Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know many will be aching over another 'tyre thread' but for me, as technology and products change, these updates are so necessary.

I have been a Pirelli man for a long time (various Diablo and Super Corsas) and have not been game to switch -

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've been running with Pirelli Diablo Rosso III's since I got the bike and other than the short tire life have been really happy with the performance.
I to would be game in trying another type/brand of tire and welcome all the info you and others have to offer on tires.
Is there a good source of information on direct comparisons of tires? I know RevZilla, STG, and others do tire reviews but I'd like to see info comparing touring VS performance tires as far as wear, grip, sofer VS harder sidewalls, what you can expect when changing from one to another, etc
If only Rogue racing had an article!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I put a new rear tire on this spring. Pirelli Diablo Rosso III to match the front since it had enough life left in it for a few more months.
I have around 1k miles on the new tire and on a ride this weekend I lost traction at moderate lean twice in the rear while cornering.
The first time, only maybe 5 minutes into the ride, was in an intersection where they have some stupid cobblestone walkway crap across the road so I chalked it up to that and the fact the tire could have been a little cold still.
2nd time, same ride maybe 40 minutes later with a plenty warm tire while getting on a freeway entrance ramp where there was newly layed (a few weeks ago) grooved cement. I again chalked it up to the condition of the road.
Now after thinking on the two instances it has me a little concerned. Lack of confidence in your tires is bad and could likely put me in a bad situation. I had been running 31psi in the rear but did bump it up to 32psi prior to that ride.
I have never experienced that much slide in the rear and has me at a little loss of confidence at this point. Not like I was pushing it hard or even close to full lean

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Curious why not many have gone with the Pirelli Diablo Rosso III

I'm on my second rear tire (got 5500-6000 miles out of the first one and changed it out before it hit the wear marks. Probably had another 1k or so left) and still on the first front (7500 miles and still has plenty left).

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
Perelli’s are super popular tires and I’m sure used by many people here.

if you’re getting that much mileage out of a set they’re probably more of a comparison with the Mitch power 5, not the Mich RS’s in the other thread.

perhaps someone here has used your Perelli‘s as well as the Mitch Power 5, and we can hear a comparison.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have run the Diablo Rossa IIIs on several bikes, including my 1199 Panigale. I have never had one slide on me. On my Panigale I had been running nothing but OEM SuperCorsas For the first 23,000 miles. When I switched to the Diablo Rossa IIIs I literally could not tell any difference.

I got a screw in my rear rire on my new CBR this morning - at 1070 miles. Im planning to order a set of Diablo Rossa IIIs for it tomorrow or Tuesday

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have run the Diablo Rossa IIIs on several bikes, including my 1199 Panigale. I have never had one slide on me. On my Panigale I had been running nothing but OEM SuperCorsas For the first 23,000 miles. When I switched to the Diablo Rossa IIIs I literally could not tell any difference.

I got a screw in my rear rire on my new CBR this morning - at 1070 miles. Im planning to order a set of Diablo Rossa IIIs for it tomorrow or Tuesday
What kinda mileage are you getting out of them?
I'm due for a new set of tires soon and although I have no complaints with the Pirelli DR3 I was considering trying something different this go round

·
Registered
90 Posts
You are going to think I’m some sort of pussy, but I got 8,000 miles out of the rear DRIII on the Panigale. The fronts looked like they could go another 4,000 miles, and they are not even dual compound. I was getting 4,000 on the SuperCorsas. Don’t forget that I ride 50 miles to and from my closest curves.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts

This should take care of the lack of traction you've been experiencing.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You are going to think I’m some sort of pussy, but I got 8,000 miles out of the rear DRIII on the Panigale. The fronts looked like they could go another 4,000 miles, and they are not even dual compound. I was getting 4,000 on the SuperCorsas. Don’t forget that I ride 50 miles to and from my closest curves.
No that's about the mileage I'm seeing but I only ride on the streets in the city so no twisties nor track days. I also ran 28psi on the rear the entire life of the tire. Currently running 32 psi on the new rear tire.
Here is the new tire, 32 psi city riding, with 2600 miles on it this season.
15963952279508907832977768320545.jpg

And the front with almost 8k miles on it. 34psi
15963953830104241008960201331471.jpg

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I really don't have any complaints with these tires, just thought of trying something different.
They even wear well. Although they start to flatten out from lots of street straight line riding they still turn in well even they have little life left.
I was thinking of trying the Road 5's this time around just a little hesitant to leave the DR3's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts