Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you riding CBR600RR and the older CBR1000RR where your bike has an under-tail exhaust, how do you manage the heat streams rising from under the seat and slipping up on the side to your butt? The ambient temp went up to 92 F degrees yesterday when I went for a 30 mile ride and my butt felt really steaming halfway through the ride. I had to stand up on the pegs to air it a little every once in a while. I am riding a 2005 CBR1000RR.

I did check the heat-shields & they looked fine. Previous owner installed an RC-5 Yoshimura slip-on. How do I know if the heat-shield is not installed correctly?

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Yoshimura undertail exhaust kits come with reflective aluminum tape to help dissipate the heat. It's the kind of shiny tape used in HVAC and dryer ducts. This supposedly reflects heat better than the stock aluminum heat shields. I had a 2007 CBR600RR prior and can relate to the heat you are describing. Nice in the winter though.

Reactions: artthury

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Yoshimura undertail exhaust kits come with reflective aluminum tape to help dissipate the heat. It's the kind of shiny tape used in HVAC and dryer ducts. This supposedly reflects heat better than the stock aluminum heat shields. I had a 2007 CBR600RR prior and can relate to the heat you are describing. Nice in the winter though.
Yes, I do see the selective heat shield underneath the seat.

I agree that in the winter, it would be a nice seat warmer.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
For those of you riding CBR600RR and the older CBR1000RR where your bike has an under-tail exhaust, how do you manage the heat streams rising from under the seat and slipping up on the side to your butt? The ambient temp went up to 92 F degrees yesterday when I went for a 30 mile ride and my butt felt really steaming halfway through the ride. I had to stand up on the pegs to air it a little every once in a while. I am riding a 2005 CBR1000RR.

I did check the heat-shields & they looked fine. Previous owner installed an RC-5 Yoshimura slip-on. How do I know if the heat-shield is not installed correctly?

I've seen a lot of people with 04-07's wrap their exhaust from the bottom of the headers down to the mid pipe and can.
It's not the sexiest thing to do aesthically, but it is def. functional.

I have a full titanium akrapovic exhaust, i've had no issues with heat from under.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link for the wrap. I read that the wraps will keep the heat in and actually improve flow and gas consumption?

Curiously, do they put these in actual race bikes ?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just chiming in since I have an 05 as well. I have an M4 slip-on under-tail. It does have a trimmed version of the stock metal heat shield above the slip-on. I think the suggestion of the reflective heat shield is a good idea. The ones with the self adhesive foam backing would be easiest to use.
I've not had much of a problem, however I do not ride in temps above 80....actually more like 75. If I have to leave at 6:00 AM to avoid heat, I will. I won't ride without protective gear either. Unless you are forced to ride in high heat, then go for the heat shield products.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here's something to think about before you wrap your exhaust: (scroll all the way to the bottom for wraps)

There's a question about the longevity of a long-term wrapped pipes. I guess everything in engineering is a trade-off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Chiming in if it will help. I had an '06 1000RR with both OEM exhaust/heat shield and an M4 slip-on + $30 ebay black plastic-type shield. I never noticed any sort of heat emanating from the exhaust.

This might be specific to your year/model and/or muffler?

·
Registered
428 Posts

Hello @artthury 😉

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have added more reflective materials to cover the rest of the areas that are not covered by the Yoshi-provided ones.
I'll live with it for now. Went for a 73 mile ride yesterday and it didn't feel as bad but ambient temperature was less than 85 degrees F., so it wasn't a fair comparison.
When I feel more motivated, I may get a "new" OEM muffler from eBay and revert it back to stock.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have added more reflective materials to cover the rest of the areas that are not covered by the Yoshi-provided ones.
I'll live with it for now. Went for a 73 mile ride yesterday and it didn't feel as bad but ambient temperature was less than 85 degrees F., so it wasn't a fair comparison.
When I feel more motivated, I may get a "new" OEM muffler from eBay and revert it back to stock.
You wearing gear?
On my 06 with an Akro slip on
I never felt heat from the undertail exhaust but then again I always wear full gear including a leather jacket with CE2 back protector so maybe there was heat I just didn't feel it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes, I always wear gear but mine are all synthetic.
I still feel the heat waves slipping up from under the seat when I was waiting for lights yesterday.
Same as the heat waves rising in the front, behind the radiator from the engine itself.

Engine temperature hovered around 83-87 degrees C. when moving but waiting for lights, it quickly went to 106 or so, which kicked in the fan.
Coolant was last checked a couple of days ago and I topped it off to MAX.

While I was changing the engine oil 3 days ago, I added more reflective materials along the lower fairings over the original reflective materials.

All other fluids are all replaced recently (less than 2 weeks ago).

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You mean 183-186 f and 206 f or are you talking celcius?

In any event you are going to feel some heat off the engine especially when the fans are on as they blow the heat right on your legs. It's a sportbike, you are basically sitting on an engine with wheels.
Try jumping on a Harley and then tell me about engine heat!
Could it have just been a slight tail wind blowing the exhaust heat on your back?
A heat shield will only keep the fairings, bike, frame, etc from soaking up radiant heat. It's not gonna stop hot air from blowing on your back or legs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You mean 183-186 f and 206 f or are you talking celcius?
Yes, degrees C. I corrected my post.
Forgot that mine is a European bike and I cannot change it to F. Totally forgot about it.

In any event you are going to feel some heat off the engine especially when the fans are on as they blow the heat right on your legs. It's a sportbike, you are basically sitting on an engine with wheels.
Try jumping on a Harley and then tell me about engine heat!
Could it have just been a slight tail wind blowing the exhaust heat on your back?
A heat shield will only keep the fairings, bike, frame, etc from soaking up radiant heat. It's not gonna stop hot air from blowing on your back or legs.
Yup, understood.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
One thing you can do with an ECU flash is lower the fan on Temps. At least with the SC59 anyway, not sure about the older models.
My bike (with samco hose kit, engine ice, and lower fan on Temps) runs around 175-185 F while moving and on real hot days over 95 F ambient Temps and high humidity I've seen Temps around 210 F at a long stop light.
Honestly not much of a dirrerence from stock although I'd bet track riders would benefit from lower max temps

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Jardine carbon fiber exhaust on my 05 1000. It helps but I rarely ride when the air temps are over 80. If I do, I ride out to the country where the speed limits are higher, no traffic and I can keep air flowing through the bike. This helps keep me and the bike happy!

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
On my 06 I have had a M4 slip on, an Arata slip on and a full Akra system. I have never noticed heat from the tail. But I do wear full leathers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The heat from the joint pipe that connects the header to the “can” will get my right leg hot if sitting in traffic for a long period of time. I’ve thought about wrapping it with heat wrap to reduce the heat defection.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts