Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2015 bike.. It’s been colder the past couple weeks.. maybe dipped into low 30’s. So my bikes been sitting in the garage.. it’s about 50 today so I go to role it out, and notice (What I thought to be) blue coolant leaking from the overflow tube. But it was coming from the hose that dumps on the left hand side by the kickstand… smelled the fluid and it smelled like coolant? Is this normal and why would it do this if it was just setting for two weeks when it’s cold out?

·
Tech SuperMod!
1,177 Posts
There is a hose from the radiator cap to the coolant overflow tank behind the rear shock. If the coolant overflow tank level is too high, it will overflow from a hose on the left side of the bike.

Put the bike on the side stand, and use a flashlight to check the fluid level inside the overflow tank. It should be at the mark indicated on the plastic tank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a hose from the radiator cap to the coolant overflow tank behind the rear shock. If the coolant overflow tank level is too high, it will overflow from a hose on the left side of the bike.

Put the bike on the side stand, and use a flashlight to check the fluid level inside the overflow tank. It should be at the mark indicated on the plastic tank.
Overflow coolant level between min and max.. it looks like oe blue coolant, I’m hoping a few drops over time is somewhat normal, it’s just weird since it’s been about 30 at night?? Rode it just now for about 15 min (it’s cold out) and no drip yet.

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
327 Posts
Sounds like your bike needs a diaper.:p
But seriously, with a flash light, inspect the under side of the bike looking for flow marks from the coolant. Make sure it is the overflow tube that is dripping, probably is, but verifying could safe a headache later. I had one vehicle that started weeping coolant, next thing I knew that gasket holding back the coolant had disintegrated, leaking coolant outside and inside the engine, mixed with the oil and proceeded to wipe the main bearings, full engine rebuild time. So I am paranoid about coolant leaks. And coolant on the ground is very slippery, found some in the middle of a turn once, cost me a new right side fairing.
Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like your bike needs a diaper.:p
But seriously, with a flash light, inspect the under side of the bike looking for flow marks from the coolant. Make sure it is the overflow tube that is dripping, probably is, but verifying could safe a headache later. I had one vehicle that started weeping coolant, next thing I knew that gasket holding back the coolant had disintegrated, leaking coolant outside and inside the engine, mixed with the oil and proceeded to wipe the main bearings, full engine rebuild time. So I am paranoid about coolant leaks. And coolant on the ground is very slippery, found some in the middle of a turn once, cost me a new right side fairing.
Good luck.
Thanks for the info. After posting I noticed with the bike stood up straight the overflow is a little over the max full line.. will do that inspection still and keep an eye on it.. kinda felt around under and inside the faring and it was all clean, burnt the shit out of my hand tho 😃

1 - 6 of 6 Posts