Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
TyndallCBR
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved a letter in the mail today from American Honda Motor Co. It talks about a possible problem with the speedometer. The letter wants me to be aware of the problem and report it ASAP if it occurs with my bike. It basically says my speedometer could be read 23% lower than actual speed. Included a table to check it myself.

Sean

·
Serial Killer
2,058 Posts
Got mine today too. Now wouldnt THAT be something to tell the judge when he ask's "what the hell were you doing going so danged fast for??" And you reply "Well, yer Honor, Honda gave me a fucked up speedometer, see this here letter?"

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yup Got mine today...Think my speedo is reading okay for now....will double check tomorrow. Hopefully if Honda does do a recall it won't take long to fix.....I don't want to be days or even weeks without my bike..... .. :(

·
Registered
516 Posts
No problems with my speedo so far (got my letter and verified all the speeds at 4k rpm).. but I wonder if there is a recall will all the people affected get new gauge clusters? If that's the case ride the shit out of the bike now, and when you get your new gauge cluster you'll have 0 miles again. ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Got mine yesterday, this is what the letter says for those who haven't gotten it yet:

RE: Inaccurate Speedometer

We're sending you this letter because our records show that you recently purchased a 2004 CBR1000RR. Thank you for buying this new and exciting Honda sportbike.

We have received a few reports that the speedometer on some CBR1000RR's may display an inaccurate mile-per-hour (MPH) reading —- indicating approximately 77% of the actual speed of the motorcycle, or in other words, 23% lower than the true vehicle speed. This can happen at any time and at any mileage. Once the speedometer displays an inaccurate reading, it will continue reading this way and cannot be rest. The odometer and the other meter functions are not affected and will continue to operate normally.

What we are doing:
We are currently investigating the best way to solve this issue. Next week, we plan to send you another letter with more information on our progress towards a solution. In the meantime, we have provided te chart below so you can check if your speedometer is working properly. The chart shows what the approximate speed reading should be at 4,000 rpm in gears 1- 6.

Gear 1 2 3 4 5 6
MPH 29 38 46 53 59 64

Example: If your speedometer reading in 6th gear at 4,000 rpm shows approximately 64 mph, your speedometer IS working properly. However, if your speedometer reading in 6th gear at 4,000 rpm shows approximately 50 mph, your speedometer is NOT working properly — please contact your authorized Honda motorcycle dealer.

We appreciate your support of Honda motorcycles. Thank you for your patience while we determine our repair action.

Sincerely,

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Motorcycle Division
Mine is working fine so far...

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I asked my local Dealer about this issue and he acted is if I was blowing smoke up his A$$ :x Until I printed the letter off of the site and showed it to him---then he was like oh let me check into it for you(some dealers)

·
Registered
157 Posts
got mine today. called the dealer and they said they haven't heard anything from honda yet. don't really matter. its not like i really pay attention to how fast im going anyway.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I just got my kewl RPM / Indicated Speed guage cluster stickers from Honda in the mail today. Just got done putting it on the bike.

I do have to say that I like how proactive Honda seems to be regarding this speedo problem. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.