Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much screwing around I am buying a leftover 08' CBR in Candy Red and silver. Vin #5840 and not sure of the build date. The clutch already has the recall done. Strange story of how I bought the CBR.

I have been modding my 08' FZ1 into a FZ1N for the last couple months and I was close to being done. My local Yamaha dealer really has taken a liking to it and a couple of weeks ago gave me a deal on a 09' R1 in Raven that I couldn’t pass up. First question that I asked him; what would be the cost of the R1 if I kept the FZ1 (I wasn’t really ready to get rid of her). His reply was still a good deal. So, I told him let’s do it.

The R1 was to be a simple dealer trade. Well after 2 days and no dealer wanting to do a dealer trade he called me back and asked what I would like to do. I asked where is the dealer that had Raven R1s. After spending 2 days on the road running around trying to find one that wasn't already sold, I located a R1 about 2 hours away. He must of known that there was very few in upstate New York because his price sucked.

So, I get a call from my dealer telling me that another dealer an hour away just got one in. I call them and sure enough they have one. I ride my FZ1 over to see the bike. I tell the owner the story, she offers the same deal on the R1 and really good deal on a CBR 1000RR. I told her I will be back tomorrow to buy one or the other.

Tomorrow is comes and my wife really like the R1 color scheme but said it was up to me being both bikes are very good rides (my wife rides also). So, again I tell the dealer I will take the R1.

The R1 was in a crate still, so they pull the crate out and begin to bring it around to make sure everyone is happy with what they saw; when they notice that it is not Raven but white (dealer miss-logged it in).

It was at this point that I bought the CBR. I have had 20 years of great experiences on my CRs and CRFs. Granted they all had their problems, but all in all great bikes.

Once I get the bike home I will snap some pics and post it up.

I attached a photo of the FZ1.

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should have gotten the white '09. A cbr is no crf, I would not have based a purchase on that.
Not really spending any time on the CBR yet, I can't really debate that statement. But what I can tell you is that CRF450 (which is what I rode during 04-07) had great power, sometimes too much in the woods, great ergos and great brakes.

So in regards to basing the purchase of the CBR on the CRF it comes down to manufacturing principals and normally Honda does a good job.

Joe

·
Mike
825 Posts
Not really spending any time on the CBR yet, I can't really debate that statement. But what I can tell you is that CRF450 (which is what I rode during 04-07) had great power, sometimes too much in the woods, great ergos and great brakes.

So in regards to basing the purchase of the CBR on the CRF it comes down to manufacturing principals and normally Honda does a good job.

Joe
Read the sportbike shootout on the 1000rr.net homepage. You will be glad you took the CBR over the R1.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Read the sportbike shootout on the 1000rr.net homepage. You will be glad you took the CBR over the R1.
With the all the bikes being so good sometimes looks become important also. The Raven R1 is really sharp, but once I couldn't find one I went right back to Honda.

Part of it was that I had good luck with the last two Yamahas.

Joe

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks, I did a quick 64 miles tonight. It has to be the quietest bike that I have ever owned.

Very pleased so far, only negative is getting a custom to the compression braking on rough roads. Dumb question but does this bike have a gas guage?

Joe
No gas gauge..on all the bikes I've owned I've just reset one of the trip meters every time i fill up and it gives me an idear as to how much is left by looking.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.