Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a drive down to the honda dealer today to schedule a service appointment to have my speedometer fixed, and to have them "take a look at" the pinging problem.

here is basically how my conversation went with the 2 service writers:

me: hey, i need to bring my 2004 CBR1000RR in for service
him: whats wrong with it?
me: the speedometer is way off, and the engine is pinging.
him: how do you know your speedometer is off?
me: i got a ticket for going 85/55, and the bike was indicating 60 something. (i pull out the letter from honda describing the issue)
him: oh... what you are describing is the opposite of what it says in the letter (other service writer agrees with him)
me: (my eyes almost pop out of my head) HUH? are you sure about that... just take a look at the bike.
him: ah.. ok.. what else did you need done?
me: the bike is pinging and knocking at low rpm's
him: what fuel do you run?
me: Sunoco ultra 93, or Hess 93.
him: oh... you should try using regular unleaded, cause people arent buying 93 octane cause of the price of gas, so the gas is sitting in the tanks and getting stale, and motorcycles are more sensitive to that stuff than cars
me: (trying to keep from laughing) uh.. okay.. well.. i'll bring it in for diagnosis, and if thats what you think, just write it on the service order

WTF is with these people? can any douchebag with a dollar and a wrench get a fucking mechanics license?!!? Either that, or he just assumes I'm a dumb schmuck who doesn't understand the concept of an internal combustion engine, or how timing advance/octane ratings/engine design affect one another.

fcuk these clowns. I'm witholding names (for now) to protect the (not so) innocent... but if this dope actually puts it in writing for me to use 87 octane in my high compression supersport bike engine... I'm gonna forward all that shit to Honda and tell them their mechanics training sucks.

·
Registered
688 Posts
ahhhh i hope you didnt leave the bike there :shock:

i would not trust people like that with anything

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zman said:
ahhhh i hope you didnt leave the bike there :shock:

i would not trust people like that with anything
nah.. I took the cage... it was only a social visit to setup an appointment. I didn't let those guys even do my bike's 600mi service. Did that ish myself.

If they order my speedo, i'm not even going to let them install it.... plus that way, I get a free speedo out of the deal.. and with all my E.E. friends who have EEPROM readers, we can probably figure out what's up with the old speedo and fix it. (their guess is that the lookup tables got corrupted somehow, or loaded another table)

·
Registered
43 Posts
1st...find a new dealer.
2nd...Service Writers are morons, they are NOT mechanics. Don't insult us mechanics by associating us with service writers.
3rd...there is no mechanic's "license" although there should be, but that still wouldn't solve the problems of dumbass service writers.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Damm, do some dealers see a big Jackass out of us? :cussing:

Put their names on! Such pissheads :twak: don't deserve any anonymity, although I don’t think I will get even accidentally near them (with the big water and all between us :wink: ), but protect your fellow bikers!!!
:cruising:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SecretAgentRR said:
1st...find a new dealer.
2nd...Service Writers are morons, they are NOT mechanics. Don't insult us mechanics by associating us with service writers.
3rd...there is no mechanic's "license" although there should be, but that still wouldn't solve the problems of dumbass service writers.
I agree with all your points... however . . .

1st, I have been dealing with this dealership (sales dept) since I was a little kid, and the "other" honda dealer here in my city is bad in other ways...

2nd Unfortunately at this dealer... the service writers ARE the tech's too. :shock:

3rd you can bet your balls that if I fax over to AHC the service sheet that says "try using 87 octane in the bike" that the dealership is gonna get a VERY nasty call from somebody in the dealer support network . . .

·
Registered
34 Posts
As far as keeping the old speedo I wouldn't count on it. If motorcycle dealers work anything like car dealers they will need to keep it in case Honda wants it back. If Honda asks for it and they cannot produce the warranty claim will not be paid. You can try though, good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same experience when my 600rr was burning oil( did this up to 4000 mile when I traded it in). I talked to everyone all the way up to Robin Carson - District Service Manager here in Georgia. Not one freaking person had a clue or was able to offer me any help on the issue. So instead of leaving it for 2-3 weeks while some tech tries to find the problem ( whom most of which are "parts swappers", this I know because I worked for a highend auto dealer and my husband is a master tech there) I traded the bike in on a new 600rr which I have had no problems with. The REALLY bad part is my bike was so clean the dealer NEVER checked it out, put it on the showroom floor and resold it with the existing warranty left on it, hows that for bad business!? Every experience I have ever had with a motorcyle service dept has been nothing but HORRIBLE. Anything from having a service done where they put some nasty chain lube on that flung all over the bike to having tires replaced and having the rims scratched.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sam said:
As far as keeping the old speedo I wouldn't count on it. If motorcycle dealers work anything like car dealers they will need to keep it in case Honda wants it back. If Honda asks for it and they cannot produce the warranty claim will not be paid. You can try though, good luck.
I'm pretty sure that if you request it... the dealership is obligated to return the parts to you, even if they are replaced under warranty.

My only concern is that my odometer is going to be a little off. . .

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The last time I ever left a motorcycle with a dealer mechanic was about 5 years ago. When I got it back, they had dropped it on one side. Nothing was broken, but it was scratched EVERYWHERE. I was like WTF!! They told me I dropped it off that way. After I popped a few veins in my forehead, I proceeded to tell them that I take immaculate care of my baby, and if it had a bug splattered on it I would notice, let alone a low side. Well, after speaking with the service techs, the service manager, and the general manager, their final offer: They offered to sell me the replacement parts at 20% off... I almost punched the guy. I told him that I already get 20% off parts from several places in town, and I could buy them for 40% off on the internet. But I shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING because their jackass mechanic messed it up. The final word from them was that I was mistaken because their mechanics are "Trained" to fess up when something happens... Yeah, o.k.

Anyhoo, the point of my rant is that I wouldn't trust any dealer mechanic I've met any farther than I could throw them. I decided that day to start investing in service manuals, and haven't been back since. Problem is, you really have to know people to do your own recall work. I think you had the best idea, let them write up using 87 octane, then write a letter to American Honda. That should light some fires. :D

·
Registered
526 Posts
Did I mention how much I like BVH? Never had a problem with them even when I had to get my entire engine replaced.

·
Senior Citizen
548 Posts
IronNutz, I'd have threatened to call the cops to take a report to use in my lawsuit. I bet that would have gotten their attention. And if it didn't, I'd have called the cops.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yeah, I ended up just fixing it myself and washing my hands of the situation. It seems like so long ago, things would be different now... heads would roll. I just look at it as one of the turning points in my motorcycle life, it's when I decided to really get hands on and learn the $hit myself. I'm much more knowledgeable now because of their carelessness, and uselessness.

·
Registered
244 Posts
God damn hearing this pisses me off! Iam er was a acura tech for the past 6yrs(just moved to sales 4 the $) If this kinda $hit happens to any one call american honda and bitch If nothing happens call agin and talk to their boss. If you can find a group of people that had the same crap treatment even better! Honda will do somthing about it and set things strait.
AAAAAAAAAAAA GD shady basterds!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.