Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just needed to vent.

I am truly saddened by the lack of customer service that is provided to me by HJC, it's employees, & it's vendors. I have an IS-16 helmet that is approximately 2 years old. The top liner began to fall down in my face. I looked online @ the HJC website & the website stated there is a 3 year warranty. To process the warranty, I was supposed to bring the helmet to the selling dealer. I returned the helmet to High 5 Cycles in Dallas, TX on Tuesdat August 26th 2014. There I dealt with Leslie Porterfield who greeted me @ the parts counter. I showed her the issue & she said she would have a HJC rep come look @ it. When I got home I found the receipt in the original bag that came with the helmet containing the owners manual.

The following Tuesday (September 2nd)I called for an update & was told by Ronnie Trent that your rep, John Ruznock, stated the warranty was only 1 year & that y'all would not be covering the failure. At that time I looked online again & looked in the owners manual & verified both stated the helmet has a 3 year warranty. I called Ronnie back & he stated there was nothing that he could do. I then called HJC Helmets directly @ 562-407-2186 & spoke with Romel. He agreed that the warranty was 3 years. I was also told that HJC would not warranty directly with me & that I still had to deal with High 5 Cycles. Romel called High 5 & made the arrangements to get everything handled, or so I thought.

At that time Ronnie told me that he needs the rep to come in & complete a RGA so he could send it in. I expressed to Ronnie at this time that I was needing the helmet back soon because I was taking my MC on vacation, he stated I would have a new jelmet there within a week. The following Tuesday (September 9th) I called to get a status update & was told that the rep had not came by to complete the RGA. Again I waited till the following Tuesday (September 16th) before calling High 5 Cycles. I was now told they were waiting on a shipping label from HJC. I immediately contacted HJC & again spoke with Romel to express my concern about my upcoming trip & lack of a helmet. He stated that he would contact High 5.

Fast forward to today Tuesday (September 23rd). I still have no helmet. I contacted Ronnie @ High 5 & he states that he was not given the information till Friday to get it shipped out. I explained to hime that I was supposed to be leaving in the morning for my trip & I needed a solid update but he had none. I then Contacted HJC & spoke with Romel. I explained to him my frustrations about having to cancel my trip & this process taking so long. He stated the issue is between the dealer & the distributor & there is nothing that he can do.

What I'm seeing here is the blame game. The dealer is blaming HJC. HJC is blaming the dealer & the distributor. What all 3 of y'all fail to realize is the customer is the one left holding the bag. Now my choice is to either cancel my trip or use some of the trip's fun money on a new helmet. If I do go & purchase a helmet today, it won't be a HJC & it won't be from High 5. There is far too much competetion in the retail world for the consumer to support companies with such a lack in customer service.

Just so you know, this IS-16 was the 3rd HJC helmet I've owned. I purchesed a CL-10 in 1993 when I bought a new Honda Nighthawk. It replaced an older Arai. I liked the Cl-10 so much that a few years back I bought a CL-16. What a great helmet, unfortunately, it met it's demise on a trip in Illinois when an unmarked combine was taking up 2 lanes of road 1/2 way through a long sweeping blind curve. I bailed off the bike at close to 45mph & actually hit my head on something. There was significant damage to the helmet, but I walked away with minor bruising. That's what led to the purchase of the IS-16. I figured that if my last helmet could protect me, stick with the brand. Lastly, my confidence in HJC is shaken. Not because of quality, because of lack of service.

David Blankenship
214-906-3176

·
Registered
950 Posts
Man that Stinks. I purchased 2 cl- 16's for my wife and I. They both after a year were very hard to open and close the visor. Mine also did the sane thing you described on yours. I switched to scorpion, now we both have shoei's. They fit like the hjc but are better quality. I won't be switching back.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
That sucks. It shouldn't be that much of a pain in the ass. Good thing you were diligent in following up.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I googled HJC IS-16, prices run from $120-180 from various places. Before I went through all that bullshit I would toss that helmet in a dumpster and buy another. I understand the principle of only getting 2 of the 3 years of warranty, but you should only expect so much from a cheap helmet manufacturer.

·
Respect the Mantis!
4,908 Posts
Most companies make a cheaper line of product, and a higher grade product.
My HJC RPHA10 is a high grade product.

I would not expect a helmet in the $120 to $180 range to be worth a shit.

You couldn't fix the liner yourself with some spray adhesive?
You only own ONE HELMET?
I own six helmets. If I had a problem with one of them, that would not affect my trip!

If you only have 1 helmet, you should buy 2 or 3 more anyway!
Nobody has just one helmet!

:eek:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would tell the dealer that if he cannot support the merchandise he's selling he sould not be selling it...They probably could have told you to swap out the helmet and then leveraged HJC into reimbursing them for warranty on the defective helmet you returned. If HJC wouldn't back the warranty, then they could tell HJC that they won't sell their brand anymore. Sounds like they were playing off of each other to dodge the issue.

As for finding a replacement, go with a higher quality brand, like Arai or Shoei. When it comes to gear, you usually get what you pay for. If you go cheap, you usually pay for it later. Also, not a bad idea to have at least one extra for each piece of gear you ride with. I usually buy a new helmet every 3 years, since most "expire" after about 5 years, that way for about 2 or 3 years I have at least 2 I can use.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Get arai or a better quality helmet then HJC. I had a few HJC helmets and they cosmetically fall apart. The liners or something is always coming apart.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
+1 to that.

I've never chased up warranty, etc. but used to buy cheaper helmets and noticed that my shoei helmets last way longer than they ever did and are more comfortable, etc. to boot.

If you ride a lot, you just end up replacing cheaper helmets more often and don't save any money anyway.

Replace "Shoei" with "Arai" if you don't have a Shoei shape head, and Arai fits you better. I wanted to try Arai last time out but I get slight pressure points on the rear left and right upper part of my head with them. For me, Shoei = perfect fit.

edit:
And yeah, I replace helmets every 2-3 years generally (when they start getting loose. have had cheaper helmets get loose after 3 months). Could probably just get new liners, but 2-3 years is typically enough time for the new models to be significantly lighter/better than what I currently have; either that or the next model from the one I bought is on run-out (either due to new model coming or new graphics) and obtainable for a steal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just needed to vent.

I am truly saddened by the lack of customer service that is provided to me by HJC, it's employees, & it's vendors. I have an IS-16 helmet that is approximately 2 years old. The top liner began to fall down in my face. I looked online @ the HJC website & the website stated there is a 3 year warranty. To process the warranty, I was supposed to bring the helmet to the selling dealer. I returned the helmet to High 5 Cycles in Dallas, TX on Tuesdat August 26th 2014. There I dealt with Leslie Porterfield who greeted me @ the parts counter. I showed her the issue & she said she would have a HJC rep come look @ it. When I got home I found the receipt in the original bag that came with the helmet containing the owners manual.

The following Tuesday (September 2nd)I called for an update & was told by Ronnie Trent that your rep, John Ruznock, stated the warranty was only 1 year & that y'all would not be covering the failure. At that time I looked online again & looked in the owners manual & verified both stated the helmet has a 3 year warranty. I called Ronnie back & he stated there was nothing that he could do. I then called HJC Helmets directly @ 562-407-2186 & spoke with Romel. He agreed that the warranty was 3 years. I was also told that HJC would not warranty directly with me & that I still had to deal with High 5 Cycles. Romel called High 5 & made the arrangements to get everything handled, or so I thought.

At that time Ronnie told me that he needs the rep to come in & complete a RGA so he could send it in. I expressed to Ronnie at this time that I was needing the helmet back soon because I was taking my MC on vacation, he stated I would have a new jelmet there within a week. The following Tuesday (September 9th) I called to get a status update & was told that the rep had not came by to complete the RGA. Again I waited till the following Tuesday (September 16th) before calling High 5 Cycles. I was now told they were waiting on a shipping label from HJC. I immediately contacted HJC & again spoke with Romel to express my concern about my upcoming trip & lack of a helmet. He stated that he would contact High 5.

Fast forward to today Tuesday (September 23rd). I still have no helmet. I contacted Ronnie @ High 5 & he states that he was not given the information till Friday to get it shipped out. I explained to hime that I was supposed to be leaving in the morning for my trip & I needed a solid update but he had none. I then Contacted HJC & spoke with Romel. I explained to him my frustrations about having to cancel my trip & this process taking so long. He stated the issue is between the dealer & the distributor & there is nothing that he can do.

What I'm seeing here is the blame game. The dealer is blaming HJC. HJC is blaming the dealer & the distributor. What all 3 of y'all fail to realize is the customer is the one left holding the bag. Now my choice is to either cancel my trip or use some of the trip's fun money on a new helmet. If I do go & purchase a helmet today, it won't be a HJC & it won't be from High 5. There is far too much competetion in the retail world for the consumer to support companies with such a lack in customer service.

Just so you know, this IS-16 was the 3rd HJC helmet I've owned. I purchesed a CL-10 in 1993 when I bought a new Honda Nighthawk. It replaced an older Arai. I liked the Cl-10 so much that a few years back I bought a CL-16. What a great helmet, unfortunately, it met it's demise on a trip in Illinois when an unmarked combine was taking up 2 lanes of road 1/2 way through a long sweeping blind curve. I bailed off the bike at close to 45mph & actually hit my head on something. There was significant damage to the helmet, but I walked away with minor bruising. That's what led to the purchase of the IS-16. I figured that if my last helmet could protect me, stick with the brand. Lastly, my confidence in HJC is shaken. Not because of quality, because of lack of service.

David Blankenship

214-906-3176

Hi David,
I am just curious to know what happen with them replacing your helmet or did they refund your money???? I have a helmet ICON helmet and being wearing them for the last 5 years. However, I am going to invest in a shoe or Arai next season.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I bought an ARAI helmet off Craigslist several years ago. It was just older than 5 years from manufacturing date.

I sent it in to ARAI for some minor work fully expecting to pay for everything. They let me know there had been a recall years ago for a piece of trim falling off. They performed that old recall free of charge plus did the other things I requested at a very reasonable rate. No BS and no finger pointing. I even told them up front I bought the helmet used and was not the original owner.

Yes ARAI helmets are freakin' expensive, especially when compared to the low-to-mid range helmets coming out of China.
Yes it hurts whenever I buy one.
Yes I have bought two new ARAI helmets since, and foresee buying ARAI again when I need a helmet.
Yes they are a good value, even at their high price.

On another note- If they didn't fit comfortably and rather snugly, I would be looking at other helmets.
Fit is paramount when choosing a helmet.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi David,
I am just curious to know what happen with them replacing your helmet or did they refund your money???? I have a helmet ICON helmet and being wearing them for the last 5 years. However, I am going to invest in a shoe or Arai next season.

I am still in the process of trying to get it taken care of.

Yes, I currently only have 1 helmet. I don't normally have a spare because I ride solo so there is no need. Also my last one got damaged so there is no need to keep it as a spare. To the people that mention multiple spares, I'm not vein enough that I need to match my helmet with my gear. I ride to ride, not win a fashion contest.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear about your troubles with HJC. Thanks for sharing though. I will definitely avoid that brand from here on. And thankfully the dealerships in my area are several steps above High 5 Cycles sounds.

My most recent helmet is a Shoei X-12. I lost the breadth guard somewhere along the way and called Shoei customer support. The fellow I spoke with asked for a picture or two, then sent me several free of charge. Awesome.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Most companies make a cheaper line of product, and a higher grade product.

My HJC RPHA10 is a high grade product.

I would not expect a helmet in the $120 to $180 range to be worth a shit.

You couldn't fix the liner yourself with some spray adhesive?

You only own ONE HELMET?

I own six helmets. If I had a problem with one of them, that would not affect my trip!

If you only have 1 helmet, you should buy 2 or 3 more anyway!

Nobody has just one helmet!

:eek:

So you stole my money tree!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles . It sucks but just buy another one in the mean time so you can ride . I have always owned two helmets because in Florida your helmet starts to stick because of sweat . I prefer shoei and suomy they fit my head the best . Remember you get what you pay for ... How much is your head worth.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yes, Arais are expensive, but its so true. Every one I've had the bottom trim pieces come off or loosen up. My Shoei x12 is perfect. Never had a problem with Bell Star, HJC RPHA 10, or Suomy. Icon trim piece came off once on an Airframe...tried to get warranty service or get it repaired, they literally sent me superglue! Customer service is not so great with some of these companies.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts