Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well fellas, i have finally been blessed with a few nice days and was able to put 600 miles on her. But this is my first new bike, and was wondering if i could get a few suggestions on what else besides changing the oil and checking the chain. im going to do it myself, since i dont wanna pay the dealer $300.00 for an oil change..( i'd rather spend that $ on mod's) 8) i apprerciate the help.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
All that Honda suggests for the 600 mile service is oil & filter, and check the engine idle. It never hurts to lube the chain, clean the rotors, check for leaks in braking system, coolant level, loose bolts, inspect forks & seals, tire pressure, etc... It takes 5 minutes to do all of these, and can prevent many common problems. All easy stuff, and helps you get to know your baby that much more. Definitely no need to pay the dealer for it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
IronNutz said:
All that Honda suggests for the 600 mile service is oil & filter, and check the engine idle. It never hurts to lube the chain, clean the rotors, check for leaks in braking system, coolant level, loose bolts, inspect forks & seals, tire pressure, etc... It takes 5 minutes to do all of these, and can prevent many common problems. All easy stuff, and helps you get to know your baby that much more. Definitely no need to pay the dealer for it.
Are you serious IronNutz? That's all they do for th 600 mile service? And they still charge 300 bucks? Screw that. I can do all that myself. Do they adjust the chain or anything else at 600 mile service????

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the advice Ironnutz, everything went smoothly. no loose bolts chain is still tight.. i figure it will loosen up around 1000-1500 miles. the oil was had a hint of green which from what i have read in here is normal, so its all good. thanx again..[/list]

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Those are the only "Maintenance" items they do realistically. They should check nuts, bolts, fasteners for appropriate tightness, and are supposed to "Inspect" brakes, clutch, and steering head bearings, but unless you complained about them, odds are you are getting a really expensive oil change.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yea the 600 mile service is very easy. Valves aren't even recommended to be checked until 16000 or 18000 miles (can't remember right now). 300 bucks for an oil change is the way the service department makes it up for the 200 dollars they gave you off of the suggested retail :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wow, thats rare. I've never seen a dealer that included it free of charge! Thats a welcome change, wish more would follow suit.

Figgure it costs them between parts and labor about 30 or 40 bucks for that service. The reward of good customer relations would greatly outweigh the loss of 30 bucks!

·
I'm slower then you
1,394 Posts
Wow, and I was half way considering actually letting the dealer touch my bike (I don't like other people touching my equipment). Now that I know they don't do that valves, I am going to reconsider...

·
Senior Citizen
548 Posts
My first service is running me $170 for labor plus parts (about $30). If anyone cares I can let you know the exact amount when I get the bike back on Monday (they're putting on the Moriwaki frame sliders for me too).

·
Registered
738 Posts
I asked my dealer the day I bought it, what exactly they do at the 600 mile service. Get this.....change the oil, check chain tension, check the air cleaner, tire pressure, brakes and overall make sure everything is still tight. I asked about checking valve clearance and the tech said that they bo longer do that. So, I can do everything they do and it only costs about $15 for the oil and filter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just got it done a couple of days ago by the service department of the store I bought it off and its amost like a new bike...not more sag in the throttle and everything feels tighter and more responsive.

I don't have to tools, the time or the workshop manual ATM to work it out for myself so this was the best way to go, even if it did cost me $AU186.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It can, depending on your regional Honda rep.

My dealer did the 600 mile service on the RC (that's the only time they have touched the bike, and it has over 16K now), but then they only charged like $87 or something...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.