Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, I just bought an 08 and layed it down. I dented the tip of my exhaust. so i want to replace the tip, but to replace the tip section of the heat sheild i need to take the whole exhaust off. I'm not the most mechanical person, but i want to do this myself.
Can anyone walk me through this or direct me to somewhere that walks me through it.
I saw threads of the 07 removal, but not 08.
I appreciate any help!
thanks

·
Trackday junkie
559 Posts
do you have a user manual? if you do, then the answer is there
if you dont - is a member here "Deathace" - he has the manual in his signature

·
Registered
274 Posts
+1...but IF it's just the heat shield , you don't need to take the exhaust off, the shield comes off with three 5mm allen head bolts.

Removing the exhaust is easy if you know how to remove the cable for the flapper and loosen the bolt on the main pipe underneath.

·
UncleSamsMisguidedChild
368 Posts
Why do you need to remove the whole exhaust. I dented the same piece and just bought another shield. It is only connected with to screws from what I remember.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true, it is just the heat shield, but there is no way to access those two allen head screws without taking the whole exhaust off. unless you guys have some ideas how i could do it. I've tried all sorts of extensions and manipulations on a tork wrench, but i can't get those screws.

·
Trackday junkie
559 Posts
true, it is just the heat shield, but there is no way to access those two allen head screws without taking the whole exhaust off. unless you guys have some ideas how i could do it. I've tried all sorts of extensions and manipulations on a tork wrench, but i can't get those screws.
torque wrench?:WTF:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, i've tried using a normal allen wrench, and i can't fit it because the swingarm is in the way. what am i doing wrong?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea, i've tried using a normal allen wrench, and i can't fit it because the swingarm is in the way. what am i doing wrong?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
it's easy as pie to take the exhaust off. there's a 12mm bolt on the bottom where it mounts to the collector, then you have to remove the top allen bolt on the rearset. couldn't be much easier. you're going the hard route by trying to remove the shield on the bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Eli, a torque wrench is used for tightening pretty much...(I can't think of a reason to losen with it) You may be using a ratchet... People are suggesting you use the allen key, just use something to cut the allen key down to fit it in the tight spot. (you'll probably want to cut down the short end, not the long end.)

Maybe working on bikes isn't for you, if this sounds completely foreign. (maybe you could find some friends that are a little more comfortable with tools to help you work on your bike.) Good luck

·
UncleSamsMisguidedChild
368 Posts
The reason your swingarm is in the way is because the weight of the bike when it fell closed the gap that is supposed to be there. I just used a bit of muscle and pulled the exhaust away from the swingarm so that I could fit the allen wrench.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmmm.. thanks a lot guys. appreciate the help, i think i'll try pulling the exhaust away from the bike to try to fit the allen key. I'm not sure what you guys mean by cutting down... but, if i don't manage to fit it i'll just take the exhaust off, i want to paint the shield anyway.
Thanks a ton guys!

·
Registered
434 Posts
A cheap allen key/wrench looks like the letter "L". If you go to Harbor Freight or some other cheap tool place you can generally get a set of these that are basically on a key chain ring with various sizes. They are recommending that you buy some of these cheap allen keys/wrenches and cut it so you can use it in the space you have. That really is your best option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh, so i buy an allen wrench and actually saw it down?
thanks man. I'll try that.

·
Trackday junkie
559 Posts
oh, so i buy an allen wrench and actually saw it down?
thanks man. I'll try that.
what you need is pretty much a 1/2" - 1" long piece of allen wrench, so if you have one of those long wrenches just cut an inch out of it and your all-set, and then use an regular wrench or a pair of vise-grips pliers to twist it
:popcorn2:

·
Registered
274 Posts
The reason your swingarm is in the way is because the weight of the bike when it fell closed the gap that is supposed to be there. I just used a bit of muscle and pulled the exhaust away from the swingarm so that I could fit the allen wrench.
Whoa, lol. That gap is tight from the factory!

How's coming along Eli... note: the key you want to cut down is a 5mm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts