Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a very tall bloke on an 06 blade. I've been swapping between riding various bikes over the past few weeks, and really noticed how ridiculous my riding position is on this bike.
I understand that the footpegs are high up to force a sports riding position, but my knees are so high that they actually clear the top of the tank and don't even touch the tank grips, meaning it's all forearm work to brace when i'm hard braking. I also don't get to push down on the footpegs while adjusting for cornering, as my legs are lifted and bent as much as they will physically go which doesn't allow much leverage.

I'm after some opinions on whether there exists aftermarket rearsets that will let me drop the footpegs/ move them back to lower my knees and allow me to grip the tank (most seem to be geared towards bringing them higher), or whether i just need to deal with it. I'm not too worried about affecting the ground clearance, i'm not riding like a GP rider yet, and i'm not planning to drop them too much. Is this a thing people do? I'm not trying to make a supersport feel like a tourer, just want to be able to fit on the bike!

·
Registered
2016 CBR1000RR
104 Posts
There was a thread about this a little while back and somebody posted pics of some “Knight Design” lowering foot pegs and I checked out their website because I’m considering them for myself as I’m a taller guy as well and would like to get my knees a lil lower on the tank grips

·
Registered
176 Posts
Firstly define a very tall bloke? I'm just over 6 foot (185cm)
Secondly you don't want to lower the foot pegs, ground clearance on the stock foot pegs is poor as it is unless you don't plan on leaning the bike? At that point why choose a super sport?
Thirdly what you want to do is move the foot pegs backwards with aftermarket rear sets and stop sitting up against the tank. You should be butt against the rear seat when riding aggressively. Again if you plan on just sitting on the thing and poodling around a super sport was the wrong choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice mate, i thought aftermarket rearsets seemed the way to go. Just wanted advice on whether it was a normal ting to do, and people's experience with it. I'll see what's available to move them back without raising any higher.
I'm 196cm. I have a few bikes at my disposal, and can assure you that when i feel like poodling around in traffic i'll take my 650 and leave the blade at home. Fireblades are for weekend funtime on country roads. I'm no prosessional, but i try to give it a good go. Part of that is getting better grip on the tank when i hit the anchors to take the pressure off my forearms. Even with my butt as far back as it will go, my legs clear the majority of the tank grips, so the only thing i can think to change this position is to move the rearsets to change the triangle of my legs and drop the knees down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up going with Bonamici rearsets. I couldn't find any stock in Australia for any footpeg lowering methods like Vario etc, so just sent with the full setup. I have it dialled as far back and low as it will go, so 2cm back and 1cm down from standard.
It has made a world of difference, and I'm super happy with it. My knees have dropped down and can now grip the tank properly. I did lose the ability to attach the rear brake light without rigging some custom bracket, and also lost an attachment point for a minor fairing that used to bolt to the stick rearsets, but overall the riding experience has improved greatly.

I don't believe there are any issues with ground clearance from lowering 1cm. I've given it a good go on some twistys near my place without scraping, but wasn't giving it 100%. I have a track day at the end of the month that will be the real test, but I don't expect any issues.

All in all, highly recommend rearsets that allow lowering and moving backwards if you are tall and struggling with knee placement.
I was going to be a cheap bastard and try some ali express rearsets, but none of them allow lowering, only upwards adjustment. Vortex and Bonamici seemed to be the best options but they don't come cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts