Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally got my first liter bike. been a 600 rider for years. 2018 cbr1000rr, base of course, cause I couldn't justify spending the extra $4-5K for goodies that I'll never fully use, like Brembos and Ohlins. But so far I'm really loving this girl. Not my first Honda, though. My first sportbike was an '06 cbr600rr, then moved to an '08 600rr. Then went to a '06 Kawasaki zx6363 for a while, but have always been eyeballing the liter bikes. So I traded the 636 in for this 1000 and I have not even thought about looking back... and while I hear a few negative things about all the technology built into the new generation, I've become quite fond of it. as of right now I have only put about 600 miles on her and the only mods are the usual stuff, tail tidy, zero gravity and spools. will be sending the ecu out to have Paul Kingburgh flash it. then I'll do the slip on and an air filter. but the most important upgrade will be to get these sketchy Dunlops off and replace them with some Michelin 2ct's. this pic is from 3 days after I got her.

bike1.jpg

·
Registered
627 Posts
I really like the 2018....looks great. That would be my choice if I ever changed from my 05. I'm not fond of all the computer aids on bikes or cars, but you might as well have fun playing with the stuff. What Dunlops are on the bike? The Q4s are awesome. Post pics after the slip on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like the 2018....looks great. That would be my choice if I ever changed from my 05. I'm not fond of all the computer aids on bikes or cars, but you might as well have fun playing with the stuff. What Dunlops are on the bike? The Q4s are awesome. Post pics after the slip on.
Dunlop Sportmax. I thought I might like them until the first time the traction control had to save my butt in a fast turn. And yes, I did put a tad over 100 miles on them before I started leaning on them. The longer I ride them, the less confident I am on them. And that is why I said I like all the electronic rider aides.
As soon as I do the slip on, I will definitely post some pics. But I really haven't mad a clear decision on which one I want. Stuck between the Akra GP titanium, Project SC Carbon fiber and Leo Vince Titanium.

·
L'Poser
10,931 Posts
SC Project is very loud. Make sure you wear earplugs. Michelin’s are the way to go. IMO

·
L'Poser
10,931 Posts
SC looks good though....:p
It's fun, you can drop a tennis ball in it and start the bike an shoot the ball across the garage. Simple things, winter in Alaska.

·
L'Poser
10,931 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Michelin’s are the way to go. IMO
I've always loved the Michelin's. The last set I had on my 636 lasted a tad over 7K miles and were always grippy on the sides. Other tires are stickier, but don't last as long and cost WAY more.
as for the exhaust, I may have to shy away from the SC if it's that loud. I don't mind noise, but if I have to wear earplugs, even at my age and how deaf my wife says I am, I'd rather just pull the flapper out of the stock exhaust and run it that way. Of course, this is also the first bike I've owned that didn't have the exhaust under the tail. I'll dig deeper into that after Paul flashes the ecu.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Q....Was your previous under tail exhaust bikes the 04-07 CBRs? OK, how old are you?? :p
Yes. My first sport bike was an 07 cbr600rr with a Yoshi. Second was an 09 600rr with a two brothers. Third was an 06 zx6r 636 with a full two brothers system. This is my first super sport with the side exit.

·
Registered
2018 CBR1000RR, 2021 Ducati SF V4S
34 Posts
Sweet bike! Haha! I bought the exact bike, a week ago! Brand new old stock, great deal.. and I've got almost an identical plan.
The ZG screen and tidy will be here Tuesday, I am putting pilot road 5's on mine, (I have pirelli rosso diablo 3's on my Streetfighter and they are supper sticky) as I plan on the blade being my all weather rider.

Will send the ecu for flash next month, and still trying to decide what sprockets to get.

Congrats!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same here. Mine was “new old stock” with 2 miles on the clock. Traded the zx6r for this beauty. Have loved every minute of. A coworker told me once I ride a 1000 I’ll never go back to the 600’s. He was right! This thing has put a smile on my face that probably couldn’t be melted off with a blowtorch...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Unfortunately, i've only put 28 miles on mine so far, and now it's snowing. I had a 929 years ago, and loved it, I'm hopeful I have the same experience with this one!
Been riding Italian bikes for the last 15 yrs, but I think this will be my forever bike!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, what's a good price on a "new old stock" 2018?
after trade in, I paid $10,092.00 out the door. They gave me $2,500 for the 636. the dealer I got mine from recently dropped the price again about another $500. I'm waiting patiently for them to come off the price of that RR-R they have there. I just can't justify spending over $28K on a bike.... no matter how badass it is....

·
Registered
34 Posts
So, what's a good price on a "new old stock" 2018?
Sorry for the delayed response. Most places are letting them go for right about $12,500 OTD, which aligns with "quickhondaz" response. I personally think that @ $12,500 it is a phenomenal deal for the performance and the technology. I got OTD ~$11000 cash with no trade.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts