Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Looks like you’re close to NJ Motorsports track, what a fast track! Ever been?
Yea, it’s about an hour from where I’m at. Been there a few times, and is one of my faves. I’d say Barber is at the top, followed by COTA, then NJMP & Road America are kinda tied for 3rd. Both are fast, but RA is definitely the fastest I’ve ever been on, lol

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,028 Posts
Yea, it’s about an hour from where I’m at. Been there a few times, and is one of my faves. I’d say Barber is at the top, followed by COTA, then NJMP & Road America are kinda tied for 3rd. Both are fast, but RA is definitely the fastest I’ve ever been on, lol
very cool! My fave is New York Safety Track, not super fast, but very technical and sweet elevation changes. Hoping to do a bunch of TD’s there next season.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
very cool! My fave is New York Safety Track, not super fast, but very technical and sweet elevation changes. Hoping to do a bunch of TD’s there next season.
Nice! That's one of the few on the east coast that I haven't managed to make it to yet. Will need to check it out sometime.

Reactions: J D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
hwy 129 in between North Carolina and Tennessee aka The Tail of the dragon is a beautiful technical road in the smokey mountains. If you ever get a chance to ride it I highly recommend it.

·
SP2 00004
12 Posts
Rode COTA July 6 with 3:16 track days on my SP2. What an absolute hoot! Humidity kicked this old man's ass though. Need to move that track to Colorado.
I will be back.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
I use to like Deals Gap (as we use to call it long ago) when riding a RD 350 smoker. Ona 1K its not great, way to tight and no views. Other places near there are much better. Try the Cherohala Skyway. You can get out of 1st/2nd gear and there are a lot of views too. The little River road is another on the N side of the park. There are a ton of fun roads in that area that are much better than the "Dragon".

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I use to like Deals Gap (as we use to call it long ago) when riding a RD 350 smoker. Ona 1K its not great, way to tight and no views. Other places near there are much better. Try the Cherohala Skyway. You can get out of 1st/2nd gear and there are a lot of views too. The little River road is another on the N side of the park. There are a ton of fun roads in that area that are much better than the "Dragon".
I like the physical aspect of riding throwing the weight of the bike this way and that. I will say the 2017 cbr1000rr is alot lighter than my 2006 cbr1000rr (maybe 30lbs), but you can definitely feel the difference in your legs after the ride. I'm also a fairly big guy at 6'2" 215lbs so for me its like a beefy 600cc. I'm just cruising in 2nd 3rd or 4th i never dip down into 1st in the video. I like technical roads like that because I can stay between 40 and 80 miles an hour, any straighter and I have to be in triple digits to enjoy the road and the g force in the seat of my pants. I can see why would say that though, but to each their own.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Roger I get it. Deals is definitely fun. A great loop ride is to do the Little River road to the Foothills Pky to Deals Gap then over to Cherohala Skyway then back to the Foothills Pky north. Deals makes a great place to stop for lunch. That is a whole day ride of excellent roads and sites. A nice sounding exhaust is particularly sweet on the Little River road as it follows a beautiful river (good fishing) and has a huge rock wall on one side that reflects the sound.

·
Grey Roamad
144 Posts
I'm guessing your aware but the chasers lines are a bit ragged,lol. Yours aren't to bad though (smile). I take it you know the road fairly well. Vid certainly gave me a smile to watch. Do you do track days? What tyres are you running and at what pressure?

Reactions: Dr. Speed Lemon

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks! Yeah I've been doing track days for the past 6 or 7 years. I grew up around that road, its Lime Creek Road in Austin TX. I ride on Q3+ tires on the street and pirelli sc2s on the track. Street tires I run 32 front 34 psi rear. On slicks I run 34 front 26 rear hot temperatures.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Love NYST! Best track out our way though is Pittsburg International Raceway. First class all the way!!!! Pavement, layout, facilities are top notch.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Nelson ledges in Ohio is also a very fast track. They did a full repave 2 seasons ago. Track surface is in excellent condition. The new owners are upgrading the general facilities. (And the facilities need some real upgrading!!!)

21 - 40 of 69 Posts