Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into this dude that hangs around our group sometimes today. He rides some kind of 80's Nighthawk 250cc thing. Now, this in and of itself is not a problem. The problem is, the guy can't handle the bike. It looks like it weighs like 7 pounds and he's not a small guy. It looks/sounds just like the Ninja 250 my GF used to have, which she had no problem handling, and she is pretty small. The guy revs the thing to like 8k and just dumps the clutch. We're all like, "Dude, wow". That pretty much sums his riding skills up.

Now, this is not all that uncommon - Here's the issue. He sees my new bike and is all amped about it, which is cool. I let him sit on it (Somewhat reluctantly), and he's all freakin' out. He's like, "Dude, we are gonna have the two most unique rides in town". I'm thinkin' "Yeah, your bike is definitely unique". Oh no. He then procedes to tell me that he has a deposit down on the first black 1000RR to come into town. :shock:

There are so many things wrong with this. I'm starting to think that they need to make advanced riding classes a prerequisite for purchasing a bike like that. 5 minutes later bets were being made as to how long it will take him to destroy it. Not only is it completely dangerous for him and anyone within launching distance from him, but damn is it ever going to be a shame to watch that black one get destroyed. I wonder if I meet him at the dealer maybe he'd trade me plastic...

·
Registered
231 Posts
it is very unfortunate, but some people will have to learn it the hard way. no doubt it's a big upgrade from 250 cc to 1000 cc ... i hope he doesnt kill himself in the process. :?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I stopped by the local dealership to take look at the 1000RR. They look great by the way, but once I told the shop owner why I was there I had to listen to him tell me his impression...

Noteable things he said during the visit:
"I just took it out for a ride and WOW - 90 miles per hour in first gear!" (he's wearing shorts)

"This thing is SO fast, it's the fastest bike ever."

"It's really powerful but the front doesn't come up so much, that's because of the extended swingarm on these things."

"see that?" (points to a VTX frame only sitting on a bench) "I'm building a custom VTX, 155 horsepower man, the last one I had would smoke a 600RR at any stoplight."

"I've only been on a track once, I'm really busy."

TOOL! TOOL!! TOOL!!! :twak: No wonder so many kids get hurt on these things damnit. The dealers who talk and act and sell like this are no better than drug dealers slinging crack on the corner. They don't give a rat's ass about fitting the right bike with the right skill level and encouraging safe responsible riding. Believe me, I like to go fast - faster than most people, but channeling that drive and passion into the track is so much more constructive. I really get pissed knowing that one of these 'tards is pitching this "starboyz" perspective on riding to enthusiastic impressionable kids.

I truly applaud the dealers who do it right, those few who know the path to squidliness and stupidity doesn't begin at their shop.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Jet Blast, that guy was an ass. I wouldn't run my brand new bike up to 90 in first gear until the motor was broken in, which the buyer should have the option of doing. When I buy my 1000RR, I want to see it uncrated with 0 miles. Those types of salesman/dealers just piss me off. Kudos for handling it the way you did, I would have gone off on the guy.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
I just happened to be reading a shootout article in Roadracing World and there are some very detailed specs at the end of the article. Funny thing is; the Maximum theoretical speed at redline is listed at 82mph. Did he mention anything about taking the rev limiter off before his test ride?!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.