Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of anyway to use a cell phone with a helmet on? Kind of like a "hand free system" for a car. The job that I have requires me to be on call a lot of the time, and sometimes I have to answer phone calls from law enforcement agencies. This is seriously cutting into my riding time. If I could figure our a way to do this I would be happy. I have tried to use one of the ear bud speakers with the microphone a couple of inches down the cord and I can get the microphone to work fine, but the earpiece is a pain to get in place and then hurts when it is in place.

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is quite possibly the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard of.... not insulting you personally, but come on... it's bad enough that we have people talking on cell phones while they drive. And riding a bike requires a lot more attention and care. Making it "hands-free" doesn't make it "danger-free".

I would expect this type of question on a GoldWing or BMW forum, or some other touring-I-need-more-gadgets-on-my-bike forum. Don't get me wrong... I've got a radar detector on my bike, so I'm not claiming to be totally sport-bike pure. But the concept of talking on your cell phone while riding your bike is really dumm dee dumm dumm dumm.
If you receive a call, let it ring. That's what voice mail is for. If you need to make a call, wait until you stop and get off. If you are getting/making so many phone calls that it interferes with your riding, you need to rearrange your schedule and/or lifestyle.

·
Registered
425 Posts
maybe just set it up so you can hear or feel it ring and give yourself enough time to pull over and talk. Even if you set up a mic I think it would be to loud to talk wouldn't it? just set it up the same and then pull over and your set with the mic and ear piece. highway traveling could be a problem though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
heth said:
This is quite possibly the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard of.... not insulting you personally, but come on... it's bad enough that we have people talking on cell phones while they drive. And riding a bike requires a lot more attention and care. Making it "hands-free" doesn't make it "danger-free".

I would expect this type of question on a GoldWing or BMW forum, or some other touring-I-need-more-gadgets-on-my-bike forum. Don't get me wrong... I've got a radar detector on my bike, so I'm not claiming to be totally sport-bike pure. But the concept of talking on your cell phone while riding your bike is really dumm dee dumm dumm dumm.
If you receive a call, let it ring. That's what voice mail is for. If you need to make a call, wait until you stop and get off. If you are getting/making so many phone calls that it interferes with your riding, you need to rearrange your schedule and/or lifestyle.
Ditto..

·
Registered
57 Posts
ok...i can see where you guys are coming from on this issue--people talkin on cell phones and driving is sometimes dangerous depending on the airhead thats talkin..some people do it very well, and it does not affect their driving--hell, some people are just SHI**Y drivers to begin with...but lets not forget one thing..i'm willing to bet that some of us, maybe even most of us have chatterboxes or some kind of device as such.This to me is the same thing as a cell phone.So what if its a radio, u still talk on it! when i'm carvin out some granite i dont answer it, sometimes i turn it off all together. but for simple riding from A to B i think the cell phone thing is do-able.I love my chatterbox, it's great for group rides and getting back into a group if you have to slow up for a minute..go easy on him guys, and me too for that matter!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks voodoo, I'm not trying to be on a phone blasting around some twisty canyons. I can't even ride my new bike to the Sonic to hang out because I can not answer my phone. I don't have to have an in depth conversation, I just have to get an address and that is it. You people act like I'm suzie teenager with the damn thing becoming part of my head. You guys should realize that you are not the common sense police, I'm not wanting to start any sh.t but come on it was just a small question. I most of the people around this forum must no just commute on their bike or have jobs and just get to ride all of the time.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'd have to say that having a cell phone setup on a bike to talk while riding is the 2nd stupidest thing I've ever heard, regardless of the circumstances
Just yesterday we had an accident that almost killed the driver, a state trooper and 2 animal control officers because the guy was on his cell phone, not paying attention.

·
Registered
604 Posts
vigis said:
I'd have to say that having a cell phone setup on a bike to talk while riding is the 2nd stupidest thing I've ever heard, regardless of the circumstances
Just yesterday we had an accident that almost killed the driver, a state trooper and 2 animal control officers because the guy was on his cell phone, not paying attention.

what's the most stupid thing you have ever heard of???

·
Registered
15 Posts
I saw some research out of the US a few months ago... the report said that someone talking on a cell phone while they're driving is as impaired as someone who would blow 0.08 DUI...

Having said that... I would ride away from anybody who I thought was using a cell phone while they were riding. You can't be that important.

Cheers - Demosthenes

·
Registered
526 Posts
quick said:
vigis, what is the difference between what I want and a chatterbox?
Will note that I do not use a radio on my bike either.

·
Registered
526 Posts
heth said:
vigis said:

what's the most stupid thing you have ever heard of???
Have a friend who is hell bent on getting a ZX-10R, against all of his friend's and families opinions.
He had an older 600 that he abused and crashed and had more serious close calls than everyone I know put together.
After the crash his ignition lock wouldnt work and the bike was stolen, only liability insurance. Hes now been sans bike for longer than he had one and was never a good rider in the first place.
Hes one of those that always has to have the better thing than everyone else and this time its going to kill him becuase he has neither the experience nor the temperment to handle a liter bike let alone that one.

·
I'm slower then you
1,394 Posts
Yep, thats stupid :D

By the way, I use a Chatterbox to talk to my wife when we ride. But I wouldn't want to do business while riding, I get enough stress from work and ride stupid from it (how far and in how short of a time can I get from here!).

·
Registered
538 Posts
I agree. I don't think talking on a cell phone is the smartest thing. Usually when I'm on the phone and it's work related I get really stressed out......That's the whole reason I ride. To just forget about SH*T for awhile and enjoy the open road.....Just my .02 :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.