Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the same noise if I lug the engine. In your second video if I accelerated in second from that turn I get that noise. If I keep the RPMs up I never have it.

i have an 18- same as CDseven- heavy lug and open throttle quick i get it- if i lug but gradually apply gas dont get it- only if in too hi gear and quickly apply throttle-

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks like we’re both in Houston too, you’re free to ride it to hear it in person. I thought maybe the dealer put some cheap 87 octane gas in it, so I filled it back up with Shell 93. Problem is still there.
Video of my bike.
https://youtu.be/d6BRZ3BeF2g
I had the same issue with my bike. Even when stock it had some pinging around 5-6K rpms at higher load running 93 octane E10 gas. I pulled a couple degrees of ignition timing in the offending area and POOF! The noise was gone. Ethanol free gas might help if you don't have the means to tune it right now.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Iceyrider

I also have the sound, I am curious what and where you changed on your timing tables.

I have been wanting to mod mine to get rid of the pinging

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Ironically you are changing the timing in exactly the spot appropriate ETV tables would negate this behavior.

Again - fundamental misunderstanding of Fly by Wire flexibility.

I have made up mind - I am going to open my own tuning shop if nothing else to save people from uniquely interesting public tunes :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ironically you are changing the timing in exactly the spot appropriate ETV tables would negate this behavior.

Again - fundamental misunderstanding of Fly by Wire flexibility.

I have made up mind - I am going to open my own tuning shop if nothing else to save people from uniquely interesting public tunes :)
You mean this?

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
RC45 What do you think is the proper way to get rid of this pinging? I wouldn't mind backing off the timing a little at the 3-5k RPM range to get rid of the detonation when I snap the throttle.

However you say using the EVT map.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
If it appears the pinging is limited to a small RPM range when lugging the motor, get rid of the pinging by riding in a different gear and RPM range - maybe pick a lower gear and get the revs up.

The lack of knock sensor (on the CB1000 as well) means the issue of ping/knock/detonation is not deamed such a problem by Honda - so much so they don't even have a mechanism to pull timing on the fly.

Rather than pull timing, try add some fuel by bumping the throttle opening in the ETV tables in that area. The beauty of using the ETV tables is that you can tailor the response per gear per power mode rather than across the board.

If you pull all the timing in the base per cylinder timing maps in that transition region of the RPM range I believe you will just slow the bike down in every power mode.

I believe this 10% corn whiskey fuel we have will cause bikes that are factory tuned for proper gasoline to run a little leaner any way so the result is the pinging we see in certain RPM ranges. Fix this by running pure gasoline or tune in more fuel.

But who knows, I may be wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I believe this 10% corn whiskey fuel we have will cause bikes that are factory tuned for proper gasoline to run a little leaner any way so the result is the pinging we see in certain RPM ranges. Fix this by running pure gasoline or tune in more fuel.

But who knows, I may be wrong.
I’m hoping you’re right. I went today, and got 10 gallons of ethanol free 92 octane from Buc-ee's. Didn’t realize they carried it until I searched on the pure gas website. I’ve been riding around the better part of the evening trying to get the low fuel light on so I can fill it up and see if it makes any difference. Fingers crossed.

·
Stand your ground
1,102 Posts
Yeah me too. There isn't anywhere in my part of CA that has straight gas other than racetracks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Bike runs the way it should with pure gas. Pretty dramatic improvement. The bike pulls clean from idle right on through now. That said, it’s the only bike I’ve ever owned that has needed ethanol free gas to run properly. How y’all are looking past or “riding around” it, is pretty crazy considering how expensive the bike is. It’s a great bike now, but if I didn’t have access to pure gas the bike would be getting replaced.

·
Stand your ground
1,102 Posts
Well you can write a letter to Honda (good luck with that) explaining that their bike doesn't run on US gasoline. Or you can write a letter to our legislature (good luck with that) and ask them to stop forcing ethanol into our fuel to keep the corn farmers in business. Sounds like a no win situation.

At least you know what the problem is now so you can take precautions.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts