Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the interesting thread about WSBK, I feel RC45's pain and decided to share my own Honda Corporate story. Relax in a chair, and tag along on my three year journey.

As most of you know, I own a 2008 Limited Edition CBR 1000RR. What made it a limited edition? The special fairing kit that included the ghost stripping, and all black fairings and body accents. I deliberately went looking for one back in 2016, and fortunately found one being sold by a private dealer in Tampa who deals in exotic motorcycles and cars. The bike is pristine, with the obvious fairing kit, etc. so I purchase at a premium, and happily ride off into the sunset. A few months down the road, I decide to update the stripes, because they have a few years and I want to keep the bike looking like new. No problem, I look for the sticker under the seat to get the paint code with no luck. So, I reach out to other LE owners for some support on this forum and hit a road-block. Understandable, bike is a few years old and only 500 were made. Most have probably been crashed, trashed on the track, or sold. Let me go to Honda for some help. This is where the fun starts.

First, I go to my local dealer. Provide VIN number and let him know I have a LE and want to order the special stripes. Pay in advance, and happily wait the few weeks for the parts to arrive. Get the call, go to pick them up and realize black stripes were sent. What??? Refuse the stripes, get a refund and decide to go another route. Check EBAY, all the on-line parts suppliers, and can't find the part# for the LE. No problem, I'll call the national Honda part supplier line and get exactly what I need. Get a supply analyst on the phone, explain my situation, and he assures me he can get the right part. Also let's me know his buddy working next to him also owns an LE, so he will verify with him and get me what I need. I place the order, and a few weeks later I get black stripes again in the mail. What??? I contact the analyst again, and ask what is the issue. Get apology, but at this point I don't want to order again from Honda corporate so I look for other avenues. Go to another local Honda dealer, and make the same request. By this time, I have done my research, and know part#'s, paint codes, etc. that they have been sending me. Dealer looks up things in his system, and only offers me the black stripes like the others. Okay, I get it now. The dealers don't have access to the LE part#'s and it looks like Honda Corporate doesn't either. Are you serious!!! All I want is a few stripes. This is nearly seven months later, so I am tired of chasing at this point.

Next, I have to return to Minneapolis for work for a few years so the bike is shipped and the supplier cracks the tail fairing! Once again, I work with a dealership to order the tail fairing, and end up with a YELLOW one a few weeks later. Is this a mad joke being played on me? Send it back, and order a carbon fiber tail fairing since I am tired of dealing with Honda.

I return to Florida in 2018, where I can ride year round when my gas tank gets a severe scratch. Now I have a little time, so I decide to get to the bottom of why I can't order the proper parts for my LE. I start by talking with Honda Europe. Yes, I said Honda Europe! I know I can't get anywhere in Torrance, so I seek outside help. Exchange emails with an analyst there, and realize LE information is NOT generally listed, and that I have to work thru Torrance to get what I need. Here we go again after several years of calls, emails, and incorrect parts being shipped. In the mean-time, I have my gas tank CUSTOM painted in the LE paint scheme by my gifted painter here in Florida. Not an inexpensive venture. Next move is to address my parts dilemma head on.

I type a personal letter to Keita Muramatsu, Executive Vice President, American Honda Motor Co. Inc, with part of the letter written in Japanese. The letter clearly explains my frustrations, and the many years of missed opportunities to keep a loyal Honda consumer happy. I also let him know all of these communications are clearly documented within their corporate system including Europe, and his assistance would be greatly appreciated. I place the letter in the mail, and wait patiently. Three weeks later, I get a call from the same supplier analyst that has been screwing me over the years, who has my letter in hand from Keita and he is ready to finally help. Yes ladies and gentlemen, personal contact via snail mail and not email, fax, or text still works!

Analyst can no longer give me the run around, so magically the part#'s for my stripes, fairings, and gas tank appear. I also learn that the stripe can't be ordered separately, since it is pre-fabricated with the fairing and must be purchased whole. Wish I knew this a few years ago! He asks if I want to order any parts and I just smile and say no. I request he email me a copy of the schematic outlining all of the part#'s for the top shelter, middle cowls, seat, and tail. He agrees, and after three plus years, I will finally be able to order the parts I need for my LE bike. Problem solved, right!

NOPE, After a week I don't receive the email. What??? I recontact the analyst via email, and he says it is on the way. Wait another week, and contact him directly via phone. Once again, I am promised the information but after another two days, NOTHING! I then contact Honda Corporate and ask to speak to his manager, and threaten to call Keita personally. Eureka, the document magically appears in my In-box. I now call this document the "Holy Grail," of my part listing storing a copy on my computer, printed copy in the safe, and another with my mechanic just in case something happens to me. Thank God I am loyal Honda owner who loves his CBR!!!:grin2:

·
Stand your ground
1,102 Posts
Dang, I would have given up and gone with a different scheme years ago. Bravo.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I am so not surprised by this type of fiasco. :gay: It is so very infuriating to be lied to over the phone repeatedly by the same person that assures you they have your best interest as a loyal Honda customer at heart - but this seems to be the preferred Honda way.

Glad you prevailed in the end. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
"Press 1 for Honda Parts, press 2 for Comcast Xfinity cable problems" About the same level of frustration. Right up there with standing in line at DMV.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice Story.

And did you bike burn oil because Honda used the wrong Piston Rings?
I am surprised Honda didn't offer to send me the fairings at a discounted price or even free at this point! Just upgraded my engine on my CBR. >:)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I also bought a limited edition RR8 at the time (100 only).

I was told by an ex worker honda resprayed some bike which were not selling well (because of the colour) to yellow and to be careful about the paintcode label on the bike to make sure it matches the actual code for the fairing colour.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, helps me understand why I received a "Yellow" tail. I now have all the actual part numbers for every fairing. Buying a full set, and will keep existing as back-up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts