Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
yeah, but only under about 2k rpm.
Really, we should make sure we give it a few extra rpm to avoid the strain on the engine.
it pulls ok from about 3k onwards

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mine did ping but I made the mistake of putting 87 in it without realizing it said super unleaded only. My 600 said 87. It pinged until I was done with that tank and half of the next one but it seems fine now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know..seems like it should not ping at all. Gonna check with the dealer at the 600 service and let you know if anything is wrong, bulliten etc. I do know that it runs real hard otherwise.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Yep, I noticed the same, too. Glad to know that you guys have experienced this phenomenon, too. Thought I was going crazy or being overly sensitive about it. :D
Is it kinda like a sound that comes out when you're undergeared and you need to downshift when you're trying to accelerate? Kinda like a jerky, clanky, acceleration until to RPM's come up and then, whoa! :shock: watch out! Smoothe, breakneck acceleration, right?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a powercommander on my stock 1000rr and the pinging at low r's is a lot less noticeable, less lean spot in the middle of the rpm range (3000-5500) and a little more power on the top. It made a huge difference even on a stock bike. A ton more ridable, and more friendly, smoother power.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like there are a bunch that do have the same pinging issue, which can't be good for the engine no matter when it happens. It is unacceptable on a modern sport bike with advanced electronics. Something is amiss...no pun intended. Also kind of strange there would be a "bulletin" on the Octane of the gas. It is very clear in the owners manual what to use.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have not experienced this problem, even when I put one partial tank of 87 octane. It was only about two gallons to full, so there was a mix of octanes. Our super unleaded around here is 93 octane.

It is not always the octane reading that makes the pinging. Sometimes it is the additives or the amount of alcohol in the fuel for better emissions. If this is your situation a custom map will not help.
Check your local fuel laws. In you live in a densly populated area but do a lot of your riding in more rural areas fill-up in the rural areas. Usually less additives.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Joker45 said:
Matt. You are lucky because you have 98 octane to use. In the u.s. if I want that kind of octane I have to buy race gas at around 5 bucks a gallon. I agree that the bike should not pind at all. even at 91 octane.
Hmmm just about every second petrol station has premium fuel for between $AU0.90 and $AU1.15 per litre. Not sure how that works out in $US per gallon but it shouldn't be that much....

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have noticed a light ticking at around 3000rpm and also a sort of rough spot when over geared and I accelerate too hard. I am waiting to find another person aruond her with a 100rr to compare. Reading is good, but hearing makes all the difference.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.