Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres a teaser video out and talk of an 800(ish) model inbound. Ive always liked the idea but I just never liked the looks of the klr650. The africa twins are awsome but that would be a big motor for any off road action in my area. Anyone here ride an africa, how do you like them? Does a lighter model have anyone else interested?

Link to motofire article

·
Registered
261 Posts
Honestly? Most of the big "adventure" bikes out there now are completely stupid for anything other than touring on pavement. Too tall, too wide, way too heavy, too complex, and yes, especially off road, there really is such a thing as too powerful. You really think you're picking a 500 lb plus bike out of the mud by yourself, tired? So you have things like the CRF450L, the DR400, KTM's 350 and 500 EXC, all of which are good on the fire roads and trails but you wouldn't want to ride one for long on a highway. So yes, with ADV bikes, the middle ground is the perfect happy ground.

I do feel it's fair to mention that of the several people I know with 1000+ cc adv bikes, the happiest ones are on Africa Twins. They might not be the fastest, but they're easy to live with.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you hit the nail on the head there. I had a exc and it was terrible for the highway, I have to leave the county for trails or corners and it sucks getting there wound tight the whole time. That bike had more than enough juice for the trails in my area though and was light and nimble. Im thinking this new smaller model will bridge that gap but price is still going to big Im afraid. I may try to find a rough klr650 and make a motard/cafe racer hybrid thing out of it, I saw a couple pics of other projects since posting this and they have my gears grinding. Im going to start looking for a gas tank that wont make one look like a sportster.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I bought an adv bike a year after my cbr because of our poor surface & aching clutch wrist in traffic. Yam XT 660, simple single and importantly 168kg dry weight. It can do long trips at decent speeds with the odd 90+ burts.

I like the physics of the twin as it is not bulky & wide as you guys, I have a big issue with the weight purely because of picking it up after a drop.
I had an vfr800 and dropped it more than once and could not manage to lift it; luckily I had help. If they brought the weight down to 200kg and a bare bone bike without all the electronic aids on it, I would be interested

1 - 4 of 4 Posts