Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone through 2 Shoei RF-1000's and loved them. Having just come off of a 70 mph low side and needing a new lid, I'm looking into the X-Eleven (Tamada TC-6).

Has anyone had both? I'm curious to see if the price increase means a better helmet. I have loved every Shoei I ever had, so I doubt it wouldn't be anything but a quality lid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have both (Caster, Kiyonari). The X-eleven flows more air for sure. The liner is also different. I would say the X-11's liner breaths better. It is also removable for cleaning. That's a pretty big deal, because cleaning the rf-1000 is a pain in the ass. That being said, the rf-1000 is more aerodynamic and does not buffet as much as the x-11. To me the X-11 is more comfortable overall, but that may vary with head shape. You can't go wrong with either, they're both great looking helmets!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I will be watching this post to see what turns up as I was considering replacing my X-11 with a RF-1000 as it is getting old.
If I could afford another X-11 I would definitely buy another. Consider looking at Shark helmets as my riding buddy bought one last year and raves about it. If you have the time check out the helmet reviews at webbikeworld.com as they review the X-11 and quite a few others. Good luck and please let us know how the X-11 compares if you decide to pull the trigger on that model!

·
Mr. Bish
32,613 Posts
I have both (Caster, Kiyonari). That being said, the rf-1000 is more aerodynamic and does not buffet as much as the x-11.
I can't say that I agree. I noticed (even when turning my head to the side) that the X11 was much more stable @ speed than the 1000.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i take the rf-1000 in to the shower with me and give it a shampoo. then i rinse it thoroughly. i take a towel and get as much moisture out of it as possible. then i take a blow dryer and prop it to point into the opening where the shield goes on low heat. i let it go like that for 20 mins or so, and its dry. yes this is a fire hazard, so make sure that the dryer is pointed at empty space, and is not against the liner.

if you're not comfortable with using a blow dryer, then i'm sure you can just let it sit overnight. i was just worried about mold, but if you cleaned it well, its probably not a problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have both the RF and X-11 and I like everything about the X-11 more.

I do have an oval head though and as mentioned the X-11 is more of an oval shape. I went to larger cheek pads on the RF and that helped a lot. The X-11 is lighter though, flows air better when vents are open, and less when vents are closed. It is also quieter even with the vents open then the RF. The material used in the the X-11 is also more comfortable in my opinion. I don't think you can go wrong with either model though. The X-11 is pricey and the RF worked great until I had the dough to drop on it. You can't go wrong with either if the fit works for you, I have a ZOX, SY-MAX, and HJC and I'll take my RF or X-11 over any of those.

·
Kamikaze
14,397 Posts
i take the rf-1000 in to the shower with me and give it a shampoo. then i rinse it thoroughly. i take a towel and get as much moisture out of it as possible. then i take a blow dryer and prop it to point into the opening where the shield goes on low heat. i let it go like that for 20 mins or so, and its dry. yes this is a fire hazard, so make sure that the dryer is pointed at empty space, and is not against the liner.

if you're not comfortable with using a blow dryer, then i'm sure you can just let it sit overnight. i was just worried about mold, but if you cleaned it well, its probably not a problem.
I gotta say that's the most bizarre way of cleaning a helmet I've ever heard, but if it works that's awesome. I've never cleaned the inside of my helmets before, I've had friends tell me they have used fabrize inside their helmets but that's about it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wear a Medium RF1000 and think the Medium X-11 seems to be more comfortable from trying them on. The air flow is a big factor for me so when it comes time to replace the RF I'll be looking at the X11.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I've run a test on an Arai RX7 (top of the line) against the Shoei X11. Both were purchased at the same ti me. The Shoei is the better helmet in terms of comfort, weight, airflow, and noise. The Arai has held up better however. I like the Shoei better in every regards except that I wish it held up as well as the Arai. It's really splitting hairs to be honest.

·
Mr. Bish
32,613 Posts
I've run a test on an Arai RX7 (top of the line) against the Shoei X11. Both were purchased at the same ti me. The Shoei is the better helmet in terms of comfort, weight, airflow, and noise. The Arai has held up better however. I like the Shoei better in every regards except that I wish it held up as well as the Arai. It's really splitting hairs to be honest.
Could you please elaborate on "held up as well as the Arai?"

I've yet to notice any deterioration with mine in any regard.

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The X-11 is definitely the most aerodynamic and best air flow helmet on the market. The only gripe i have about it is that it's quite noisy (which is expected due to superb airflow) and that the x-11 and the corsair V is not "long face friendly"...my chin likes to 'sneak out' of the bottom of my lid sometimes...other than that, it's an amazing helmet, especially at the track

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.