Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys I am new here and I am looking everywhere else to find out if there is a solution to fix the pinging noise

I have bought a 2017 CBR1000RR and have 4800km on the parameter, and I have noticed there is a high pinging noise when I am accelerating from 2nd gear beyond from 3000RPM onwards ( normally 3000 - 6000). I can hear this noise, the sound is like something loose somewhere and even I have the exhaust I still can hear. I took it back to dealer they said it is might be bad fuel, they ask me to try out another servo. I tried other servo and the noise is still there. Today I call back to the dealer and tell them the noise is still here even I have used other petrol from different service station. What they have told me is they think it is normal for Honda and they said they have BMW doing the same pinging noise. I am confused, is this normal sound or something is wrong with the bike.
Need help here from everyone please.

Thanks to all

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello Guys I am new here and I am looking everywhere else to find out if there is a solution to fix the pinging noise

I have bought a 2017 CBR1000RR and have 4800km on the parameter, and I have noticed there is a high pinging noise when I am accelerating from 2nd gear beyond from 3000RPM onwards ( normally 3000 - 6000). I can hear this noise, the sound is like something loose somewhere and even I have the exhaust I still can hear. I took it back to dealer they said it is might be bad fuel, they ask me to try out another servo. I tried other servo and the noise is still there. Today I call back to the dealer and tell them the noise is still here even I have used other petrol from different service station. What they have told me is they think it is normal for Honda and they said they have BMW doing the same pinging noise. I am confused, is this normal sound or something is wrong with the bike.

Thanks to all
I have a 2017 CBR 1000RR, my bike ping too, since new off the showroom floor, do a google search, there some thread out there to read, so your not alone, maybe a ECU flash will help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2017 CBR 1000RR, my bike ping too, since new off the showroom floor, do a google search, there some thread out there to read, so your not alone, maybe a ECU flash will help?
Have you tried any to fix yours? I might go for a tune, maybe that would help...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have you tried any to fix yours? I might go for a tune, maybe that would help...
No just bought the bike New in August of 2019, so it’s still under warranty, might do a ECU flash when warranty ends, from Dano’s Performance, they say the US bikes are robbed of horsepower, the ECU Flash suppose to unlock close to 20 rear wheel horsepower for US CBR 1000.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
The bike will knock/ping if you lug the motor and/or use marginal quality fuel.
Yes you can somewhat address the issue with custom tuning, but the fact the SC77 engine does not have knock sensors we can see Honda does not consider this mid range pinging to be a problem.

If you use good quality fuel an dride the bike slightly harder you will notice the pinging issue will disappear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The bike will knock/ping if you lug the motor and/or use marginal quality fuel.
Yes you can somewhat address the issue with custom tuning, but the fact the SC77 engine does not have knock sensors we can see Honda does not consider this mid range pinging to be a problem.

If you use good quality fuel an dride the bike slightly harder you will notice the pinging issue will disappear.
I use good quality gas and don’t lug the engine, drive it the same as my other motorcycle, Gsx-R 1000 and use the same gas and that bike don’t ping, if it wasn’t a problem, when you do a google search, stuff wouldn’t pop up about it, doesn’t do it all the time, but it happens.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
I use good quality gas and don’t lug the engine, drive it the same as my other motorcycle, Gsx-R 1000 and use the same gas and that bike don’t ping, if it wasn’t a problem, when you do a google search, stuff wouldn’t pop up about it, doesn’t do it all the time, but it happens.
The point is that not all riders experience pinging with the SC77 - it is related to gasoline quality and riding style. Folks have reported that when they do change their riding style or change fuel the issue stops.
But they (or you) don't always have the option to or want to change fuel or riding style so for them a custom tune may be the only option if they (or you) don't want to just ignore the pinging.

If it was a potential problem for the engine itself then Honda would not dismiss the issue - they after-all still have to honor that warranty if the motors start grenading (which they wont).

Your Gixxer has a knock sensor so the ECU will intervene unlike the Honda that has no knock sensor and relies on fuel quality and riding style.

:)

For me, if I hadn't track altered my bike I would just ignore the pinging.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The point is that not all riders experience pinging with the SC77 - it is related to gasoline quality and riding style. Folks have reported that when they do change their riding style or change fuel the issue stops.
But they (or you) don't always have the option to or want to change fuel or riding style so for them a custom tune may be the only option if they (or you) don't want to just ignore the pinging.

If it was a potential problem for the engine itself then Honda would not dismiss the issue - they after-all still have to honor that warranty if the motors start grenading (which they wont).

Your Gixxer has a knock sensor so the ECU will intervene unlike the Honda that has no knock sensor and relies on fuel quality and riding style.

:)

For me, if I hadn't track altered my bike I would just ignore the pinging.
Yeah doesn’t really bother me to much, long as I know won’t harm the engine, would only ping when crack open the throttle not when cruising, let me ask you since you know a lot about these CBR, when you unlock the ECU on these CBR, not sure you rode a GSX-R 1000, but my 06 GSXR-1000 has more low and midrange power I can feel the difference, after the CBR ECU flash, should it be faster than my 06 GSX-R 1000 ? The CBR lighter than my GSXR and loves how good it shifts, now that the weather starting to get warmer, will start riding again, hit my 600 miles, did a oil change, looking to fun times on my CBR. This is my third Honda, my other Honda were 88 Honda Hurricane 600 and 97 CBR 900RR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I'm also new here and i also have a brand new cbr 1000rr sp1 with the same pinging noise I live in Sydney Australia and only use unleaded 98 premium fuel since the bike was new, I dont think the fuel is an issue and also around the 3000 to 3500rpm after that its fine

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks to all
Don’t listen to half of what is written here. It is not a gas issue, period. I am not even going to go into how much work I did trying to solve the “fuel” issue. Octane and ethanol only marginally improve the symptom. I have heard of some resolution from doing track days and loosening up the motor (burning off carbon), and from doing extensive fuel and timing map alterations. There are no other potential solutions. This 2017 was my third CBR 1000, and for my on-road purposes, it was garbage.

·
Hook 'em!
2,560 Posts
Don’t listen to half of what is written here. It is not a gas issue, period. I am not even going to go into how much work I did trying to solve the “fuel” issue. Octane and ethanol only marginally improve the symptom. I have heard of some resolution from doing track days and loosening up the motor (burning off carbon), and from doing extensive fuel and timing map alterations. There are no other potential solutions. This 2017 was my third CBR 1000, and for my on-road purposes, it was garbage.
More wheelies

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
If you are able to tune the ping out by way of timing changes then by that very definition it is a fuel issue.
Some people do not ever see this ping issue validating the fuel quality idea.
Further to this there are people who say if they linger in a certain RPM range they get ping/detonation but if they stay out of that RPM range (or in Bevo-speak, more-wheelies), the issue goes away.
This again, validates the fuel type/quality idea.

Finally - if you are able to completely eliminate the ping issue with a custom ignition timing map then you have again validated the fuel idea - as you have now tuned the ignition curve to match your fuel.

Tests with good qualify stable VP 100 unleaded race gas showed no ping at any RPM range, but the cost per gallon quickly passes the cost of a Woolich setup and custom tune.

The main point being that the ping/detonation is not a design flaw or huge issue as it can be a) ridden around, b) addressed with fuel type or c) tuned out.

·
Hook 'em!
2,560 Posts
If you are able to tune the ping out by way of timing changes then by that very definition it is a fuel issue.
Some people do not ever see this ping issue validating the fuel quality idea.
Further to this there are people who say if they linger in a certain RPM range they get ping/detonation but if they stay out of that RPM range (or in Bevo-speak, more-wheelies), the issue goes away.
This again, validates the fuel type/quality idea.

Finally - if you are able to completely eliminate the ping issue with a custom ignition timing map then you have again validated the fuel idea - as you have now tuned the ignition curve to match your fuel.

Tests with good qualify stable VP 100 unleaded race gas showed no ping at any RPM range, but the cost per gallon quickly passes the cost of a Woolich setup and custom tune.

The main point being that the ping/detonation is not a design flaw or huge issue as it can be a) ridden around, b) addressed with fuel type or c) tuned out.
Or just buy Shell V-Power® NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline in Texas

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here in California 91 octane, unless I am near the racetrack in Sonoma, but haven’t been there in years, guess you can add octane boost to your fuel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts