Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mountain CBR here.
I’m 72 today…..
Sleeve Gesture Finger T-shirt Font

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Ski season is over, so off to Snow Bowl Road on the San Francisco Peaks….
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

It’s been a long journey with Motorcycles. I’ve always had an interest in cars and racing. Souped up some old fords as a teenager, raced a ’56 Ford at the Columbus Motor Speedway and was on a NASCAR pit crew…..

BUT….for some unknown reason I bought a motorcycle in 1973, I was 23.
I had never been on a motorcycle until I rode that Kawasaki 400 Big Horn Enduro out of the Dealership…Falls Church, Virginia.

Shortly after that I went to California, pretty much on a whim, with all my possessions, a motorcycle and the clothes on my back. Two weeks later my bike was stolen.

The insurance got me a 1974 Yamaha XS650 vertical twin…

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

I began riding around the South West, Vegas, Zion, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico….
Tire Wheel Sky Ecoregion Automotive tire

Jeans Smile Textile Sleeve Street fashion

Then came a 1976 Kawasaki 900 Z1….
That bike went from Mexico to Canada on the West Coast and then coast to coast a couple times…..
With stops such as Yellowstone along the way….
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Snow on the Continental divide….
Land vehicle Sky Vehicle Tire Motorcycle

It wasn’t long till that bike was stolen. A 1977 Yamaha 750 triple was next.
Malibu Canyon, Southern California….
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Then I met my wife of 45 years, Cathie...
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By now I was very busy as a freelance Illustrator for most of the car and motorcycle magazines. Did some test rides for Rider Magazine….
Photo shoot in Death Valley…..1979….
Wheel Font Automotive tire Landscape Vehicle

Sky People in nature Leg Flash photography Happy

1980, My art work for Kenny Robert’s promotional brochure….
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Guitar accessory

For the 1980s and 90s life got even busier. Buying cars, houses and having 4 different businesses that also required a lot of travel, and a major move from SoCal to Flagstaff, Arizona, that left sparse time for riding.

2009….back on the bike as much as possible…just for fun, not basic transportation….
Track Days at Firebird Raceway, Phoenix, Arizona….
Wheel Tire Helmet Sports gear Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Helmet Sports gear Motorcycle

In 2009 I purchased my current Honda CBR1000rr.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

It has been through numerous paint schemes, but this is the most current….
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

I guess I’ll just keep ridin’ !!!!
Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

If you are interested in my slice of Motorsports history from the 70s and 80s from a visual arts perspective, you are welcome to visit my website. www.grandcanyonart.info
Be sure to click on the links at the top....First 20 years....editorial and advertising.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Great post. Happy birthday!

I thought I was doing my part at 69. But a few days ago I hooked up with a local group who told me I have to be retired and on Medicare to ride with them. As I introduced myself to the group I discovered there is a guy 96 years old in the group. He was sitting there with a WW II Veteran cap on. He was riding a BMW 800 GT. He rode 150 miles with us and kept up fine even in moderately spirited curves and a couple of blasts up to 90 mph.

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jim.... where is that group?...maybe I should join too....LOL
That is in fact a '78 XS750 Yamaha.
The old pictures are a hoot aren't they? The young guys are goin'....WHAAAATT!!!
I'm guessing from your signature you have or had a C6 Corvette. I just sold my C5 a few months ago.

·
Registered
'18 CBR1000RR SP
753 Posts
Reactions: mountain CBR

·
Registered
‘07 CBR1000RR Repsol ‘93 Honda VFR750 ‘00 CB1000SF X-11 ‘97 CBR900RR X2
28 Posts
Happy Birthday!! I just turned 47 and I always think I will outgrow my sport bikes, but you give me new encouragement to keep riding them!

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to see some "Vintage" guys still riding. Sometimes the bikes come in and out of focus, but if we stay in pretty good physical condition, we can ride as long as we enjoy it. I always figure, if I can make the younger guys work a little harder to stay ahead of me on the twisties, I'm happy.

·
Registered
2017 CBR1000RA
37 Posts
Wow such a cool story! I think I know that bike shop in falls church va. Hahah. I’m from VA. Your story is inspiring and really awesome. Hopefully one day I’ll get to ride my bike across the country.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts