Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't done a lot of research yet, but just thought I'd throw this out there to see if someone else has had this problem.
Went for about an hour ride this morning. On the way back about two blocks from home the front brakes locked up. The brake lever was stiff and the bike would not roll. With the help of a friend I got my bike stands and lifted the bike. The front wheel was locked. After going for tools and contemplating the situation, I was able to turn the front wheel. So, I was able to ride it home. This has never happened before. I don't think it is the master cylinder, so I suspect it's something with the calipers. Any thoughts?
2005 CBR1000rr

Thanks

·
A1 SuperMod!
1,029 Posts
If it happens again, the way to diagnose this issue is to open the bleed valve the next time the brakes are locked and see if they unlock. If that fixes the problem then the issue is master cylinder. If not, then the issue is caliper.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Master cylinder return bleed orifice (I gave it that name since I never did find the actual name) is blocked.

Grab an MC rebuild kit and R&R and give it a thorough cleaning clean and you will be on your way.
I second this.

When its time for my brake service i clean the o-rings within the rotars with wd-40 to get all the dust and dirt out and make sure they spin, then I wipe everything down with break cleaner. Its about time i do this...

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the tips. I ordered a MC rebuild kit today. I've never done that, so it will be one more thing that I've taken apart on the bike. I guess if I can rebuild the front forks, I should be able to do the Master Cylinder.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks...will do. The odd thing is, after everything cooled down the lever is back to normal and the wheel sins fine???
Things went back to "normal" due to heat dissipation. I'd suggest not riding again until you get it sorted. When heat builds up from use and typical brake drag, the fluid will expand and cause the brakes to lock up again. Not something you want to happen on the twisties through Oak Creek Canyon or Yarnell Hill.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Things went back to "normal" due to heat dissipation. I'd suggest not riding again until you get it sorted. When heat builds up from use and typical brake drag, the fluid will expand and cause the brakes to lock up again. Not something you want to happen on the twisties through Oak Creek Canyon or Yarnell Hill.
Wise words.- my brakes did a similar thing... so instead of packing it in and going home to fix it, I decided to take the bike out for one more run since the problem was gone after the brakes cooled

Things could have ended very differently. I rebulilt the master the next weekend!!!

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep....same as the video, only I wasn't doing 150mph. It's the strangest feeling because you just can't move the bike. Mine was sitting in the middle of the road with me directing traffic until my friends showed up. Mostly embarrassing. Anyway, I'm just waiting for the mail to bring my rebuild kit.
Thanks everybody. I appreciate the help on this forum.

·
SuperMod
914 Posts
just waiting for the mail to bring my rebuild kit.
Thanks everybody. I appreciate the help on this forum.
While waiting for the rebuild kit to come in, get one of these:

Will make your life so much easier.
And you will use it when you rebuild the clutch M/C.

I don't know if you have ever rebuilt any of the M/Cs..
You have to assemble the rubber plungers on to the piston.
use brake fluid per direction and watch out for the rubber plunger jumping off.
When trying to put the plungers on the piston, one of them slipped and few 6-8 feet away from me. Lucky I found the f'ing thing.

·
SuperMod
914 Posts
I second this.

When its time for my brake service i clean the o-rings within the rotars with wd-40 to get all the dust and dirt out and make sure they spin, then I wipe everything down with break cleaner. Its about time i do this...
A while back, a local guy posted a story about a ride when he went to brake hard and the bike endo-ed. He didn't think he braked hard enough for that to happen.

Some people speculated it was due to old brake fluid with to much moisture. During his ride, the brake got hot and at that particular hard stop something boiled, expanded, and locked the brakes.

So.. what are people's thought on this theory? BS? could be true?

could it just be old brake fluid?

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MC rebuild done. No real issues, Made sure I cleaned everything out good. Only reservation I have is I didn't see anything wrong with what was there. Brakes seem to function just pushing the bike. Too hot out right now. Will test ride tomorrow.

Can't really say about heat and old brake fluid. Neither would have contributed to my problem.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Did you see that really small orifice in the master? Its smaller than a pin point. That can get clogged by debris that might be agitated in the hot brake fluid.

That orifice allows the fluid to bleed back into the reservoir.

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't say I saw something smaller than a pin point....where is that? I did spray out everything inside the MC with cleaner, and the two holes at the back of the cylinder were clear.

·
A1 SuperMod!
1,029 Posts
Now that I realize you have a much older bike, have you ever serviced the brake lines or banjo bolts? Honda OEM banjo bolts are NOT stainless and will slowly react with water in the brake line to form this crusty white deposit that can block off orfices.

·
A1 SuperMod!
1,029 Posts
For your safety I strongly recommend upgrading the brake lines if it's still all stock after all these years. Those little pieces can break off, sink, and accumulate in lower parts of the system for example caliper fittings. I believe stock has a steel splitter down low and that will also form these deposits over time. Here is a caliper banjo bolt I took from my 2007 CBR600RR when I was installing stainless lines. I'm not exaggerating by any means.

I cleaned off most of the deposits on the outside with a wire brush and poked around with a screwdriver inside but ended up trashing the bolt because it's too corroded. Lines are relatively cheap and you don't have to worry about it for a long time when you are far from home.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts