Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that Yamaha was halting the sales of the R1 due to motors blowing up. The dealer near me sold two and BOTH blew. One was a friend of my buddys and he was even breaking it in easy. Anyone hear this?

·
Serial Killer
2,058 Posts
I read a thread on another site where a new R1 owner had his engine blow up on him. Didn't even complete break in, so Yamaha and the dealer were trying to say the bike was run too hard during break in. What the PROBLEM is, them Yamamaha boy's are givin them RNone's all they can just to try and hang with the 1000RR!!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
More news from the Rumour Department...

I don't remember where I heard this (it must have been the inevitable "they") but apparently if you run the ZX-10R to redline in 2nd you'll destroy your gearbox... anyone else heard anything about this?

Cheers - Demosthenes

·
Registered
425 Posts
there was a long thread at the R1 forum, one guy did have his R1 blow up. There was a second guy that thought his blew up as well but I missed the outcome on that one. I would not jump to conclusions on one engine. It's pretty easy for something to have gotten in there or whatever. I just read on 600rr.net that a guy with 5,000 miles on his 600rr had the engine blow as well. It would be nice to have them all blow up (R1, ZX10, Gixxer1k) then there would be no more arguments :) of course I'm kidding on that one.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I read that yamaha posted a bulletin to all the dealers that they are requiredto due a soft break in first b4 the customer takes delivery. i think the dealer has to put the fisrt 50 miles on it or something

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: More news from the Rumour Department...

Demosthenes said:
I don't remember where I heard this (it must have been the inevitable "they") but apparently if you run the ZX-10R to redline in 2nd you'll destroy your gearbox... anyone else heard anything about this?

Cheers - Demosthenes
i frequent several ZX-10 boards, and everyone i know on there has taken theirs to redline in every gear. not a single one has had any problem with the tranny, or clutch. the only problems they are having are a couple bent rims from misuse.

i have heard of 7 R1 motors blowing up now, from R1 forums, and from my riding buddies here in Houston.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Re: More news from the Rumour Department...

SecretAgentRR said:
Demosthenes said:

Cheers - Demosthenes
i frequent several ZX-10 boards, and everyone i know on there has taken theirs to redline in every gear. not a single one has had any problem with the tranny, or clutch. the only problems they are having are a couple bent rims from misuse.

i have heard of 7 R1 motors blowing up now, from R1 forums, and from my riding buddies here in Houston.
:lol: the sarcasm seemed to have went over your head.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree I took that literally since on some sites people seem to come out with these ridiculous unsubstantiated rumors. I was just about to post the same thing about my 10R since I've already had it to the track and had no ill effects regarding anything.

As far as it not happening to Honda's well I was one of the guys over on the 600rr site that has had his rad blow. My RC51 had a bearing seize with 2,000 kms on it, requiring a top end rebuild. So I'm not one for toting the Honda reliability flag. My 600rr/RC51 suffered no ill effects and fortunately they weren't at a trackday, but I've had less problems with other makes. That has been my experience, I'm sure yours may differ. The nice thing is that all of these bikes have warranties and the manufacturers will back them up.

A word to the wise. Hopefully you won't have any issues with your bikes but if you do, on track or off, don't mention it to the shop. The mechanic that dealt with my 600rr said that even though it occured on the street and had been serviced since its last trackday by a Honda mechanic, Honda might argue that I should not have taken the bike on track and that was what caused the failure. I said, but it's a track tool, that's how they advertise it. It's not a VFR. He said that Honda could and possibly would argue that my trackday abuse was the cause of the failure. Personally they would be giving me too much credit, I'm neither that fast or that abusive of a bike. I wouldn't doubt that the other manufacturers have a similar stanceregarding warranty issues of occasionaly trackday bikes.

Another factor in these potential engine failures could be the riders themselves. It's when people go crazy on their bikes before breaking them in properly that causes some issues. For example, there's a guy in my town who just picked up his R1, put a set of slip-ons on (Devil's, and the end can welds look like crap for those that care). anyway he's one of these stunt guy wannabes and he was redlining it in the parking lot of a local bike hangout. I was curious how many miles/kms were on it. 187 kms. I feel a big bang coming on. He's already talking about moding the styling since it doesn't suit him. Of course my question was why buy it then. If you remember the original R1 had a lengthy break-in period which many ignored and there were resultant reliability issues. My ZX10R had a lengthy breakin period which was easy to adhere to. The amount of power these bikes are putting out should make it easy to have soem fun while adhering to some semblance of the speed limit.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Motozen, what is your opinion of the build quality between your 600rr and your ZX10? I have my own opinions of that but would like to hear yours. I was surprised at what a difference in quality between the 600rr and the 1000rr. You can tell they just use better parts to build the 1000rr, but that is also true with all the manufacturers when comparing 600's to 1000's.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a friend with a 04 ZX10 and he's had a couple problems with it already, first his FI light stayed on all the time and drained his battery back to the shop it went to get fixed and then on the way home from the shop we got caught in the rain and his oil light came on. Check the oil and it was fine come to find out there is a short in a wire that makes the oil light come on whens its wet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
no problems to report so far. I'd say that the one thing with the 10R that you notice immediately is that it is so airy like the original cbr900, that it allows more water into the bike. I had some collect in the oil trap the oil trap. it drains eventually but it really doesn't pose a problem. That's probably why your friends bikes short was a factor.

As far as build quality I'd say Kawasaki has really raised their game to compete with Honda and Yamaha. They made a big jump with their 600r/rr and have learned from that model to raise the bar again. Personally I've never had a problem with Kawasaki's, having owned 4 from different eras. I'm not a fair weather rider and I usually rack up around 20,000 kms in a season up here in the great white north. Rust and any sort of corrosion has never been a factor for me on any of my bikes. As far as fairing fitment I'd give the nod to the 10R simply because it's fairing doesn't require as much panel placement as my 600rr. when I blew the rad it took me over an hour to get everything off without cracking or breaking anything. Also I noticed that the rubber grommets they used to bolt on the fairing had melted from being too near the exhaust and motor. This prompted me to switch to quick release fasteners. The one big thing you notice with the Honda is that due to the mass centralization design focus the bike is harder to access. The lower fairing that some people have complained about on the 1000rr, I feel is a bonus for you guys. It should be easier to access the lower portions of the motor than the 600rr. I'd say the big difference between them will be access to the bikes internals. For those that do trackdays you will appreciate this sentiment. The Zx10R is so easy to access where my 600rr isn't. I think the 1000rr will be easier than the 600rr but still not as accessible as the 10R.

Looking at the two bikes, and the 1000rr, there really is nothing to complain about between them. I like them both for different reasons. I like the tech side of the 1000rr but it just didn't do it for me aesthetically. And that's what it really boiled down to for me. Not these performance figures, dyno numbers or power/weight ratios that won't be a factor at any Canadian racetracks I visit this year. and most definitely not the journos unless they stated to buy the one you liked. I regularly go to Shannonville raceway and I can just barely hit 140-150 mph so these 170-186 mph top speeds mean nothing to me. For me the only negative on the 1000rr would be that it was too much like my 600rr, here comes the hate mail :wink: and therefore held no real appeal for me to upgrade. Besides it's kind of boring owning the same companies bikes don't you think?

·
Registered
43 Posts
yeah, i agree about the quality of kawasaki, my gf has a 1990 kawi zephyr zr550 and has had zero problems with it. it runs and rides perfect. it's not a fast bike by any means, but it will handle 200-300mile days no problem. it just clicked over 13k.

the 1000rr doesn't really have any of the accessibility issues the 600rr does, no rear brake resevior under the undertail, and an accessible tool kit, that doesn't take tools to get to. there is also far less plastic on the 1000rr. especially in the upper fairing. the 600rr is a total bitch to work on, we stripped down my buddies to get ready for his arch angel CF kit and it took us a good 2 hours to get everything off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.