Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what motorcycle insurance you guys have for your CBR.

I had Farmers Insurance for my GSXR 1000, but they stop doing motorcycle insurance, so when I bought my 17 CBR 1000RR, I went with Allstate.

Allstate been weird, when I first joined in 2019, price was a little over $1100 for the year, then when I renewed in 2020 it was little over $300 for the year, now it time to renew again for the year and now it’s over $1900, I have gotten no tickets my driving record great, my CBR has only 1100 miles on it, going start driving it more, now that I sold my GSXR, I got the same coverage on my CBR that I had on my GSXR, only paid about $500 a year for my 06 GSXR 1000, I know a newer bike I pay more, cool with $1100 a year but not with close to 2k, I am 53 years old, so I am not a young twenty year old, that when I would expect to pay a lot.

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,018 Posts
I’ve had Progressive for a long time now, I’d pin my rates as pretty reasonable, but some different variables seem to affect every, (CBR1K), policy holder differently:

What State you’re insured in, (if you’re in the USA), your age, marital status, credit history, claim history, gender, etc.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not happening for me to have full coverage on a motorcycle. Paid off upfront, $150/year for the CBR, $400 for 3 bikes with Geico. Geico wanted $2100 for full coverage for the CBR. ROFLOL. And that with a credit score of 840, and 0 accidents/tickets. The way bikes depreciate, I will take all the risk, and in 3 years I can buy a used one for almost $7K saved, in case it is totaled.
And god forbid you use your coverage...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in the Bay Area, everything high, bike paid for, like to keep full coverage for a couple more years, biggest thing we have going on in my area, catalytic converters being stolen on cars.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
First I had Dairyland, which was the cheapest I could find. When I switched to Traveler's for my home and auto I was able to get it through them. They kept bumping up the prices each year so I went looking again. I have a car insured with Hagerty's and I was able to add the bike for about $100 a year. Note it is not a daily driver, and they asked for a mileage-per-year estimate, so YMMV.

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,556 Posts
I am 53 years old, so I am not a young twenty year old, that when I would expect to pay a lot.
The problem is you're helping to subsidize every insured idiot that shouldn't be on a bike or who parks it in a common area overnight.
To me, bikes are toys. I don't finance them and I don't pay full coverage. I just carry liability. If I break my toy, that's on me. I have health insurance so my body is covered.

Two bikes with Progressive.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First I had Dairyland, which was the cheapest I could find. When I switched to Traveler's for my home and auto I was able to get it through them. They kept bumping up the prices each year so I went looking again. I have a car insured with Hagerty's and I was able to add the bike for about $100 a year. Note it is not a daily driver, and they asked for a mileage-per-year estimate, so YMMV.
Yeah Allstate ask your mileage per year too, my Mercury insurance for my car, ask annual miles too.

·
BOTM Moderator
613 Posts
I used to shop around myself for my home / car / bikes. at some point, I talked to an agent and the quoted me better prices for all previously held policies.
They have been taking care of my various policies ever since.
Also, in my case i have multiple drivers and the agent knows some tricks to divide up the drivers between policies to get us the lowest price.

Try a few agents in your area ad also get quotes from some of the ones that dont deal with agents.

make sure you compare the same coverage.

In my case, I think Im paying 190 to commerce or basic insurance on the bike.

Again, remember to compare same levels of coverage when you compare policies.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
I used to have a specialty company (forget the name) though AOPA cover my bikes. Then they decided they weren't making enough money and got out of motorcycle coverage and sent me a letter. So I shopped around and beat their price with Progressive. At the time, we had the CBR1000, CB750 and F4i - all with full coverage for 2 riders. Sold the F4i and now I pay $507/yr.

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,018 Posts
It would be great if someone in the insurance biz could chime in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts