Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Drago Racing
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike would not start today. I’ve had my bike since March of this year. It was a new all black 04 left over from last year. My bike currently has about 8500 miles on it and I never charged the battery before because I road it regularly. I have never had a problem with this bike not starting up, even when I have not ridden in a couple of weeks.
This time, I did not ride my bike for about 3 weeks, but I did start it up about 4 or 5 days ago and it started up just fine. When I started it I only let it run for about 30 seconds and I did not give it any throttle before I shut it down. I just started it to make sure the battery had not died.
When I tried starting the bike up today it sounded like it wanted to turn over but did not. I tried to start it up about 3 times without any luck. At this point I thought the battery was low so I checked the clock to see if the time had been reset but the time was correct. I blew the horn and it sounded fine. I checked the low and high beams and they where fine. I decided to charge the battery anyway. I left the battery connected to the bike while it was charging. After the charging the battery for about 15 min or until the charging light went off I tried to start the bike again, and once again it sounded like it wanted to turn over but did not.
Now I pull out the trusty owners manual to see how to clear a flooded engine for this bike. I go through the process of starting a flood engine by opening the throttle all the way and press the start button for 5 seconds. Still no luck so I wait 10 seconds and try again and still no luck.
I really would like to here any and all suggestion from you guys before I take it in to the dealer to have it checked out.

Thanks in advance for you help and concerns.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
check the kill switch and check to see if you have gas

·
I gotz my Red Wings
1,008 Posts
ernie said:
check the kill switch and check to see if you have gas
Also, check side stand switch, sit on bike put stand up and then back down. Make sure Red kill switch is off, turn key and CONTACT!!!!

Only after having checked Gas as mentioned before...... Roll back and forth, go through gears and place in Neutral....

Tell us what happened....

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Are you saying it's cranking over but not starting or that it's not cranking at all? Cause the fact that the horn and headlights are working is irrelevant if it's not cranking or if the crank is slow and then it starts ticking. It takes a miniscule amount of power to turn the horn and headlights on compared to what it takes to crank over the starter.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
resuscit8u said:
I am assuming it is turning over if he is able to implement the flooded start procedure.
He never really says though whether its cranking or not. Just that "When I tried starting the bike up today it sounded like it wanted to turn over but did not." That, to me, says that it's not cranking. Wording is everything though. You worked in auto service, you know what I mean when I say theres a difference between cranking, not turning over and "wanting/not wanting to start" (easily the most ambigous statement that people love to make).

·
Ruff Ryder
53 Posts
Can you clarify what you mean by "sounded like it wanted to turn over " is the Starter turning? if so it is probably the kill switch mentioned earlier, or you are out of gas. Post up your results after trying those two things.

·
Fellow .Net Addict
1,643 Posts
Drop it off at my house, I will have it running in a month. Actually I will have it running for a month, but will give it back after a month.

Seriously, I doubt it is flooded. Can you hear the primer pump kick on prior to start up?

·
Registered
141 Posts
A partner of mine had a similar problem with his 954. Turned out his spark plugs were fouled. We removed the plugs took them to the dealer for them to clean and re-gap them. When we re-installed them the bike started on the first crank.

·
L'Poser
10,880 Posts
Well I would assume he got it fixed cause he hasn't checked back. On another note, dude get a battery tender if your gonna leave it for a couple of weeks. Batteries loose 1% of their charge per day when not in use.

·
No More Bike.....
3,769 Posts
That cant be Highside. I left mine sit all winter over 100days thats 100%, and it started fine, and still works like a champ.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
bdlstyle said:
That cant be Highside. I left mine sit all winter over 100days thats 100%, and it started fine, and still works like a champ.
Well then you're an exception. My old Ninja dried up if you let it sit for more them 3 weeks. Every time I went to start it over the winter... *tick*tick*tick*tick... time to grab the jumper pack...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
smokinjohn said:
OHHHH YOU SAID it Ninja, that was the whole problem........
Yeah, battery is a battery though. That bike made me weary of leaving the key on. I'm still paranoid now cause of that. I was always afraid the bike would be dead whenever I left it sitting. Actually my R1 had the same problem when it was sitting for too long.

·
Drago Racing
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got it Started

Sorry I'm just getting back to you guys and thanks for all the advise. After trying some of the advise you guys responded with the bike still did not start. So I called the dealership up and let the service department listen to it. He told me to check the spark plug and wire and it the sparkplug was fried. The dealership told me to bring in the spark plug and spark plug wire so he could take a look at them. He relaced them both for free. Spark plug and wire back in and it started right up. I ask the service manager how could the spark plug be fried so quickly. The service manager said that sometime you just get a bad one.

But once again Sorry for getting back to the forum so late. Had a lot of things to get done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts