Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
So anyone buying classic cars for looks is a tool and should only buy brand new cars because they perform better?

I know it's not the exact same comparison but far more people ride sport bikes casually than on the track and there is zero difference from 06-07 to 08 from a casual stand point. Both are amazing.
BUT, there is a huge difference from an ACTUAL stand point ;) New engine for 08+, + +

IF you don't want better performance, get any bike because of how it "looks".

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nope, because I wanted a Honda and it was the only one that did not look like this

Anything Yamaha :throwup:

If I wanted "more performance" I would have gone with the 08 09 ZX10R but I do care about how ugly it looks. So I went with the dead sexy 06 CBR.
haha, this is exactly what I thought when I had my 07 when the 08's first came out. However, after getting an 08 with 5k miles on it a year ago, I can't believe I didnt make the switch sooner. IMO, the 07 is garbage compared to the 08 in every aspect; power, handling, comfort, etc.
My bike has seen two track days in the past two months, and now has almost 14k miles. No excessive oil burning yet, usually only about half a quart every 3k miles or so. Although, I will be changing oil every third track day seeing as in the bike does not see the road while I am away at college.

IMO, the 07 looks out of date, with the small wedge-like lights smushed down at the bottom of an oversized, pointy nose. Included in this package is a fat ass and an ugly under-tail exhaust. I had a black 07 with fender elim and a few other mods and never got compliments on it. I got more compliments on my 08 in the first month than I did in three years with the 07. Again this is all my opinion, but I would take an 07 600 over the 1000 any day purely because of the way it looks. I had an 07 600 but totalled it, and for some reason my parents surprised me with an 07 1k...wouldve sold it for an 07 600 if it were my money but I didn't want to come across ungrateful. Loved it while I had it, but happy to have the 08

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
So anyone buying classic cars for looks is a tool and should only buy brand new cars because they perform better?

I know it's not the exact same comparison but far more people ride sport bikes casually than on the track and there is zero difference from 06-07 to 08 from a casual stand point. Both are amazing.
I have a few friends who own classic cars and they drive them sparingly. They dont own them for performance. We buy motorcycles to ride first. Not sit in the driveway or at a show like a classic car. Yes the 07 is a great machine for sure. But the 08-09 is a jump in performance at basically no jump in price for used machines. Honda sold a ton of 08s on rebate. As did kawi with the zx10. I bought a 08 zx10 in '10 new below dealer cost (and sold it because it wasnt as good as the 08 09 Hondas I own) Suk didnt even import liter bikes that year!!! The economy tanked in the later part of the last decade. NOBODY was selling liter bikes. Dont blame there being tons of Hondas for sale on oil burning and looks. Thats ignorant. They just sold more of them. Its simple.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The 08+ is far superior to the 07's. Idk what is so "sexy" about the 07's? If u want a nice looking bike get an r6 or r1. If u want something on the performance side get cbr 1k 08+. I got my 2010 for 7200 and most 07's are around 6-7k around here so cost is about the same. Anyone who says the 07 is better is just being biased cause they own one. I can say my bike is faster cause I have destroyed plenty of 06-07's. Just my .02

·
Locked and Loaded
457 Posts
Fair enough, we agree to disagree then. I had three R1's of different vintages and got compliments on each. Keep attending your Bike Nights. :wave: Me, I prefer track duty regardless of what the bike looks like. :thumbsup:

PS: Oh yeah, that 2004 R1 is 6 years gone but I have yet another "ugly" bike...

Ok broski chill your R1 and Gixxer are the best bikes in the world.

Aside from looks, My main concern is burning oil. I am coming across many
08's for sale.
Shall i consider an 08? Is there a way I can tell if it burns oil? Shall i just stay away from the 08? And look for a 06 or 07.
Thanks
Yes stay away form 08. There is a reason why they are the cheapest used 08 bikes out of the 4 companies.

and you won't cook your butt on hot days with an undertail exhaust that looks like a loaded diaper from the back. :thumbsup:
I ride in Florida in 100* weather. Never cooked my butt, never even felt it.

+1

Don't listen to all the newbs talking about performance of the 08. They are just going off what they read in magazines. I am sure there is a different Rossie or Troy Bayliss can feel. You wont.

All these people talking about how much faster they are on the track with an 08. I would put money on some of my buddies on a 500 who would smoke these guys on the track on their 08.

I can say my bike is faster cause I have destroyed plenty of 06-07's. Just my .02
And I have destroyed plenty of 08 09 CBR Gixxer and ZX10, not even mentioning the underpower Yamahas with lag in the mid range. Rider skills + light weight + correct suspension settings > minor performance gains, any day.

It's up to you, we are all bias. I just can tell you from my experience. People cream their pans over my clean 06 with the sexy Ladybird. I am parked next to 08 CBRS 11 R1s ZX10 etc. People don't even look at them twice walk pass them to look at mine. No biased that's just my observation. I say just go with the 12 :)

·
Premium Member
14,399 Posts
08+ up for sure. the 04-07 bikes are nice, just not as nice as the newer versions.

30+ pounds less.
15 or so more hp stock
much better set up for track use

dont be shy of any of the 08's. they are a very good motor. if you have to add some oil becaue it burns some, dont fret. doesnt mean the motor is trash. means the coating on the cylinder walls have been scraped away by the piston rings and you are getting a bit of blowby. with the soft coatings on the cbr, its bound to happen. keep it filled to the recommended level with oil and run the piss out of it. ill take that over something like the gsxrs had when the frames were popping at the neck.

turth be told, the 04-07 cbr's always had a problem blowing smoke because of the coating on the cylinder walls. just never as bad as the 08+.

·
208 Posts
I almost feel like you could pull the dipstick and check the oil level and that would show you something. A lot of people either don't know about the issue or are too lazy to refill it. Check it, if it's low, you'll know. If its full, ask for the hell of it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
08+ up for sure. the 04-07 bikes are nice, just not as nice as the newer versions.

30+ pounds less.
15 or so more hp stock
much better set up for track use

dont be shy of any of the 08's. they are a very good motor. if you have to add some oil becaue it burns some, dont fret. doesnt mean the motor is trash. means the coating on the cylinder walls have been scraped away by the piston rings and you are getting a bit of blowby. with the soft coatings on the cbr, its bound to happen. keep it filled to the recommended level with oil and run the piss out of it. ill take that over something like the gsxrs had when the frames were popping at the neck.

turth be told, the 04-07 cbr's always had a problem blowing smoke because of the coating on the cylinder walls. just never as bad as the 08+.
Truth, my 07 consumed more oil than my 08 does, and my 07 was street only.
Anyone who continues to believe the 07 and 08 aren't any different is ignorant. Even on the street in "casual" mountain settings, my 08 is much more fun to ride than my 07 was. I was on the 07 for three years and 20k miles, and now the 08 for a year and 10k miles. I don't give a shit about your friends and their 500's, but I do know there is a difference between the 07 and 08 in performance. I'm not Rossi, but I am a sportbikeTT A level mid-pack rider. Sorry if I come off strong, just my .02:thumbsup:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ok broski chill your R1 and Gixxer are the best bikes in the world.

Don't listen to all the newbs talking about performance of the 08. They are just going off what they read in magazines. I am sure there is a different Rossie or Troy Bayliss can feel. You wont.

All these people talking about how much faster they are on the track with an 08. I would put money on some of my buddies on a 500 who would smoke these guys on the track on their 08.
Actually, we have both a 07 and 08 1000rr. The 08 is a better performing bike, period. I've ridden them back to back, and there is a huge difference there. You don't have to race motorcycles for a living to notice the difference, even on the street. The 07 is a great bike too, and i'm not dogging on it. I agree that ultimately it does come down to the rider's skill level though.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts