Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
'Gone Riding'
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Need some advise/guidance please and thank you in advance.

My 2014 blade has an issue where it won't start randomly and after a few attempts it will fire and appears to be when it's been ridden and hot.

I could go a few rides and not have an issue but yesterday was the worst and here's what i'm experiencing.

I pulled up at a pub, had lunch and when we went to leave it wouldn't start for maybe 30-60 seconds, the fuel pump primed but it kept trying to start before finally starting with a bit of throttle.

We then road around 50kms of windy roads before stopping, I turned the bike off & then went to start it 5-10mins later and it wouldn't fire.

The fuel pump wasn't priming and this continued for around an hour - The bikes temp was around 90 degrees when I arrived and was down to about 50 degrees by the time I gave up and got a friend to come to get me.

Upon his arrival, you guessed it, the bike started, however I heard no fuel pump priming.

Would a bad battery cause these random failed starts when hot and cause the fuel pump not to prime? - I'm surprised it started as there was no sound of priming but she fired up and I road home for an hour.

I just went and turned the key this morning and the fuel pump can be heard priming again so i'm stumped.

Any thoughts at all? - Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
My 2010 has done the same thing since it was new. If I flip the kill switch off and on it will fire. I had several mechanics look at it under warranty and could never get an answer. There does not seem to be a reason to it other than the motor being hot. If I shut the bike down with the kill switch I don't have an issue.

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
Odd. maybe a loose connection at the kill switch or ground or a loose battery cable. i highly doubt it's a faulty battery. faulty kill switch or fuel pump. 3 things can stop the pump from priming: bad kill switch, kick stand switch, or bad fuel pump itself.

for now try clicking the kill switch a lot and see if that gets you anywhere.

·
'Gone Riding'
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Odd. maybe a loose connection at the kill switch or ground or a loose battery cable. i highly doubt it's a faulty battery. faulty kill switch or fuel pump. 3 things can stop the pump from priming: bad kill switch, kick stand switch, or bad fuel pump itself.

for now try clicking the kill switch a lot and see if that gets you anywhere.
Thanks for the advice guys. I've started googling it alot and seen a number of people have had similar instances and there's been issues with the kill switch and if you say turn it off then you have these problems.

Some have suggested they've only experienced it when they take it for a service and the mechanic switches the bike off using the kill but if they leave the kill always in the 'on' position they've been good.

I did actually turn the kill off on this particular day so hoping it's related to this.

My local dealer suggested maybe the key aerial but as you say trachito, he also doubted its battery related or even fuel pump related and suggested it was either the key or some sort of sensor/ecu related.

I'll take a further look at the connections over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I thought they sorted this issue, its been plagueing my 08 for years, now im bored with the issue and ready to ask Honda if they can fix it.

If your fuel pump doesnt prime then check its connections, when the tank is lowered the contacts can bend against any of the many tubes and wires bellow. My bike had this issue because i placed the PCV under the tank because I thought it would be safer there.

My bike needs a lithium battery to crank it to start but that hot start issue is lessened with a PCV or at least it was with my bike. The PCV also fixes the low rpm sharp roll on kick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Turns out I'm having this same issue. I have replaced quite a few parts. Mine is 08 1000rr with 14000 miles. When cold the bike starts right up. Lucky I have a gas station close by. If the bike warms up, and I turn it off for a stop or refill, I'm screwed. It won't start and even if it does, it will bog very heavily and won't go past 20mph.

*replaced temp sensor *new
*replaced fuel pump*new
*replaced battery*new
*replaced iacv from misc parts
*replaced cp sensor from misc parts.

I often use the killswitch when coming to a stop. No horn/indicator issues as I've activated both and it doesn't do anything. If the bike cools down after several hours. At least 5, it with start right up and ride like nothing ever happened.

Also when it warms up and refuses to start, I hear a buzzing sound near the air box area when cycling the keyswitch. The fuel pump doesn't prime at that point either. It however, will constantly turn over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes Honda has an issue here. I have 2017 Cbr 1000 that started well for a few months(left over). In the spring it would crank, but not start. Tried everything that I've read here. Then I remember 1985 Sportster 1200 I had that had a vapor lock issue. I checked hoses from gas tank next. So I popped the gas cap for at least 5 seconds, and then it started. I also met someone with an SP in the summer having same problem. Also a Honda mechanic said that when retry after retry ,it sends errors into the computers,and compounds the problem. So when you do get it to run, run it for couple minutes to clear computers. Conclusion. So after I fill I start it up immediately. If that doesn't work,pop the gas cap for at least 5 seconds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, Well its 2021 and i fear honda has still not solved this issue yet, I have a 2019 cbr1000rr and i am experiencing the same problems with the fuel pump not priming. This happens randomly and ONLY happens on hot days. it has happened 5 times this year where i have stopped somewhere only to come back and the bike wont start and there is no noise from the fuel pump when the ignition or the kill switch is turned on. each time after letting the bike cool down in the shade up to an hour sometimes i turn the key flick the kill switch and i can hear the pump running again and it starts up straight away as if nothing happened. Today however it stopped running while sitting at the lights and wouldn't start again until it cooled down. and yes another hot day.. max temp of the bike today while sitting in traffic at the lights was 105 but would drop straight to 90 once going again.
I ride to work everyday and i always turn off the bike with the kill switch and it always starts in the morning and leaving work without fail so i'm pretty sure the kill switch is not the problem. the only constant variable is the heat. somehow on hot days the heat is affecting the power delivery to the pump or the pump itself. I'm not super mechanically minded but these are the facts. again everytime it cools down it starts no problem.

if anyone has any ideas i would would appreciate them very much .

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't know if this applies here since I have yet to dig into a bike, but in some older Honda cars there was a common problem where the main relay would eventually wear out and exhibit the same symptoms. If I remember correctly, eventually the traces/connections break from repeated heat cycles and when "hot" they won't start. The solution was to either resolder the break, or simply replace the main relay.

Symptoms of worn main relays in older Hondas that I used to play with:
  • Would not start when warm
  • Would not restart if you recently shut it off
  • Won't hear the fuel pump prime
  • If it starts, it'll shut off soon after
etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know if this applies here since I have yet to dig into a bike, but in some older Honda cars there was a common problem where the main relay would eventually wear out and exhibit the same symptoms. If I remember correctly, eventually the traces/connections break from repeated heat cycles and when "hot" they won't start. The solution was to either resolder the break, or simply replace the main relay.

Symptoms of worn main relays in older Hondas that I used to play with:
  • Would not start when warm
  • Would not restart if you recently shut it off
  • Won't hear the fuel pump prime
  • If it starts, it'll shut off soon after
etc
thanks a lot for your reply. i will look in to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This threads NOT DEAD..2017 cbr1000rr starts great when bikes cold...pull up to the station for fuel fill it up and BAM DOESNT WANT TO START. Turn it off and back on.... flip the kill switch....try a little throttle...no throttle...doesn't matter it will turn over and want to start but 9 times out of 10 u get a brapppppppp like its lit off and dies....its very annoying and I can't stand it....I jus keep a gas can in my shop and fill it up before we go ride..if it sits 20 minutes and cools off again no problem at all...but lord have mercy on your poor little soul if you pull a NOOB at a red light and die out bc you will be sweet talking her to start with traffic piling up behind you!!!!!!

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,563 Posts
This threads NOT DEAD..2017 cbr1000rr starts great when bikes cold...pull up to the station for fuel fill it up and BAM DOESNT WANT TO START. Turn it off and back on.... flip the kill switch....try a little throttle...no throttle...doesn't matter it will turn over and want to start but 9 times out of 10 u get a brapppppppp like its lit off and dies....its very annoying and I can't stand it....I jus keep a gas can in my shop and fill it up before we go ride..if it sits 20 minutes and cools off again no problem at all...but lord have mercy on your poor little soul if you pull a NOOB at a red light and die out bc you will be sweet talking her to start with traffic piling up behind you!!!!!!
I had a brand new 2012 (a few weeks old) that would struggle to start every time I stopped for fuel. Had the dealership replace the battery. Problem solved.

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,563 Posts
[/QUOTE]The OEM battery on mine was faulty. For some reason heat from the engine had an abnormal affect on it. When it was stone cold the battery turned the engine over normally. Until I was certain it was heat causing it, I carried a Battery Tender Jr. with me just in case I got stuck at a gas station. None of the other brand new CBRs I've owned ever did this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently started having this problem.
the first prob was after an hour on the fwy, stop for gas, engine would start then stall out. was able to give it some gas and get it going.
then another ride 45 min or so, bike was hot, would crank over a few times and do nothing like the batt was dead. Let it cool off for an hour and started right up. Let it run a couple mins, then would not start again till it was not hot.
now on cold start I have to give it some gas to fire up.
I tried the flip the kill switch on and off a few times on a no hot start and it worked.
I never use the kill switch, usually turn the key off, or drop kick stand. Im around 14k miles on an 08’ .
hopefully I’ll get this sorted .
thanks for those that shared about this issue it helps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had an issue like this. It's hard to get it to happen on demand. As a matter of fact, I can't get it to. I haven't had it happen in over a year. I was noticing the bike would not start after getting gas. I only ride it when it's warm out (70's or higher). This was very random and only happened I would guess 1 out of 20 attempts to start. It was only when bike was hot and had been running (warmer than operating temp.). ALWAYS starts right up when cold or sitting overnight. My bike is a 2013 with 13k now. I mostly noticed this last year and the year before. I don't ride it a lot cause I have another bike too.

I'll tell you what could be the fix though(for my bike). Or at least I haven't had it happen to me again. I have even tried to restart it after pulling into my garage by turning it off and then back on after it gets hot. I am skeptical to think this is the cure or it could be my imagination/coincidence but, I just turn the bike off with the kill switch now. Fuel pump always primes after turning it on when going to start it, but IDK. It's weird. I have no idea if this is even a fix or if it will happen again. I try to pinpoint the exact temp. it happens at , but I'm not very observant. I know it's when the bike is usually around the 200 or higher temp. I don't know if it has happened at a lower temp. If you guys can try this and post back if it will still not start, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with you, I have a 2018 cbr 1000 with less than 5k miles bought it brand new and I took it out the other day. Started up perfectly, rode for about 10 mins only to stop to get gas. After filling up, it took several attempts to get it started. Had used the kill switch like always to turn bike off instead of the key. I did open the gas tank after it wouldn’t crank and also let the bike cool off for about 10mins . Then it cranked like nothing ever happened. Didn’t know it was a known issue. Let me know if you find anything else out!

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,063 Posts
I agree with you, I have a 2018 cbr 1000 with less than 5k miles bought it brand new and I took it out the other day. Started up perfectly, rode for about 10 mins only to stop to get gas. After filling up, it took several attempts to get it started. Had used the kill switch like always to turn bike off instead of the key. I did open the gas tank after it wouldn’t crank and also let the bike cool off for about 10mins . Then it cranked like nothing ever happened. Didn’t know it was a known issue. Let me know if you find anything else out!
I’ve never ever used a kill switch. Too many people saying it’s prone to failure. Welcome to the Group. Post up a foto of your bike in the Intro section.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a cbr1000rr 2008
I've had it off the road for 3 years never had a problem before now it starts cold runs lovely quick reaction to throttle battery charging as it should all seems fine fans come on fine gets to heat fine I ride it but if I turn it off it won't start or really struggles to until battery dies anyone have any ideas ???? Does the stator have any effect I've checked fuel lines I've heard that the kill switch is big issue on these

1 - 20 of 36 Posts