Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Captain Awesome
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok sorry guys if this is a repost, but i first started wheelies by power ups, was much easier for me to learn. I even tought others how to achieve the power wheelie, i only just recently learned how to clutch up in 1st gear, i cant get the wheel very high in 2nd gear. I am no "Stunter" by any means. But i like to learn things and i must admit being on one wheel is fun a shit, scary as hell the first time lol. I am not great at it yet but someday maybe.

The point is, i have been told that clutch ups can potentially damage the bike, as far as motor and clutch and so on and so forth. My question here is, is this in deed a fact or just a myth? I know guys that all they do is clutch ups, and i know others that just do power ups, which one is better? I really dont ride the wheelie's yet i just pop em up and go for a few feet, then bring it down.

Thanks Guys. I have seen some sick stunters.

BTW before any of you "track guys" flame me, when i at least practice my stunting i do it on a back road my house where there is no traffic.

·
Jackalo626
467 Posts
Check out a site called stuntlife . com it will have all the info you need and plenty of videos to watch to see how it works while actually givng you a visual instead of reading how. I think it will help you a lot but go slow at learning and be careful.

·
Registered
575 Posts
stuntlife does have ton of info for, well, stunting. You could also get a hold of Ryan S. on here. I'm sure he knows a thing or two about wheelies. Just some fyi, this is him...

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
i've clutched wheelies on the same bike for the past 2 years, i can't even tell you how many times i pop the clutch in ONE practice sesson...maybe 50-75 times?? i've NEVER blown a clutch out and clutching a wheelie up gives you more control because it comes up the same, every time, powering a wheelie up is how you get guys that wheelie over, once you understand your clutch and how it works, you can wheelie any bike with a clutch.

·
Captain Awesome
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You very much guys. I honestly prefer the clutch up, because i feel that its a bit easier to control.

·
Registered
575 Posts
BTW, I hope you dont mind me just throwing your name out there Ryan. I just figured your the best person to get a hold of for this type of question.

·
Stunt Member
706 Posts
i've clutched wheelies on the same bike for the past 2 years, i can't even tell you how many times i pop the clutch in ONE practice sesson...maybe 50-75 times?? i've NEVER blown a clutch out and clutching a wheelie up gives you more control because it comes up the same, every time, powering a wheelie up is how you get guys that wheelie over, once you understand your clutch and how it works, you can wheelie any bike with a clutch.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Really? Cause on my old R6 I fvcked my clutch from clutch wheelies.... but that was about 30,000km's later :D

·
ambitions as a ridah
137 Posts
i just learned clutch ups. way easier and safer to pop up. sometimes depending how high your RPMS are and what gear your in if you try and power it up it can come up alot faster than you think and go over backwards..... which suckss

·
Huge Member
3,549 Posts
i bought a CR500 and made a street "legal" supermoto out of it.
i then re-learned how to wheelie... and more accurately, recover from a wheelie going bad... and fast.

now it no longer matters, i both clutch and throttle it.. and when you fuckup and accidentally come up too fast (usually with a power wheelie btw) i think riding that damn sumo saved my ass.... because no matter how fast the CBR comes up, its nowhere near as fast as that 5-hunny was.

i clutch it in every gear, but i generally only power wheelie it in first or second... 3rd gear power wheelies are so aggressive that its just easier and smoother to just clutch it.

i look at it this way:

powerwheelie: comes up slow, but by the time your balanced, you're going fucking fast.
clutch wheelie: comes up quick, but by the time your balanced you're going much slower.

so on an open interstate, i might powerwheelie it... but at a more... urban area, i always clutch it... that way instead of doing 100+ on the rear tire, im going a much more reasonable speed....on the rear tire.

·
ImFastRR
21,049 Posts
I clutched my R1 up in powering into 4th gear by accident!

haven't had the "oh shit" sensation on the CBR yet thank god. . . .

wasn't a 2inches off the ground it was like 2 feet in a tuck. . . good times

1 - 13 of 13 Posts