Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last bike was a 929 with pretty weak rear brakes.
However, the 2004 blade has much stronger rear stoppers.

I discovered this the other day when I went past a cop car. I instinctively jumped on the rear brakes (the fronts give a tell tale dive) and i actually locked the rear tyre ! OMG.

I tried to be discreet, but in fact attracted attention :roll: - did a little skid and tail waggle just as the cop passed by - bugga!

I am thinking that the rear brakes are way more sensitive than the 929. The rotor size looks a little bigger maybe ?????

Anyone else find this? Dunno how it compares to the 954's.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Nope......my brakes are designed to let me slip right by the cops....LOL!!! :) Just kidding.....I do find them a bit grabbier...is that even a word? As for the tell tale sign by using your front binders, which is true...if a cop his radar on you already and you hit any brake, the radar has an audible tone that changes with the SLIGHTEST change in your speed. So even if he doesn't see any sudden change, that tone will instantly drop with your speed....gives you away anyway....I used to be a Military policeman....lol!!! Now, with the speeds I travel..I'm just a hypocrite! :)

·
I'm slower then you
1,394 Posts
You should try to use the rear brake on a Buell, I think the disc is there just for looks :roll: In fairness, the front brake is at least good though (the RR is far better though).

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I don't think I've noticed a difference from the 929. I locked the rear up and hopped by a cop on the 929 once (Sounds like a very similar situation), so I know it was possible on that bike too. Manufacturers intentionally make rear brakes pretty weak, to try and combat people dumping the bike by stomping on the brake just like we did.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sidewalk said:
You should try to use the rear brake on a Buell, I think the disc is there just for looks :roll: In fairness, the front brake is at least good though (the RR is far better though).
Something good on a Buell????????????????
:twak:

·
I'm slower then you
1,394 Posts
vigis said:
Sidewalk said:
Something good on a Buell????????????????
:twak:
Good, but far from being anything like a UJM.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've locked up the rear tire a few times intentionally just for kicks. No real problems, especially going down hill when the weight is even more so on the front. back end just wiggles around a bit. I like to know how my bike will perform in certain situations so I get a good feeling for the stopping power ahead of time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Two things I noticed are that I have locked the rear wheel three times (non-intentionally) and this thing IS deceptively fast. Two out of those three times I could have bought the farm. I have been riding 20+ yrs and I have never been so deceived by how fast I was going like on this. It's kind of scary. :shock:

·
Registered
425 Posts
yeah it's fast alright. On the way up to the Races this weekend I decided to open her up a bit. The speedo said 163 and I was bumping into the Limiter but i was only in 4th gear! I did 150 on my 600rr and by comparison I felt like i was doing about 120 on the 1000rr because it was so effortless and smooth. I'm going to have to see what this thing will do in 6th gear, I just ran out of straight road. I was probably only doing 150-155 actual speed do to speedo error though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.