Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am new to CBR1000RR's but having a problem I can not figure out. Changed oil and installed a new Honda filter, red light comes on when started, replaced oil pressure sending unit, still comes on. Dropped the pan, cleaned strainer, fresh oils and still stays on. I unplugged the sending unit and still stays on. Checked battery connections, still stays on. Checked wiring still stays on. When the sending unit isn't hooked up, shouldn't the light go off ? Man I am lost ? Any help would be great. Mine is an o6 with 21,000 miles.

·
Registered
285 Posts
have you tried another filter in case the built in pressure relief valve is fault.

To get a clearer picture, you can put a gauge and measure the oil pressure. I had it done by my mechanic at the last service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Three different filters, three oil changes ? Two new sending units. I am going to get a oil pressure gauge today.

·
Registered
285 Posts
must have cost a small fortune.

can't help you on the light status with the switch disconnected. hopefully another member with this experience can chime in

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hope this is right place to post this.
2005 1000rr, 29000mi, stock.
Tried to ride to work today, all normal. About 3 miles in I lost power and oil light came on. Pulled over and she shut off. Let it sit for 5 min, started up and started heading home. 30 seconds later, same thing. Started losing power, oil light came on, then it shut off. Pushed it the rest of the way home. I’ll check out oil level, and change it. I don’t want to start it again till I check for oil leaks. I’ll drain what I can, change filter and add about 3qts. And start it up, let heat up, check the oil level and see if it happens again.
Any suggestions? Thanks again

Show Full Signature

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you have the correct amount of oil and a good/newish oil filter and the oil pressure light comes on I wouldn't start the bike again without checking the actual oil pressure. If it's low it could be clogged pick up tube, bad oil pump ( not sure if the pumps can go bad in these or not), or motor is toast.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the red FI light (of death) come on, on my 2006 cbr1000rr because the oil filler cap wasn't tight. I tighten really tight and the light went away.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Lose of oil pressure can be bearings, oil pump, clog, or lose of crank case pressure.
The bike will shut off it low oil pressure is experienced for a specific duration.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The bike will shut off it low oil pressure is experienced for a specific duration.
That's a nice feature. I guess it makes more sense to save people from mechanical failure on two wheels than on four.

Riding with a buddy in his car a long time ago down the highway at 75mph, oil light comes on. I tell him his oil light is on, and he says "yeah it does that sometimes." So I ask if he's checked the oil. He says "nah, my brother says it's probably just the sensor." Er... Less than 30 seconds later a loud squeelin' comes from the front of the car, car loses power, you hear what sounds like a tool box being dumped under the car. He pulls over onto the side of the highway. We open the hood and saw the pistons decided to remove themselves from the non-lubricated situation, through a flaming hole in the block.

All that to say, to disable the bike if engine pressure is low will probably save people that would rather assume it's a non-issue than to make sure it isn't one...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts