Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Im looking into a CBR 1000, I am researching years and the 08 seems to be the one with the oil burning issue. Should I stay away from buying an 08?
Is that why there are many 08's for sale ?
Thanks for your help

·
This or That guy
1,737 Posts
I'd stay away purely on the look alone, nose fairing looks like someone walked up and punched it in the face.haha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
bought an '08 in may. put over 2k miles on it in twisties, flat highway and city riding and seen nothing abnormal as far as oil loss. that being said, i haven't taken it to a track day yet.

·
Locked and Loaded
457 Posts
I'd stay away purely on the look alone, nose fairing looks like someone walked up and punched it in the face.haha.

Yeaaaah that front is the reason I went with an 06 07. It's the all time sexiest. I go to bike nights all the time. People don't even look twice at the 08+ CBRs :stirpot: walk right by it and come talk to me and complement the pure sex that my bike is.

I would say whatever model you choose. Take it to the dealership with the seller. Pay the $100 for the check up and diagnostic. They found stuff on my bike that I used as negotiation points and negotiated the bike price down $1000. That was definitely worth the $100 not to mention the peace of mind. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
There's a reason the 08-09 was winning all the shootouts. Its a top notch package for the street. Park one next to an 07. The 07 looks like a whale. If you wanna buy a bike to look good in the lot, so be it. But imo the 08+ looks better also. See if you can ride them back to back. No comparison in performance.

·
This or That guy
1,737 Posts
They're performance machines separated by a year of improvements, how much more are you really wanting out of it? You can always make it faster..but you can't change the style of it.

I have an '07, she is pure sex in machine form...haha

·
Locked and Loaded
457 Posts
They're performance machines separated by a year of improvements, how much more are you really wanting out of it? You can always make it faster..but you can't change the style of it.

I have an '07, she is pure sex in machine form...haha
+100

None of us are Rossi, both are superbikes. But the 06 07 CBR1000RR are one of the all time sexiest bikes.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Yeaaaah that front is the reason I went with an 06 07. It's the all time sexiest. I go to bike nights all the time. People don't even look twice at the 08+ CBRs :stirpot: walk right by it and come talk to me and complement the pure sex that my bike is.
So you bought the earlier version for Bike Night posing? :th_SmlyROFL:

That's cool though, whatever floats yer boat. :cool: I once thought like you do but once I rode one, I could care less how "ugly" it looked.

PS: And I'm sorry but as far as the "all-time sexiest literbike", that award must go to the R1 (1998-2008), even if they screwed up in 2009.

·
Locked and Loaded
457 Posts
So you bought the earlier version for Bike Night posing? :th_SmlyROFL:
Nope, because I wanted a Honda and it was the only one that did not look like this

Anything Yamaha :throwup:

If I wanted "more performance" I would have gone with the 08 09 ZX10R but I do care about how ugly it looks. So I went with the dead sexy 06 CBR.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If I wanted "more performance" I would have gone with the 08 09 ZX10R but I do care about how ugly it looks. So I went with the dead sexy 06 CBR.[/QUOTE]

+1, but you mean straight line performance, right!?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Anything Yamaha :throwup:

If I wanted "more performance" I would have gone with the 08 09 ZX10R but I do care about how ugly it looks. So I went with the dead sexy 06 CBR.
Fair enough, we agree to disagree then. I had three R1's of different vintages and got compliments on each. Keep attending your Bike Nights. :wave: Me, I prefer track duty regardless of what the bike looks like. :thumbsup:

PS: Oh yeah, that 2004 R1 is 6 years gone but I have yet another "ugly" bike...

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
I have and 08 and doesnt burn oil, if you rev it allways to max maybe a half quart in 3000 miles.i love my bike and much better than the 07 and i smoke one on a trafic light and the guy asked me do i have after marked parts, and back in that time i had only two bros pipe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aside from looks, My main concern is burning oil. I am coming across many
08's for sale.
Shall i consider an 08? Is there a way I can tell if it burns oil? Shall i just stay away from the 08? And look for a 06 or 07.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Shall i consider an 08? Is there a way I can tell if it burns oil? Shall i just stay away from the 08? And look for a 06 or 07.
Thanks
Don't compromise performance for what a handful of people think looks better. The 08+ is light years better in every performance aspect of previous years and you won't cook your butt on hot days with an undertail exhaust that looks like a loaded diaper from the back. :thumbsup:

I have an 08 with a little less than 15,000 miles. It does not burn oil. Not all of them do but you'll get a higher amount of the ones that do whose owners migrate to the forums to complain about it and thus people think they ALL have an oil issue. Not the case.

Also, remember that the 08s were selling for less than $7,000 with rebates, brand new from the dealer at one time. Just something to consider when you compare prices.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do I know if the 08 I am looking at burns oil? Is there certain Vins, that had the issues with the piston rings?
Is there a way I can tell if the bike is burning alot of oil?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
There doesn't seem to be any relation to the VIN, the build date and whether or not it burns oil. A really honest seller will tell you. Look into his face, ask if it burns oil and study his reaction to see if he's being truthful.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes there are a lot of 08 for sale, for a reason. My opinion: avoid them. Go with a 09 or above. Done. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
So anyone buying classic cars for looks is a tool and should only buy brand new cars because they perform better?

I know it's not the exact same comparison but far more people ride sport bikes casually than on the track and there is zero difference from 06-07 to 08 from a casual stand point. Both are amazing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
How do I know if the 08 I am looking at burns oil? Is there certain Vins, that had the issues with the piston rings?
You will have to decide for yourself if you like the looks of the 08, no one can decide that you for. It's an updated machine, and it does perform better than previous generations, no one can argue that (although I'm sure they will)

As far as the oil burning, it will probably burn oil; It's just a matter of how much. You could start the bike, let it warm up a bit, bit it a few blips on the throttle and watch for smoke. I would personally just accept the fact that you will be adding a little oil every now and then. If you can't accept that possibly, then move on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts