Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Bike runs the way it should with pure gas. Pretty dramatic improvement. The bike pulls clean from idle right on through now. That said, it’s the only bike I’ve ever owned that has needed ethanol free gas to run properly. How y’all are looking past or “riding around” it, is pretty crazy considering how expensive the bike is. It’s a great bike now, but if I didn’t have access to pure gas the bike would be getting replaced.

You could tune around it reasonably easily, I would think. Not that you should have to. Although I can confirm my wife's Euro 4 spec KTM will do the same thing on corn gas, so it's not just us Honda guys (we try to use pure but sometimes you have to use what's available).

As for those of us that are basically riding around it, and I really don't want to come off as some preachy know it all or anything, engines don't like to be lugged, riding this engine at 3000 in 6th and trying to pin it really isn't much different than driving my cars in top gear at 600 rpm and trying to floor it, or trying it with my 919 at like 1500, it's just something 40 years of operating standard transmissions has taught me not to do. I remember getting yelled at when I was first learning to drive the big diesels for doing it, you can do some real damage lugging.

People in North America in general really like low revs when cruising, though, we've kind of been trained into it over the years, I think.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Bike runs the way it should with pure gas. Pretty dramatic improvement. The bike pulls clean from idle right on through now. That said, it’s the only bike I’ve ever owned that has needed ethanol free gas to run properly. How y’all are looking past or “riding around” it, is pretty crazy considering how expensive the bike is. It’s a great bike now, but if I didn’t have access to pure gas the bike would be getting replaced.
Awesome to hear as the only juice my bike has ever consumed is pure earth juice and hasn't pinged, even on the dyno.

Made me think of Bill the Cat
Trust me, that is exactly the face I made LOL :grin2:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I also have been experiencing this sound, and I tried adding an octane booster from Maxima. Thinking it was pre detonation. I regret doing it cause now I believe I’m having a fuel injection issue.
Before putting in the octane booster. I spilled a little bit on some plastic shelving and it melted the plastic. I should of listened to my instinct and refrained from putting it in. But here we are.
I put in the recommended amount according to Maxima. Full tank of premium gas, 4-5 ounces of the octane booster. First ride felt like the bike was dull at low RPMS. Came back and emptied what was left in the tank, thinking it was a mistake to use the octane booster.
When removing my hand pump hose out of the tank, I had seen some small plastic shavings shave off the hose. I’m hoping that hasn’t clogged anything.
So now I’m experiencing Between 5-7k rpm. It feels like the TC is on, when TC has been switched off. Also feels like the rear tire is loosing grip for s split second. A lack or lag of power I guess you could say. Which why I’m thinking its fuel related.
So either I’ve melted something inside the tank , like the fuel pump. Or possibly melted something in the fuel injectors. Or I’ve Clogged up the fuel lines with plastic shavings.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am able to source 89 ethonol free near me does anyone know if that would be better for the bike than shell 93?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also have been experiencing this sound, and I tried adding an octane booster from Maxima. Thinking it was pre detonation. I regret doing it cause now I believe I’m having a fuel injection issue.
Before putting in the octane booster. I spilled a little bit on some plastic shelving and it melted the plastic. I should of listened to my instinct and refrained from putting it in. But here we are.
I put in the recommended amount according to Maxima. Full tank of premium gas, 4-5 ounces of the octane booster. First ride felt like the bike was dull at low RPMS. Came back and emptied what was left in the tank, thinking it was a mistake to use the octane booster.
When removing my hand pump hose out of the tank, I had seen some small plastic shavings shave off the hose. I’m hoping that hasn’t clogged anything.
So now I’m experiencing Between 5-7k rpm. It feels like the TC is on, when TC has been switched off. Also feels like the rear tire is loosing grip for s split second. A lack or lag of power I guess you could say. Which why I’m thinking its fuel related.
So either I’ve melted something inside the tank , like the fuel pump. Or possibly melted something in the fuel injectors. Or I’ve Clogged up the fuel lines with plastic shavings.
Thoughts?

My bike performed the exact same way when i tried to take it for a test ride with no servo, servo buddy or ecu flash if that helps you source your problem

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ian

I put in ethanol free 90 and at 4K 4th if I snap the throttle it pings horribly. So not sure eth free89 will help

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ian

I put in ethanol free 90 and at 4K 4th if I snap the throttle it pings horribly. So not sure eth free89 will help

Dave

I figured, i havent noticed this problem myself was just curious if it would be better for the bike. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ian

Dave

Same. I’m still running the 92 ethanol free, and the bike runs noticeably better. That said, it still pings in 4th at 4000rpm too. Nothing horrible, and nothing like it was on corn gas but it’s not 100% gone. It no longer does it in the lower gears though at all. I assume that it has something to do with the ride by wire throttle not actually giving you wot in the lower gears at that rpm, where in fact it does in 4th. Overall great bike with proper gas, but unacceptable without.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see this is older post but just wanted to share my experience with the exact same issues most the others where having with the engine ping at around 3- 4k. I was very disappointed when i got my 2018 1000RR home and riding it for the first time and hearing this noise. I bought my bike 4 hours out of state and trying to get Honda to help locally was a joke. The dealer i bought from said it was impossible it was doing that and to bring it back so they could look it over. decided to take matters into my own hands. So started off with changing my fuel to 91 ethanol free and the noice was less noticeable in the lower gears. I still couldn't believe i just spent all this money and the bike sounds like i have marbles in the top end. So I flashed the ECU voiding my one year warranty but as of now i not longer hear any noise in any gear and the bike performs amazing. Love the bike but not sure ill be buying anything Honda anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Not sure how an issue easily addressed by different fuel, different driving habits or a richer fuel table flash is grounds to not buy an EPA noise/emissions compliant bike?

The SC77 dies not have any knock sensors so it’s not going adjust itself and Honda don’t seem too worried that this low speed low rev high gear poor fuel quality pinging.

👍

Welcome, what other than fueling what else did you adjust with the tune?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a 2017 and 2012 both of them made the same noise it was the CCT , once change the noise went away , started out like the last video if you gas it at low rpm's it was sounds like that then it turned into everytime it got to 4200rpms until 5000 or so it would go away , the cct isn't terrible to change out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure how an issue easily addressed by different fuel, different driving habits or a richer fuel table flash is grounds to not buy an EPA noise/emissions compliant bike?

The SC77 dies not have any knock sensors so it’s not going adjust itself and Honda don’t seem too worried that this low speed low rev high gear poor fuel quality pinging.

👍

Welcome, what other than fueling what else did you adjust with the tune?
Tune was done by TOCE

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 and 2012 both of them made the same noise it was the CCT , once change the noise went away , started out like the last video if you gas it at low rpm's it was sounds like that then it turned into everytime it got to 4200rpms until 5000 or so it would go away , the cct isn't terrible to change out.
Was the bike making this noise when it was brand new? Mine had 3 miles on it and it was doing this

·
Registered
206 Posts
My 17 started around 3000 miles but it is possible the stock cct is fluid pressured to push the Piston out to tighten the chain in my opinion it's a bad design.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts