Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 RR. From my research, the specific shock model I'm looking for is HO 604. The HO 347 is meant for the 04-05 RR's, but will fit my 06. It just has slightly different compression dampening valving based on the revised linkage of the 06-07 RR's.
If anyone has a used shock they are looking to sell(HO 604 or HO 347), I'd certainly be interested.

I'm in Roseville, CA

·
Registered
2015 Honda CBR 1000rr non ABS
1,756 Posts
I know a used shock will save you money upfront but when you consider needing to have it serviced and then most likely needing to have it sprung for your weight you are better off just buying new.

Just my take on it anyway

Might also want to look into having your stock shock upgraded with new valving and have it rebuilt/serviced at the same time. Save you about half the cost of a new Ohlins shock and if you're not competitively racing should be more than enough improvement over stock

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know a used shock will save you money upfront but when you consider needing to have it serviced and then most likely needing to have it sprung for your weight you are better off just buying new.

Just my take on it anyway

Might also want to look into having your stock shock upgraded with new valving and have it rebuilt/serviced at the same time. Save you about half the cost of a new Ohlins shock and if you're not competitively racing should be more than enough improvement over stock
Thank you for your input on this. I haven't been able to find a new shock anywhere in the U.S. I see some on ebay that are in Italy and France, but they are asking anywhere from $1,300 (HO 347) to $1,900 (HO 604). I'm not racing, just canyon runs and an occasional track days. I've just been told that there is nothing like having Ohlins suspension on your bike. You get a plush and compliant ride that is well controlled, like a Cadillac and a Porsche at the same time. Kyle Racing says there's nothing better. I've ridden a couple of bikes that come with Ohlins from the factory, Ducati 1198 and Triumph speed triple, and was quite impressed. My bike is of course is out of date compared to those bikes, but I've owned it since new and just really like it, so am looking to make it a bit better and keep riding it.
I'm planning on having the stock forks serviced and upgraded with Ohlins FPK piston kit and springs. Do you have any experience with servicing and upgrading the factory shock? I've been told that I'd be much better off replacing with an Ohlins, even if used and needing servicing and spring for my weight. I've also been told that Penske is the next best option.

·
Registered
2015 Honda CBR 1000rr non ABS
1,756 Posts
I would agree with the statement Ohlin is the best you can buy.
If you are ok with the cost associated with having the best than you are looking in the right direction.

MANY others have gone the route of k-tech, panske, Racetech, or other with varying levels of improvement over stock and are happy with the results.
I would never try and discourage anyone from going with Ohlins suspension as they are clearly the "best" available but for who and at what cost for how much of an improvement over the others available?

Suspension upgrades in escillating levels of improvement (and cost) :

1. Having your suspension set up correctly for you by a pro
2. Springs for your weight
3. Revalving
4. Cartridge kits
5. Aftermarket forks/shock

From what I have gathered in my 3 years of reading, research, and talking with others who have gone the suspension upgrade route I am opting for Racetech. I am sending my suspension (both forks and shock) to them for revalve and service. The cost will be around $1500 for all involved. $350 of that is labor which I am comfortable with.

As far as servicing the rear shock the stock shock is considered "non serviceable" which means they cannot be taken to just anyone for service. They were designed as a throw away item.
There are many sources to have them serviced (rebuilt with oil, nitrogen, seals, etc)

·
a d m i n
151,001 Posts
I must have missed the PM with pics??
Perhaps you didn't realize, you had 2 of nearly the same accounts, (same IP addresses), I merged them together in lieu of banning them both as per the age old rules.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indeed I did not realize that I had 2 accounts set up. I guess my age is starting to show through in the degradation of my organizational skills. Thank you for your understanding and for merging the accounts rather than banning them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts