Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
BOTM Moderator
363 Posts
On the ‘00 51? I can’t remember, thinking rings in one cylinder. It helps to be close with your Honda dlr, I’ve been with them For 25 years. Oldest Honda dlr in the NE.
Wait a minute. I don't remember voting NY into the NE club.
:p

·
Can't Spell
412 Posts
I can't imagine it needed an engine rebuild. Hone the cylinder, add new rings, should be good to go. Otherwise under warranty they replace engines. I've never seen oversized pistons or cut cranks on a warranty job.

·
a d m i n
151,041 Posts
I can't imagine it needed an engine rebuild. Hone the cylinder, add new rings, should be good to go. Otherwise under warranty they replace engines. I've never seen oversized pistons or cut cranks on a warranty job.
Yea, it's tuff remembering last week, let alone near 20 years ago. All I know is it got taken care of under the extended warranty, which I was super thankful for, as my dlr billed Honda a substantial amount iirc.
I like doing basic maint, but I'm a sport rider, not a mechanic.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My '17 SP changed to Amsoil full synthetic at the end of the 500 miles break-in period and now have almost 7000 miles on it and it hasn't used any oil. The quality of the oil is probably the reason for the pristine dip stick. :)
Exactly the same oil i use and same story. 17+ not a drop lost.

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,090 Posts
I use Honda GN4 10W-40 along with Honda filter for my 2017 CBR1000S1 and no measurable loss of oil after each 4,000 mile interval.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yep I use Rotella 15w-40 conventional oil and my CBR doesn't seem to consume any during my 2k mile OCI (I change the filter every other). That tells me the motor is broken in nicely :).

·
Can't Spell
412 Posts
I've used Honda, mobil 1, valvoline and castrol oil in my bikes so far without any of them using oil. Proper break in seats rings and that's that.

Reactions: HP17

·
a d m i n
151,041 Posts
I use Honda GN4 10W-40 along with Honda filter for my 2017 CBR1000S1 and no measurable loss of oil after each 4,000 mile interval.
I use the same, but 10W30 GN4, around 4K as well. No noticeable loss on the SC77.

When I had my new '12 CBR1K, no oil loss either.

·
Can't Spell
412 Posts
I didn't even know Honda made conventional oil in 10-30 as they don't offer it here in Phoenix.

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,090 Posts
I didn't even know Honda made conventional oil in 10-30 as they don't offer it here in Phoenix.
Yup, conventional 10W-30 is what's recommended in the manual, even for the 2021 Fireblade. I've seen it on every Honda dealership shelf in Houston.

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
71 Posts
The Manual might call for conventional oil but I still prefer a 100% ester-base stock synthetic oil like Amsoil or Redline, etc. Last I heard Mobile 1 is not full synthetic but uses enough percentage of synthetic that the government say they can call it synthetic. (Freaking Politicians :) ) I like to see the base number close to the top weight number, like 10w-30 rather than 10w-40 or 50 as it has less viscosity improver additive and more real oil. And if you run a synthetic you don't have to worry about viscosity thinning at higher temps.
Oil type is one of those hot-button subjects, like gun control, everybody has an opinion but talk to some of the real oil scientist as to what goes into an oil for specific uses and it will make your head spin.

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,090 Posts
The Manual might call for conventional oil but I still prefer a 100% ester-base stock synthetic oil like Amsoil or Redline, etc. Last I heard Mobile 1 is not full synthetic but uses enough percentage of synthetic that the government say they can call it synthetic. (Freaking Politicians :) ) I like to see the base number close to the top weight number, like 10w-30 rather than 10w-40 or 50 as it has less viscosity improver additive and more real oil. And if you run a synthetic you don't have to worry about viscosity thinning at higher temps.
Oil type is one of those hot-button subjects, like gun control, everybody has an opinion but talk to some of the real oil scientist as to what goes into an oil for specific uses and it will make your head spin.
In decades of owning cars/motorcycles and following the owners manual, I'll worry if I ever have an oil related engine failure.

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
71 Posts
Never had an oil related failure, even in the old days with conventional oils but, for me, it is about total amount of wear and the startup protection of a synthetic and how long you want the engine to last between rebuilds or if racing you want that little bit of extra power from reduced friction.
But yes, any good quality oil that meets the Manufacturers requirements will work fine.

·
Can't Spell
412 Posts
The Manual might call for conventional oil but I still prefer a 100% ester-base stock synthetic oil like Amsoil or Redline, etc. Last I heard Mobile 1 is not full synthetic but uses enough percentage of synthetic that the government say they can call it synthetic.
The manual doesn't call for conventional, it just calls for Honda oil's. Honda makes all 3 types.
Mobil 1 is the only recommended synthetic for a lot factory cars, so it must be ok enough.
As for the weight split,that's a whole 'nother convo. Used to be Chevy would void engine warranties for using 10-40. Too much of a split when starting with a 10 base stock. Now a days cars use 10-60 from the factory in things like BMW M cars, so wth?

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,090 Posts
The manual doesn't call for conventional
ProHonda GN4 is conventional oil. I've attached page 224 from the 2017 owner's manual.

Here's a video of the first service of a 2021 CBR1000RR-R SP. The tech names the oil and shows the oil container at 6:19.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
71 Posts
Now a days cars use 10-60 from the factory in things like BMW M cars, so wth?
BMW has always done things "different" with oil. The BMW factory calls for the ZF transmission to use the BMW synthetic tranny oil but when you drain it you see massive wear from the brass synchros. Switching to Redline MTL shows very little wear with smoother shifting. Understandably I am upset with BMW and their recommendations, it is VERY expensive to replace the synchros in the ZF transmission. So how did we get started on cars..., well my brother owned the K100 BMW liter bike and always had issues with it which I won't enumerate, so don't get me started on BMW. :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think the point is: do not take the factory recommendation as gospel. Use your brain.

·
Can't Spell
412 Posts
ProHonda GN4 is conventional oil. I've attached page 224 from the 2017 owner's manual.
Page 224 says "Pro honda gn4 OR honda 4 stroke oil OR an equivalent oil"
So it gives multiple options.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts