Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Senior Citizen
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my service. I've noticed that a very small amount of oil seems to be dripping from the oil filler cap. I suppose this happens when I'm riding; it doesn't drip when it's just sitting. I wipe it every day, but there's always a little more after I ride. Anyone else have this? Anything I should be concerned about?

Also, there's a buildup of thick dark grey goopy stuff in a crevice just above and behind the shift lever hinge. It drips down onto the kickstand hinge. I think it's chain lube, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Elmel

·
Registered
65 Posts
i just changed my own oil at the 600 mile mark (even safety wire the filler cap) and have the same small amount of seepage but only at the filler cap. and NO, I did not overfill it.

yes that is the factory chain lube heating up and running off of the countershaft sprocket. it cleans up real easy.

·
Senior Citizen
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. So no need to drain some out? It's ok as is?

·
I don't have a Member
262 Posts
viper said:
YEAP, it reads like an overfilling of oil... no big deal, just let it "sweat" it out :wink:
Actually, overfilling of oil is a big deal. It could get up into the air box and in general it's just hard on the engine.

In all the Hondas I've owned, I've never put the exact amount it stated in the manual. Add up to to line in the window, then start the bike. Turn off engine, add a little more up to the window (as it will decrease) and start the engine again.

·
Live to RIDE/RIDE to LIVE
2,267 Posts
Actually you can blow out seals on your motor by overfilling. More oil increases operating pressure. Depending on how overfilled it is I woudl drain it!! I also sometimes get some sepage from the oil cap. Take the rubber gasket off, wipe it down and put back.

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
this thread reminds me of a funny story...

when i bought my 01 gsxr 1000 (got it used at a repo auction in Jersey) I rode it a few times and was seriously dissappointed with the power it seemed to be putting out.

I had read that suzuki limits the power in the lower gears so i figured that might be the cause of the problem. getting the front wheel in the air was not nearly as easy as with my R1.

So, I was pretty quick to install a TRE, and a power commander as it had an aftermarket pipe, but neither of those two things helped either.

Anyway, i go up to my local shop to pick up an oil filter and spark plugs etc so I can do a tune-up on it (I do this whenever I buy a used bike) and I figure I will have them take it for a spin and see if it feels down on power.

One of the guys that works there has the exact same bike, takes it out and comes back and says that it feels a LITTLE bit low on power but nothing to worry about.

I'm not satisfied, so I ask them to put it on the dyno. after the run, the guy tells me that it is putting out 115. thinking i misheard him, i said 150? that isn't too bad. "no" he says, "1-1-5". I'm royally ticked at that point and I figure i've bought a piece of junk.

So they start working on it and luckily the first thing they did was start draining the oil. turns out the moron who owned it before had seriously overfilled it... something like a full quart extra if i remember correctly. after getting the oil level back to normal, they did another dyno run on it and it was at like 147 or something like that.

point of the story... i am always VERY careful not to overfill my oil after seeing the effect it can have.

·
Senior Citizen
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's been ten months since I posted the original question, and I've changed the oil several times (myself, of course). Everything seems fine -- no leaks from the filler cap. But yes, it does seem to take a wee bit more than Honda recommends.

·
No More Bike.....
3,769 Posts
ITs all good Elmel. By now youve figured that out. Mine does that after every oil cahnge for a couple days . Not a leak but a little run down the case.

bdlstyle

·
Gold Member
5,002 Posts
**Faster is Better** said:
should be filled with 3.8 qrts, not 4 qrts, not 3.5.
also the rubber o-ring on the cap could be missing or cracked.
Service manual states 3.0 qts without filter change 3.3 qts with filter change.

I just changed mine with filter. Put in 3.0 qts, started bike. Then filled until the oil was at the top line of the check window. Came out to almost 3.3 qts just a tad over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.