Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting oil in and around the pan/filter area of the motor. Can't tell where it is coming from. New 2017. Any good way to determine source or what factors could be at play? The plug seems dry and the filter is tight.

·
Banned
0 Posts
My 2017 SP2 has had a weeping oil leak since day 1. Just as you describe. Is the slight weeping to the right lower side? A smudge of oil on the lower right fairing? I intend to replace the oil pan Honda bond with a kit race gasket one of these days.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Had the same problem 2017.

Fixed by draining the oil. Undoing part #26, #27 and then can pull off #19 and cleaned/re-seated #28. Bolted back up and never leaked since.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Seems like an elaborate redesign for the oil drain plug. I don't recall any issues with previous years that would prompt a change, especially one that would unnecessarily introduce a weakness.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Only thing i can think of is people stripping the threads in the pan from over-tightening the drain bolt. The new design means you would only strip the threads in the plate.

Just my guess.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will honda honor a warranty for such a thing? i didnt bring it back for the 500 mile oil change because i did it myself. does this void anything?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all the recommendations. I checked drain plug surround, filter, pan gasket and bolts. All looked good....until I noticed the pressure/ sensor boot was filled with oil... Tightened the sensor. Will re test next nice day... Other than tightening what else can I check?

·
Registered
137 Posts
If i were you i would make sure someone at Honda receives your photos as documentation of your issue, along with a pic of the odometer.

I would torque the sensor down to factory specs and if problems persist take it to Honda with your documentation and make them rectify the issue.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I saw that on my motor as well. Within the first 5 miles. It has weeped oil since 1st start up.
RC-

do you mind checking your sensor and reporting back. maybe its an issue. anyway seems simple enough either way if it is just the sensor.

·
Registered
353 Posts
mine developped an annoying weeping after the 12k service. Nowhere near as dramatic as your though.
It turned out to be the big hex bolt which needed tightening(to the right of the pressure switch in your picture). I was told, it is where you screw the oil pressure gauge to.

I gave the filter, switch, drain plug and the sump a thorough clean, then monitored it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So update is...I tightened the oil pressure sensor and tested it out today. The leak has slowed but still exists... Any ideas? Rtv on the threads?

·
Registered
353 Posts
hopefully you are all sorted by now.

Incidently, which high temp sealant did you use on the thread? I need to do the same on one of my bikes. thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts