Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Very happy new owner of a 2018 1000RR, but as the title suggests, it pulls to the right if I let go of the grips.

Ive made sure all fork settings are mirrored (they are set to factory), tire pressure is good, chain is straight.
Bought the bike about 2 weeks ago with 0 miles, and I’ve put almost 200 so far. Haven’t even done the first oil change, so I’m confident there has not been any damage or whatnot. Didn’t hit any potholes or speed bumps.

I’m lost at what could be causing this.

Shaun

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Rear wheel could be crooked, you can look at the tick marks and make sure the same on both sides or use a caliper to be more precise.

Could also be your forks, they could be bound slightly, there is a process for loosening and then tightening part of the triple tree. The thread is here somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
Rear wheel could be crooked, you can look at the tick marks and make sure the same on both sides or use a caliper to be more precise.

Could also be your forks, they could be bound slightly, there is a process for loosening and then tightening part of the triple tree. The thread is here somewhere.

I wouldn't be doing any of that. I'd be back to the dealer in a flash.

@sketterman , don't even touch it. Too many dealers will find a reason to not honour warranty and that would be one. I'm trying to not be negative here cos I'm Honda through and through, but we have to cover ourselves from those more concerned about bottom line than quality service and product.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I wouldn't be doing any of that. I'd be back to the dealer in a flash.

@sketterman , don't even touch it. Too many dealers will find a reason to not honour warranty and that would be one. I'm trying to not be negative here cos I'm Honda through and through, but we have to cover ourselves from those more concerned about bottom line than quality service and product.
Quick glance at the rear wheel alignment may be all it takes, really not that hard to do lol

·
Registered
569 Posts
Align rear wheel as others have suggest and make sure you are sitting in centre of the seat for even weight distribution on each peg. Get it checked right away or else your chain, tire and sprockets will have faster and uneven wear.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It's simple to check the alignment marks on each side of the swingarm to see if the rear wheel is straight. If it's not equal on both sides, all you do is loosen the axle nut and adjust the bolts for the alignment. then tighten everything to spec. I do it every time I change tires and remove the wheels. That's pretty simple and easy. If that doesn't fix the problem, then it may be in the fork area. Do a little more research for that. If it's under warranty, you might want to use that for fork problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I’ve got the motion pro chain tool, and am intimately familiar with adjusting the screws for alignment. I made a slight adjustment to those, seems it was a bit off from Honda and that made a bit of an improvement, but the pull is still there ever so slightly. Might have to go see the dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Those axle alignment marks on the swing arm aren’t always perfect. Better than they used to be, but you can also use a string wrapped around the front or back wheel and by touching it to both edges of the tire to create a straight line you see where that wheel is pointed, and compare with the other one. But in your case, it should be just get taken care of by the dealer if it’s brand new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,

Very happy new owner of a 2018 1000RR, but as the title suggests, it pulls to the right if I let go of the grips.

Ive made sure all fork settings are mirrored (they are set to factory), tire pressure is good, chain is straight.
Bought the bike about 2 weeks ago with 0 miles, and I’ve put almost 200 so far. Haven’t even done the first oil change, so I’m confident there has not been any damage or whatnot. Didn’t hit any potholes or speed bumps.

Shaun
On the right is the exhaust system outlet. if you are very thin you could feel a slight inclination towards that side ..

·
Registered
328 Posts
On the right is the exhaust system outlet. if you are very thin you could feel a slight inclination towards that side ..
But surely that would then render EVERY bike with a 4 into 1 susceptible to right hand side imbalance?

We are now talking millions of bikes all pulling to the right. Okay for the guys in the States/Canada and some Euro countries, cos it will direct you to the side of the road, but for us in UK and OZ, NZ etc, it will steer us bang into on-coming traffic. :eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Do you feel any pull when your hands are on the bars? This whole situation could be avoided if you would just use your hands like everyone else :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Those motion pro tools, was always curious about them.
Good method for wheel alignment?
The motion pro alignment tool is a cheap effective way to align the chain to the front and rear sprockets and align the sprockets to one another. Add in the easy/convenience of the motion pro slack setter or the chain monkey (which I just started using this season and like it alot) and you have a relatively cheap easy quick way of aligning your rear wheel and setting chain slack accurately. I highly recommend it, them, either/or
Only gripe I have using the motion pro alignment tool is I have to remove my chain guard first. Stock plastic chain guard is easy to remove as it is flexible but I have a carbon fiber guard so it takes a little work. Other than that I wouldn't want to set alignment or slack without them.
You can always look into chain adjusters like lite tech or several others but they are costly and although look great and are convenient they are just not necessary but it's a matter of choice

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello All,

Shaun
I don't know where you are located bu around here, may roads are design to be higher in the middle and lower on the right side to let the water run off.
Could this cause pulling to the right.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts