Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a Michelin fella for the past 20, they only seem to get better.

always love the crowned tires they make that turn in a nanosecond.

I mostly do fast, twisty road riding, thinking these P Fives will be a more lasting choice than the Mich Power RS's, but I'm now leaning towards the RS's.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Like you I am addicted to the michelin narrow profile and the condifence you get on full lean.

But they have softened the pointed crown compared to the original pilot power & 2CT

2015HRC have you checked out www.tyretest.com?

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did notice that a bit wt the Road 4’s I had on my previous ZX14R, but turn-in was still excellent as was grip & feedback.

I believe I’ll give these Power 5’s a try, and report back.

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the first time, I’ve been maintaining the factory reco’d pressures of 36F, 42R, and after several dozen fast twisty rides, all worked well wt the oem Bridge RS’s.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It seems some have good results with the recommended pressures and others do not at all. I for one could not bare the torture ride with high tire pressures and rear tire spin/slip.
Then again the owners manual tells you to be in 6th gear by 40mph which I can barely ride the bike as recommended due to 0 torque and throttle response let alone the constant shifting

·
Registered
294 Posts
I run the michelins on 40 rear & 35 front; no lower. I tried lower pressures but did not like the handling nor the steering; I am talking about road riding.

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run the michelins on 40 rear & 35 front; no lower. I tried lower pressures but did not like the handling nor the steering; I am talking about road riding.
Which Mich's do you run?

·
Registered
294 Posts
pilot power 2005>2019 on VFR & CBR (yes that long because they are so good!)
pilot power 3 on CBR 2019> (so as quick handling & leaning but hopefully better mileage)

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pilot power 2005>2019 on VFR & CBR (yes that long because they are so good!)
pilot power 3 on CBR 2019> (so as quick handling & leaning but hopefully better mileage)
Ah, gotcha. I’ve been using the PP & PP 2CT’s for what seems like several decades too.

I’m really between the Power RS, & Power 5, for aggressive street twisties, 95% dry riding, with a little distance riding thrown in.

I do notice the RS fronts are out of stock at my fave places to buy.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Incidentally how did you find and rate PP cf PP2ct’s in terms of wear & handling?

PP3’s have a stiffer carcass, PP5’s may also do

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I'm running the Michelin Power RS in Fr 120/70 & Rr 190/55 on my CBR Honda and both Ducatis (same sizes). When I bought my new-in-crate leftover 2015 CBR Repsol SP in 2018 it had the Pirellis on it, which I swapped out to the Michelins within a few miles. I've run the Pirelli SuperCorsas which came as new on the 1198SP Ducati. They worked well at the limit, but EVERY time you wanted to push on them, you would need to get the sides up to temp with a few slides before they would grip well. This was even after many miles of riding to "safer" places to rip. I learned to live with them. One of my friends finally talked me trying a set of the Michelin Power Pure back then and I've been a Michelin rider since.

Oh, and I've found MY ideal cold pressures (@ ~75 deg F in garage) are 30psi Fr and 28psi Rr. At these start pressures the tires heat up quickly and grip is great start to finish. I have yet to slide them, except the rear on the Big Dog 1198SP which has 100+ lbft torque at the wheel. It will spin under heavy throttle, but the tire doesn't snap loose, it gently looses grip gradually, so you can feel it for correction long before it steps way out. The 1198SP has an early technology traction control (manual throttle, so no FBW) that retards timing and eventually cut spark to slow the rear spin. If a tire lets go sharply and completely the TC really can't keep up, so you likely crash!

Reactions: J D

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Incidentally how did you find and rate PP cf PP2ct’s in terms of wear & handling?
I mean, the price is right, right? :D

They wear quick.

These newer Mich’s have seemingly much more R&D.

I’d really prefer paying a lil more, have absurdly good grip & feedback, as well as considerable longer life.

After using 2 sets of Mich Road 4’s on my former ‘15 ZX14R, I was super-impressed wt their grip on the fast Sunday burns, as well as greatly increased longevity.

I figure one of the two sets I mentioned would be the better move for even more sportier riding on my ‘18 SP.

·
L'Poser
10,890 Posts
Michelin Power Cup 2s. Excellent tire, No compromise. Not really good in the rain though.

·
L'Poser
10,890 Posts

·
L'Poser
10,890 Posts
I meant for a weekend of racing, :p

How long to they generally last you between street n track?
2 race weekends 300 track miles at a month and a half total. Race weekends are about 3 weeks apart. I keep the race tires on in between race weekends.

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 race weekends 300 track miles at a month and a half total. Race weekends are about 3 weeks apart. I keep the race tires on in between race weekends.
That’s a lot of heat cycles. Pretty sweet they hold up for 2 race weekends, and everything in between.

·
L'Poser
10,890 Posts
That’s a lot of heat cycles. Pretty sweet they hold up for 2 race weekends, and everything in between.
I'm going to switch to the power slicks for the last two rounds, I could still get another race out of these but the slicks are just sitting there waiting. I was running the Power RS last year with excellent results. They hold up pretty good even with all the heat cycling would probably last longer if I used tire warmers at the track.

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to switch to the power slicks for the last two rounds, I could still get another race out of these but the slicks are just sitting there waiting. I was running the Power RS last year with excellent results. They hold up pretty good even with all the heat cycling would probably last longer if I used tire warmers at the track.
You race, but don’t use warmers?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts