Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got to run a zx10 on a 3rd gear roll on today, my friend finally broke in his zx10, so we decided to compare the 2 for the first time. the results were surprizing to me. i thought with all the zx10 horsepower hype, he would walk me from the start. mind you i have a jardine slip on and one tooth up in the rear, the kawi is stock. we started in 3rd gear at around 65mph, from the start my rr jumped out ahead for about a good bike and a half lead, thru fourth, still kept the distance, hit 5th gear and still no zx10, by chance i hit the rev limiter in 5th,brain freeze or something, and got passed, after the screw up, i shut down. on the 2nd run, same story, but in 6th gear, the zx10 pulled past and for about a good 2bike length, i ran out of gearing at what i remember approx 184mph on speedo, but as we all know its inaccurate at this speed. i was happy with the performance, but wonder if the added tooth helped with mid range that much?has anyone else topped out their machine and what was the measured top speed on the speedo, will bring a gps on the next run.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Considering how close in performance the 2 bikes are that extra tooth in the rear likely made all the difference. Doesnt suprise me that he passed you up towards the end. Torque gets you going, horsepower keeps you going thus when the air resistance kicks in the difference in HP shows up. I think the RR has a bigger cross-section as well; more air resistance.
Keep in mind that until you disable whatever the limiter is, all of the bikes about 02+ are limited to 186mph (300kph)max due to a gentlemans' agreement. If you check the top speed in the magazines you'll find that all the bikes top out at 186mph give or take a few.

Anyone with the power commander top out their bike yet? Curious how they ran the limiter.

·
Registered
502 Posts
well vigis, i think your explanation is partly right.. the 1 tooth up in the rear will account for a lot of the high end 6th gear power on the honda.. thats what you do when you change gearing, the powerband is shifted. i'm sure stock gearing vs stock gearing the bikes would be so even that it would solely depend on the rider...and thats how it usually is for a lot of things.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vigis said:
Considering how close in performance the 2 bikes are that extra tooth in the rear likely made all the difference. Doesnt suprise me that he passed you up towards the end. Torque gets you going, horsepower keeps you going thus when the air resistance kicks in the difference in HP shows up. I think the RR has a bigger cross-section as well; more air resistance.
Keep in mind that until you disable whatever the limiter is, all of the bikes about 02+ are limited to 186mph (300kph)max due to a gentlemans' agreement. If you check the top speed in the magazines you'll find that all the bikes top out at 186mph give or take a few.

Anyone with the power commander top out their bike yet? Curious how they ran the limiter.
im just happy that as according to certain magazine testing, the rr ran as good as it did, as they say the cbr is boring and not as fast as the other liter bikes.i think our rr's have a great motor, and probably capable of more hp gains with other engine parts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Boring??? Let me ask you this....how can a 150HP bike be boring. Looks like your bike is on the way and I can tell you right now it is anything but boring. The mags don't know WTF they are talking about and the context they are using is race tracks and dragstrips. How the magazines can claim that a bike is the "winner" of a shootout because it gets around a track faster or is .01 tenth quicker in the 1/4 mile is not representative of how 99% of these bikes will be ridden. And who gives a s*&^ if you aren't racing anyway. This bike rocks so I hope you get yours soon, swing a leg over it and tell us how "boring" it is. :wink:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Is the limit the same as the suzuki's? Suzuki does it of the gear postion sensor. I hope this is how honda does it to ;as long as the ign. timing and fuel maps are the same in 5th and 6th gear. I'll make the trip to radio shack spend 50 cents and get rid of the limiting factor. Doe anyone have info on the maps for each gear? or where you can find it? Or can you eliminate the limiter with the powercommander?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I totally agree with the RR not being boring. I have never ridden a better bike.

As for the limiter...
There are, 100% certain, limiters on all the sportbikes. In fact one of the US magazines (think it was sportrider) took 3-4 bikes out, found the stock top speed, then changed or disconnected a few choice parts and all of a sudden the bikes were speeding past 186mph with ease. Those choice parts had nothing to do with adding horsepower or changing gearing either.
One of the bikes was a Busa, if I remember correctly. Compaired to the previous years bike, the one they tested had a top speed something like 15mph slower.
Even my buddies R1 has one. 175mph and theres a distinct limit. Pulls hard right up until 175mph, then it throttles back to 174. Still have alot of RPMs before redline. Thats been with and without a tail wind, flat ground, downhill. Doesnt make a difference.

All of the major motorcycle makers, save triumph, have a gentlemans agreement to limit the top speed. This is to forstall government action on our bad-ass bikes being to bad-ass. Wanna be like France and have a 100hp limit on your bike?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yama1yzf said:
Boring??? Let me ask you this....how can a 150HP bike be boring. Looks like your bike is on the way and I can tell you right now it is anything but boring. The mags don't know WTF they are talking about and the context they are using is race tracks and dragstrips. How the magazines can claim that a bike is the "winner" of a shootout because it gets around a track faster or is .01 tenth quicker in the 1/4 mile is not representative of how 99% of these bikes will be ridden. And who gives a s*&^ if you aren't racing anyway. This bike rocks so I hope you get yours soon, swing a leg over it and tell us how "boring" it is. :wink:
sorry for the misunderstanding, let me correct this by first saying that i know the rr is not boring, just quoting some of the magazine reviews, dont know how they say its not an exciting liter bike.but also ,forgive me for not updating my profile, i have my rr and love it, so much in fact i am the starter of this thread due to my run in with the zx10 and very satisfied with the way it performed against the all powerfull engine of the kawi. im on your side yama1yzf, the rr is a awesome motorcycle. i believe that the rev limiter came on at approx 12,500rpm, this is a normal feature of all sport bikes, for safety of overrevving the engines, i work as a tech for bmw and all our cars including the m3 and m5 have rev limiters to govern top speed and safety of the engines, except for the occasional mis shift and floating the valves, nothing can protect the engine from that

·
Registered
526 Posts
cbr1k said:
i believe that the rev limiter came on at approx 12,500rpm, this is a normal feature of all sport bikes, for safety of overrevving the engines, i work as a tech for bmw and all our cars including the m3 and m5 have rev limiters to govern top speed and safety of the engines, except for the occasional mis shift and floating the valves, nothing can protect the engine from that
Just as a nit-picky bit; the limiter I and Joker45 are talking about is not the normal redline rev limiter but a top speed limiter.
I think its great that the RR did well even though its not exactly designed for straight line but more for cornering. But I've heard elsewhere on this forum that the RR runs deep into the 9's lowered but stock. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with most of what is said here. Ignore the mags, especially those squidy type ones. These bikes all rock and I can't imagine anything over 130hp being boring. I find it weird that they say how much of a radical beast the GSXR750 is yet call the CBR boring. It's all in how the thrills are delivered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.