Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to make the first oil change on the SP '19

Do you recommend using a magnetic oil drain bolt?
If so, where could I buy one?
Any recommendations on the oil brand?
I'm going to use full synthetic.

Oil filter brand/type recommendation?

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I use magnetic. Use OEM filters. DO NOT use K&N!!!!! Many failures and bad shit happening. Most track organizations have banned them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've seen instances where the magnet part of the magnetic drain plug came loose, then gets chewed up by the motor. Talk about counter productive. For that reason I don't run one

·
a d m i n
151,011 Posts
I've seen instances where the magnet part of the magnetic drain plug came loose, then gets chewed up by the motor. Talk about counter productive. For that reason I don't run one
That's scary, I never even considered that, although mine is still the stock plug.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I read some reviews where the magnetic drain also broke.
I will use the regular plug.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I got sick of oil splashing everywhere every time I change oil and got a Stahlbus drain adapter that lets me neatly drain into a bottle with not a drop spilled. Best drain plug IMO. Genius design and doesn't have a valve so don't have to worry about it coming loose.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I got sick of oil splashing everywhere every time I change oil and got a Stahlbus drain adapter that lets me neatly drain into a bottle with not a drop spilled. Best drain plug IMO. Genius design and doesn't have a valve so don't have to worry about it coming loose.

View attachment 261133
That actually looks really cool, and because of the CBR oil pan design, it looks like you don't have any reduced ground clearance issues like you might have on some bikes.

·
a d m i n
151,011 Posts
That's pretty neat!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like this design, no chance of the scenario which HP17 described, as the magnet is not inside the drain pan (link to Amazon Review):

No idea what those shards are, but glad this plug pulled them out! '07 1000rr, +80K miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
I find it very hard to happen. Even if the magnet gets loose, it will stick on the bottom of the oil pan - no way it will travel upwards. That's got to be a very crappy non magnetic magnet. LOL

I actually use very strong magnets on the outside of the drain bolt. I stack 2 watch battery size ones together, the bolt does get magnetized. It is literally a PITA to remove those magnets after they "stick" to a metal surface. That's why I believe there is no chance the above could happen. Plus, I have never seen a magnetic bolt that the magnet is separate, they are one magnetized bolt.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I find it very hard to happen. Even if the magnet gets loose, it will stick on the bottom of the oil pan - no way it will travel upwards. That's got to be a very crappy non magnetic magnet. LOL

I actually use very strong magnets on the outside of the drain bolt. I stack 2 watch battery size ones together, the bolt does get magnetized. It is literally a PITA to remove those magnets after they "stick" to a metal surface. That's why I believe there is no chance the above could happen. Plus, I have never seen a magnetic bolt that the magnet is separate, they are one magnetized bolt.

First off, the oil pan is aluminum on most all motorcycles including every gen fireblade.
Second, whether it's very hard to happen or not, it's a chance I see no good reason to take.
Third, a magnetic bolt is almost always weaker than a standard bolt, hence more likely to strip or fail.
Fourth, no, magnetic bolts are not one big magnet ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts

Fourth, no, magnetic bolts are not one big magnet ;)
I am sure I said “magnetized bolt.” Actually I said exactly that. LOL. Not sure where the one big magnet bolt was interpreted from.

Anyway, the magnets I got will stick to the outside of pan like glue. And on the incident you mentioned, yes, I did not say that cannot happen, but it does not say it went up the motor. It is stuck on the pan, which I am 100% sure I also said should happen. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am sure I said “magnetized bolt.” Actually I said exactly that. LOL. Not sure where the one big magnet bolt was interpreted from.

Anyway, the magnets I got will stick to the outside of pan like glue. And on the incident you mentioned, yes, I did not say that cannot happen, but it does not say it went up the motor. It is stuck on the pan, which I am 100% sure I also said should happen. :)
"Plus, I have never seen a magnetic bolt that the magnet is separate, they are one magnetized bolt"
Mate those are your words. How else am I supposed to interpret that LOL

No the magnets you have will not stick to the pan like glue. Go try it and let me know how that goes :)

Did you read where the one guy couldn't get his bike into 4th gear because the magnet stuck to and jammed his shift fork? Did you say that would happen?

FWIW I like your idea of having the magnets on the outside, using the stock bolt (y)

·
Moderator RR-R
29 Posts
This is one fastener that should probably be steel. Titanium and aluminum aren't magnetic, and with a steel bolt you can use external magnets. I don't think the magnetic piece would go anywhere with a steel fastener, but the external magnet(s) are an easy way to avoid any issues. The (steel) fastener itself will become magnetic.

San

1 - 16 of 16 Posts