Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be very careful of the tail light connector, is finger in an asshole tight. Pulling the rear cowl on and off can be a real PITA because of the 2 screws to the tail light, you have to line them up to two grommets mounted on the bike. I spent some considerable time jacking with this tonight :evil:

To take off the rear reflectors you need to pull the rear cowl.

Also if you decide to pull the pillion pegs, you are going to lose the black plastic guard, but it looks better without it anyway.

I rigged up a quick disconnect for my battery tender, ran it through to the tail.

For the front reflectors, you just have to loosen both bolts to the fender. I am going to order 2 grommets (the ones below that have metal between) as soon as someone has a microfiche available. The front reflectors have a metal grommet that you'll lose when you pull them.
That is it so far, won't be working on anything else for right now.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Removed the front reflectors the first day. I just put the bolts back in without the sleeves - will order something when I get a chance.

Removed the tailsection yesterday - it wasn't that difficult. I removed the rear reflectors, and the entire mudflap. Left the stock turn signals (their mounts are still there after removing the flap), and mounted the plate to where the license plaste light would normally mount. Pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I havn't screwed with the reflectors on this bike yet, but I remember the people who didn't re-use the grommet on the front reflectors and just put the bolts back in on the 929, ended up having the mounting points spiderweb crack on them. Some people complained it went clean through, and they had to remove the front fender.

Not sure if it's similar on this one, but you may want to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just curious, after you removed your mud flap, where do you mount your plate? just curious, my friend took what was left of it , and mounted it to his rear tire hugger, used the mounts...it looks alright...not too bad...just curious if there is a cleaner way to do this....

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Sorry guys, FNG 1000RR owner. What has to be done to remove the rear reflectors ? Have to pull rear cowl ? What a pita. The Bungee hooks stay in place or dump them too ? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Removed the front reflectors, took a hacksaw and cut the reflector mounts off, then put it on a grinder and ground it down till just the bushings were left and used that. I was afraid the front fender would crack without them.
I had to remove the front and rear seat to take the tail section off, then i had full access to the rear reflectors and tail section. Not too difficult. I remember two bolts under the rear corner sections of the front seat, then two bolts for the tail cowl under the rear seat (front two bolts). There might have been a bolt or two on each side of the tail section near the reflectors.

mez

·
Banned
10,128 Posts
MRB, ron ayers has the fishe.

tail was a smalll pain IMO, love the two bolts for the tail light, ggrr!

as far as the plate goes, there is a place right bt the trunk key under the tail. There is a 90 degree cut out in the plastic made for the one corner of the plate. I will make a small bracket for the right side of the plate by the brake res. I just got these small LED's that i am attaching to the plate for the plate light, real tight if you ask me.

·
Banned
10,128 Posts
as far as the blinkers goes i used these little square sticky things that you can use zip ties with, found them at radio shack. I cut the OEM leads as long as possible and just took my time. I have yet to hook up a plate light yet or make a bracket for the right side of the plate :evil: i might look today for different plate light, maybe a flexible little spot thingy.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
mrb said:
Be very careful of the tail light connector, is finger in an asshole tight. Pulling the rear cowl on and off can be a real PITA because of the 2 screws to the tail light, you have to line them up to two grommets mounted on the bike. I spent some considerable time jacking with this tonight :evil:

To take off the rear reflectors you need to pull the rear cowl.

Also if you decide to pull the pillion pegs, you are going to lose the black plastic guard, but it looks better without it anyway.

I rigged up a quick disconnect for my battery tender, ran it through to the tail.

For the front reflectors, you just have to loosen both bolts to the fender. I am going to order 2 grommets (the ones below that have metal between) as soon as someone has a microfiche available. The front reflectors have a metal grommet that you'll lose when you pull them.
That is it so far, won't be working on anything else for right now.
It's done, reflectors and pass pegs gone. Looks cool. Good tip on the front reflectors and cutting off the do-dads. You lost me on the rear cowl removal. I just removed the 4 bolts on top and lifted up cowl just enough to get to the reflector bolts. I saw the rear two "pimples" by the light and just amde sure they lined back up ? Did I miss something here ???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.