Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
I have 1000rr 2011 17000 km on clock. Yesterday before ride my oil signal flicked and went off while bike was on and did that twice but when I started riding went off I was riding for a bit (low rpm 5-6k all the time) all the time oil signal was off when came home bike sounded normal nothing weird.

Drianed oil today and around 1.6l came out. I changed new oil and filter and turned on everything is normal no weird noises coming out from bike. I was reading comments here on forum and asking this coz I got a bit paranoid that something could happen while I was riding even oil signal was off all the time.

When I finished today with changing oil and filter I also noticed after I did short run when bike is off and I twisted a key and gave contact that oil signal pressure is on while bike is off but when I turn on the engine disappears and doesn't light anymore. I completely forgot how it was before and is that normla or not?

I know I did mistake with not checking oil level regularly and I learned a lesson now but my questions are, did something could happened and also if did happened how would I know (what would be the sign of that)?

Thank you for you replies

Ps posted photo of dash when bike has contact but engine is off.

Attachments

·
SuperMod
769 Posts
When I finished today with changing oil and filter I also noticed after I did short run when bike is off and I twisted a key and gave contact that oil signal pressure is on while bike is off but when I turn on the engine disappears and doesn't light anymore. I completely forgot how it was before and is that normla or not?
Having the light on when the ignition is on (engine not running) is normal. tells you the light is working.
when the engine comes on and builds pressure, the light goes off. tells you have oil pressure
having it come on when engine is on means you are loosing pressure. reasons vary: low oil, bad pump, bad sensor, loose wire, etc.

·
SuperMod
769 Posts
I don't know. maybe some other folks like @09_Blade can make a comment.

I would guess to say it's difficult to know.
If it was truely due to low oil, it will depend on how low, how much you pushed it while it was low, how long, etc.
Honestly, it doesn't matter at this point. Make sure your oil is topped of, keep an eye on the light and if it flickers again don't push it.
hope for the best.

·
Classifieds Moderator
708 Posts
Oil pressure is monitored by a on/off switch that shuts off the oil light once sufficient oil pressure (about 80psi) builds up. The CBR1000RR does not have a true oil pressure gauge. Once that oil light goes off there is oil pressure and the engine will function normally.

The fact that the light went off as the bike is running means there is nothing to worry about. If you were riding it with that oil light on then I'd be worried about oil starved bearings.

1.6L of oil is less than half of what you should drain (about 3.5L).

What happened in your case is the oil level is so low that it's below the level of the oil pump strainer so it takes some time for the oil to re-prime the pump that's why it's only happening at rest.

No worry. Go ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts