Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

While removing the extended swingarm on a recently purchased bike this afternoon, I ran into quite the pickle. Once reinstalling the rear wheel on the swingarm I found that the previous owner had ground off the brake mount on the inside of the swingarm. (Ya know where that brake bracket slides up in order to keep the rear brake sturdy) Evidently the tire he had on there was going to rub.

Is it possible to run the bike w/o having that mount? It seems once I've tightened everything down in the rear that the bracket doesn't seem that it wants to move anywhere. I have a new chain I need to install & don't want to have to break it apart again as soon as I figure out that this won't work.

I guess this will give me a reason to find an '07 black swingarm soon. Let me know your thoughts. I'm anxious to try out my new sprockets, but don't want to mess anything up.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
:ttiwwp:

·
Premium Noob
1,416 Posts
I wouldn't do it!

Go with the Ladybird set-up, you won't need the mount inside the swingarm.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what that Ladybird setup is all about. I'll search for it. Here's a pic of the piece they ground off...

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went ahead & mounted the chain. I was too anxious to try out new sprockets. While testing the rear brake it slid forward which I expected. Looks like I have a good excuse to get the '07 swingarm now. I may look into that ladybird setup. That is probably as expensive as a swingarm & i'd much rather have the black swingarm though.

·
Premium Noob
1,416 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ditch that extended swsingarm ASAP.
Definitely did. I need to sell the extensions cause now I gotta buy a new frackin swingarm. I'm too new of member to advertise on here however.

·
Bleed Red, Ride Red
1,097 Posts
The slots for the rear brake hold the brake in place under braking without when you apply the brake it could just move back and forth
+1
Everytime you brake the caliper will follow the direction of the rotor and slam down onto your swingarm, sure it will stop there but I wouldn't want that happening to my bike.

This sounds a little ghetto but a quick fix until you get another swingarm would be to install two self taping screws where the slot would have been, one on top and the other on the bottom to hold to caliper in place under braking but yet you would still have the ability to adjust your chain and let the caliper bracket slide back and forth on the screw at the bottom.

Just my .02

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GREAT IDEA! I wonder if I can get my drill in there.

·
Premium Noob
1,416 Posts
Ladybird ftw ...

Attachments

·
InnovativeMS
944 Posts
You could just run by a quality welder and they could weld to bars for a slot onto the swingarm, it's just a centered slot on the swingarm, probably wouldn't cost much and would be cheaper then another swingarm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts