Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Marchesini M10 magnesium rim life

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  J D 
#1 ·
I'm sick of looking at my nasty oem 3 spokers so I'm thinking of getting a set of Marchesini M10 rims and am hung up chosing between the magnesiums and aluminums.
I want to know if there are any cons to getting the mags over the aluminums other then the extra damage to the pocketbook.

I have heard rumors that the mags deteriorate over time and the exposed magnesium hub area will start to corrode. Anyone know if this is true?

Also I was looking at an application list and saw 2 different width sizes listed for the front rim (MY04-07). Can someone tell me the width of the oem front rim?

I don't mind the aluminums and in fact like the anodized finish better compared to the paint on the mags but if I can get a lighter rim without sacraficing longevity or anthing else it worth it to me to go for the mags.

thanks in advance,
Mugen

#11 ·
I wouldn't waste my money on Aluminum... If you are going to spend big bucks for performance then get the better & lighter magnesium wheels and be done with it.

Any wheel will fail if you torture it enough and even the best wheels can easily be ruined by the rogue pothole so you have to be a little more cautious when riding period.

Also be aware that where the weight is positioned on the wheel directly affects the gyroscopic effect so you can't really compare the differences between aluminum & magnesium wheels & say well it's only a few ounces differences because even though the wheel weights may be very close the magnesium is a stronger material and can have less weight on the out rim of the wheel.

You can even have 2 wheels that weigh the same and just because one of them has more weight in the center towards the hub that wheel will benefit you more because it has less gyroscopic effect.

#14 ·
Well in spite of my "go big or go home" philosophy about the mags versus the aluminum, due to the phone calls I got from you guys about this thread I have gloss black aluminum Marchesini's for you 08-09 guys!

Special pricing while supplies last.

Should also be noted that pricing on the forged magnesium has gone through the damn roof (upwards of $4000) so the cheaper aluminum wheels are starting to look a lot more attractive in fact I am thinking about buying a set myself

#15 ·
I ran Marchesini magnesium wheels for years on multiple bikes (the old 5 spoke). A pair of Dymag and a set of PM wheels (I'm dating myself here). The majority of these were track bikes. The PM wheels got bent every few weekends, the Dymag I could never get cush drive bearings in a reasonable amount of time.

The old Marchesini Magnesium wheels I never had a problem with other than eating cush drive bearings - but that wasn't really the wheels fault. I bent the hoop on one front at Sebring, but I basically ran over a huge hole in the concrete (coming onto the back straight at the old track (I think this was a runway)) leaned over at well over 100mph. Didn't let the air out and was not noticable riding, but I could see it whenever I mounted a tire.

I myself am not comfortable with CF wheels yet.

#16 ·
Of course, looking back at the pictures now - the old ones look pretty indestructible. And I think they were over 20 pounds lighter a set than OE. . . Probably not very relevant to todays wheels.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.