Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

My honda makes weird sounds, its a CBR1000RR from 08. I changed the cam chain and the CCT to a manual. Sounds still there.

I have my suspicions to what it could be, but would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds kind of like an exhaust leak.
Thanks for your reply! The sound does come from the engine itself, i suspect a fauly bearing. The valves are ok, the cam chain and guides are replaced, the CCT is changed for a manual one.

Could exhaust leaks create a knocking sound in the engine?

Thankfull for all replies and thoughts, always good to be open minded and consider several causes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
An exhaust leak could sound like a knock in the engine. For example watch @ 5:10 in below video. Sounds pretty bad right? These guys tore this whole engine apart and put it back together only to find that the sound was an exhaust leak. I don't know that you have an exhaust leak but it's best to check the simple things first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An exhaust leak could sound like a knock in the engine. For example watch @ 5:10 in below video. Sounds pretty bad right? These guys tore this whole engine apart and put it back together only to find that the sound was an exhaust leak. I don't know that you have an exhaust leak but it's best to check the simple things first.
wow! i did not know that! Crazy it can make that kind of a sound just from an exhaust leak...

In my case its really a metallic sound that kinda dissapears when revving up due to the sound of the exhaust. i actually put my ear against the engine casing (around the clutch and alternator) to listen and its definately in there, in the lower part of the engine.

Now it could be any of the bearings, but when opening it im gonna replace all bearings in that case. Took the top of yesterday, will continue today with the rest. Order OEM stuff from MotorcyclepartsEU and hopefully i can put it back together next weekend. I dont know what ill do if i do figure out it was an exhaust leak 😃🤣

I will keep you guys posted here, could drop some photos of the engine here if you’d like

·
Registered
487 Posts
Definitely drop some photos while you are at it. I'm interested to see what you find. Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The engine really sounds like a rattling tractor, perhaps not THAT obvious on video, but IRL its very much noticable.

Anyways, taking apart the engine and rebuilding from scratch. Great to have a renovated engine after 😃
Alright, now the engine is in pieces, adding a photo. Gonna order all of the bearings in the while crankcase and replace them.

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,378 Posts
Did you find any damaged parts?

·
Registered
322 Posts
are you aware of the crankshaft recall for your bike?
Does the rattle sound change when you pull the clutch?
Or when you engage a gear?
Or with the bike on rear stand when running in first gear?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi mate,

thanks for ur response.

I am aware of that and i sincerely hope its not the crank. Although the crank could sound in the case it would be one of the recall cranksC its no problem. Just sounds bad, but doesnt cause damage thats why honda didnt make it a compulsory recall only when ppl complained about the sound.

Im not gonna change the crank, just changed all bearings and at least now i know the engine is totally fine. With out without the rattling sound.

By the wat the crank issue usually arose around 10-30.000km this bike has done 47.000 (at least, perhaps some ”unmeasured” kms as well...)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By the way, have u seen this thread:

I have tjis punchmark on the clutch lifter:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok i rebuilt the engine, but the sound is still there.
I have a punchmark on the clutch lifter which should mean the crank has been changed, also heard there was a problwm with the clutch basket in these bikes. Any info?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check the clutch pack for any busted tabs or suspious marks. The issues is that the clutch basket explodes inside the case and blows out the cover and oil gets sprayed on ur tire and ur in trouble. Happens more when ur street racing or drag racing tho. Ur sound might be a busted tab ring rattling around the case. You tube your bike and year. You can see pictures of the explosion. There really is no specific reason why it happens. Some with brand new clutch packs. Some with older miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Check the clutch pack for any busted tabs or suspious marks. The issues is that the clutch basket explodes inside the case and blows out the cover and oil gets sprayed on ur tire and ur in trouble. Happens more when ur street racing or drag racing tho. Ur sound might be a busted tab ring rattling around the case. You tube your bike and year. You can see pictures of the explosion. There really is no specific reason why it happens. Some with brand new clutch packs. Some with older miles.
i just rebuilt the whole engine with new bearings all over and it still rattles. The clutch basket looked ok. The bike hasnt ran anything after the rebuilt. Maybe it needs to ”run in” a while...?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts