Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Can't Spell
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 15 needs new front pads. Oem in there right now, which I feel have very aggressive initial bite with terrible, god aweful modulation as lever pressure increases including a lack of power. Weird considering the oem pads on my 600's have been either excellent [F4i] or very good until they get really hot [600RR]. Anywho, I'm broke as all hell right now. Oem pads at $50/set, while vesrahs are double that. I'm thinking of doing one caliper oem pads, the other SRJL-XX. Vesrah says they have low initial bite with excellent modulation and power increase with lever effort. Thoughts or experience with other vesrah compounds to suggest?

·
Registered
441 Posts
It's funny, but for decades, I was a fan of these pads, but others have demonstrated that these pads can be inferior via fit n finish/tolerance.
2 questions. do they stop you and do they fade? they do and they don't.
i've never heard anything about fit and finish of any brake pad ever.

·
Registered
476 Posts
2 questions. do they stop you and do they fade? they do and they don't.
i've never heard anything about fit and finish of any brake pad ever.
Fit and finish is extremely important because the edges of the brake pad transfer all of the braking force to the body of the caliper and must be square/smooth to ensure that the caliper is not damaged.

EBC HH pads are stamped. This will never produce a square edge. EBC usually rounds the sharp edges out and this results in less contact area for transmitting the braking force to the caliper body and therefore will deform that surface of the caliper over time.

On top of that EBC pads have thin backing plates prone to warp. If you compare a set of $300 Brembo Z-04 pads that are laser cut with a set of $80 EBC pads you will immediately see the difference in fit and finish.

For stock calipers probably won't matter, but if you have an expensive set of calipers using cheap brake pads will ruin the calipers over time.

Reactions: Rcanon409 and J D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Fit and finish is extremely important because the edges of the brake pad transfer all of the braking force to the body of the caliper and must be square/smooth to ensure that the caliper is not damaged.

EBC HH pads are stamped. This will never produce a square edge. EBC usually rounds the sharp edges out and this results in less contact area for transmitting the braking force to the caliper body and therefore will deform that surface of the caliper over time.

On top of that EBC pads have thin backing plates prone to warp. If you compare a set of $300 Brembo Z-04 pads that are laser cut with a set of $80 EBC pads you will immediately see the difference in fit and finish.

For stock calipers probably won't matter, but if you have an expensive set of calipers using cheap brake pads will ruin the calipers over time.
dont believe the hype. sounds like a complete waste of money. who wears out calipers at our level of riding? 300 for a set of pad, you can buy 10 sets of reasonably priced pads and a set of calipers in a short period of time.

·
Can't Spell
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry but my experience with ebc's HH pads has been something like sticking two blocks of wood in the calipers and squeezing the disk with them. No feedback and low power. Granted, its been at least 6-8yrs since I've used them because of said interactions, but they haven't changed the formula at all.

As for the pad edge, I've never heard anyone talk about that before and have a hard time believing it myself. Just the fact the pad wears and makes a new edge constantly is the biggest hurdle.

·
Registered
322 Posts
search through the forum, I remember reading a pad evaluation/comparison post by a member "rogue racing" ???
My OEM pad seem to be the opposite. long lever travel, and less sharp initially; maybe because of the colder temperatures in our neck of the wood

·
Stand your ground
1,121 Posts
CL Brakes XBK5 is what I run for street/track and they have been fantastic. If I was track only I might try the C60's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts