Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I know there isn't a fuel guage but what exactly happens when there is a low fuel situation, what am I looking for on the dash? Sorry, i'm at work and did not read the manual fully :p This is on a 2012.

Also approximately what is the range on a full tank of gas if ridden conservatively during break-in (under 6k rpm and mix of fwy and city riding, no hard starts)

· Registered
5,767 Posts
The trip odometer switches to 0.0 and starts counting up. That shows how much of the 1 gallon fuel reserve you have used. As the number increases it flashes at a faster rate. When it gets to around .9 you will run out of fuel.

And there is a fuel guage, it just works the opposite of what we're all used to. If you press the B button and cycle through it there's one display that shows how many gallons you have USED. If you subtract that from the 4.7 gal capacity you'll know how much you have left.

· Registered
31 Posts
Our fuel indicator is based on amount used not amount remaining so the gauge ticks up not down. What I do is manually reset my fuel consumption indicator after every fill up. This way I know how much gas I have left before going on a ride. Ex. fuel consumption says 3.2 so I know I have 0.6 gallon left before I'm running on 1.0 gallon of reserve. At 1.0 of fuel left the gas light comes on.

· Registered
1,769 Posts
I get 38-42 mpg. my fuel light comes on with 1 gallon left. I've gone to .6, but it's not fun for me to ride on fumes.

I have a 2011.

· Registered
7,375 Posts
Not me. I usually go to the counter reads. 2-. 3
Yeap, but where i ride on the country roads there is no gas station near by. Its a lot of twisty roads with nice curves,and i am only in 2th or 3th gear with the Rpms between 5000 and 9000 and sucks that fuel in no time.
I always want to have fuel, i don't always want to watch the numbers, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3. And think how much i have left.
1 gallon on highway in 6th gear with 6000 Rpms is not the same as 1 gallon on twisty roads and in second gear on 8000 Rpms.

· Registered
23 Posts
The trip odometer switches to 0.0 and starts counting up. That shows how much of the 1 gallon fuel reserve you have used. As the number increases it flashes at a faster rate. When it gets to around .9 you will run out of fuel.

And there is a fuel guage, it just works the opposite of what we're all used to. If you press the B button and cycle through it there's one display that shows how many gallons you have USED. If you subtract that from the 4.7 gal capacity you'll know how much you have left.

Why did they made it like that?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
321 Posts
Was wondering how far the numbers went.
Usually I don't fill to the top and just round off the $ & make it neat and avoid coins. Looked at the trip meter before I went out on the weekend, 100kms, so figured I had enough to get next stop down the highway. Wrong! Light came on 30km short (oops, obviously didn't put as much in at last fill!)
Peeled off the highway & gently cruised to a small township and the meter was 0.6. However, no 95 octane, no 98. No choice but to give it a small drink of 91 octane and then brimmed it at the next major.
There's a lesson there...

· Registered
112 Posts

My reserve fuel gauge clicked up to 1.1 before it began the rapid on/off flashing so it'll go past .9 before running out. Or I was running of fumes?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts