Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CBR1000RR
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, so about a month ago I installed a motion pro Rev2 throttle on my 07 Blade. It came with motion pro road control grips. Usually I use a grip glue that is like a contact adhesive. But this time I used pro taper grip glue, which if any of you are familiar, is just basically cyanoacrylate super glue. Now, a little over a month, or ~3000 miles, later I noticed a few spots of the motion pro grips wearing through. Especially where my thumb sits. All of the texture is gone and even a little past that. Im not really complaining, all the really soft/sticky grips I’ve ever used were kind of delicate. Im just wondering what would be the best method to remove the old grip from the throttle tube without damaging it. Should I just leave the glue residue and put a new grip over that, or sand the residue down smooth with fine grit sandpaper, or just buy a replacement throttle tube… I’d like to reuse it if I can, but this pro taper glue is all but impervious to solvents.

·
Registered
2007 CBR1000RR
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Acetone dissolves cyanoacrylate adhesives.
that’s crazy because when I was installing the tube I accidentally got some glue inside the tube and even holding a soaked acetone rag on it wouldn’t soften it up. I had to just smooth it out with sandpaper and hope for the best. This was 100% hardware store acetone too

·
Registered
8 Posts
First heat old glue with heat gun or hairdryer. Then scrape off as much as possible with some sort of plastic putty knife or plastic scraper. Re-heat and wipe what's remaining off with acetone on a rag. Acetone should work but if it doesn't move up to brake cleaner on a rag.

·
Registered
111 Posts
First heat old glue with heat gun or hairdryer. Then scrape off as much as possible with some sort of plastic putty knife or plastic scraper. Re-heat and wipe what's remaining off with acetone on a rag. Acetone should work but if it doesn't move up to brake cleaner on a rag.
This. Use heat. It will soften the adhesive and allow the chemical you are using to do its job!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts