Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Long time member and have had countless 2012+ 1000rrs; I believe 4 in total. Great bike but I hated being paranoid about taking long trips and worrying about my oil level. Yes, they all consumed oil, but to varying degrees; not a lot, but more than I was comfortable with.

I’ve taken a break from bikes over the past 2 years after an accident and I’m looking to get back on a Honda. From what I’ve read, the new 1000rr shares the same engine as the 2012+. Does this mean I can still expect some degree of oil consumption?

Sorry, I know the term “oil burn” makes people cringe by now, but I just want an idea of what I’d be getting myself into.

Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine is on 11500 kilometres, checked the oil this morning using the exact method in the manual and the dipstick is as dry as a bone.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
. Really? I find that if mine is not exactly verticle I get a false reading
Unless they've changed the procedure since the '08 that's exactly how it is supposed to be done. Straight up, both tires touching level ground and at the balance position.

·
Registered
329 Posts
There is very little difference between the '17 motor and anything back to '08. The SP2 has a unique cylinder head.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I feel like my 2012 is using less and less oil. Just now has 9K miles on her. Checked today and was only a few ounces low since her oil change last year!

·
Registered
305 Posts
oil consumption is a bit hit & miss in my experience. Some engines are said to burn some due to their design (intentional or unintentional:surprise:)
and manufacturers hide behind the "1ltr/1000mile is normal" excuse!.

Years ago, I had a golf mk2 16V when I took delivery, the salesman said because of the high reving engine & harder piston rings, the engine burns oil until all is run in and some people would totally run out of it during the 10000miles service interval! In fact mine burned 5 ltrs over that period. By the time I got to 60k miles the engine would not use a single drop.

I would always monitor the oil level/ consumption of any car/bike new to me to get a reference. More critical on the CBR since it takes less than 200ml to go from min to full markers. Once done, it is easier to plan a long trip and decide how much oil would be needed

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
71 Posts
My '17 SP changed to Amsoil full synthetic at the end of the 500 miles break-in period and now have almost 7000 miles on it and it hasn't used any oil. The quality of the oil is probably the reason for the pristine dip stick. :)

·
a d m i n
151,028 Posts
That's how engines should be. I can see the frustration of 08/09 owners when Honda told them it's normal for these engines to consume oil.
Yea def had some loss wt my former new ‘08 back in ‘08.
The worst was after doing a supertwins practice at Loudon, only to half my oil burned up in my less than 2 year old 00 RC51. Thankfully I bought the Honda extended warr and got an engine rebuild covered. Lucky.

·
BOTM Moderator
359 Posts
Yea def had some loss wt my former new ‘08 back in ‘08.
The worst was after doing a supertwins practice at Loudon, only to half my oil burned up in my less than 2 year old 00 RC51. Thankfully I bought the Honda extended warr and got an engine rebuild covered. Lucky.
wow!! good for you that got it covered and fixed.

Based on what I have read, it was the rings, right? or was it the cylinder coating?

·
a d m i n
151,028 Posts
wow!! good for you that got it covered and fixed.

Based on what I have read, it was the rings, right? or was it the cylinder coating?
On the ‘00 51? I can’t remember, thinking rings in one cylinder. It helps to be close with your Honda dlr, I’ve been with them For 25 years. Oldest Honda dlr in the NE.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts