Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
excessiveadrenaline.com
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to be replacing my front brake pads and while Im at it Im going to change out the the brake fluid and go with DOT 5. I like how the blue fluid looks and want to change the hose that goes from the reservoir to the master cylinder with clear hose. I found the hose for sale but dont know if I need 6mm, 8mm, or 10mm size. Anyone know what size this is?

·
smokin a Jeffery
4,969 Posts
with dot 5 you have to thoroughtly flush out the dot3/4 fluid. as dot 5 is NOT compatable at all. and dot 5 synthetic requires an entire brake system break down.

ATE super blue is what most are using, as well as i. and its dot4, not dot5.

·
excessiveadrenaline.com
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with dot 5 you have to thoroughtly flush out the dot3/4 fluid. as dot 5 is NOT compatable at all. and dot 5 synthetic requires an entire brake system break down.

Wow good information to know... I thought dot5 was just a higher heat rated fluid, now that I've read some more info its totally different and does not mix at all. Looks like I will probably be going with the super blue then.

·
smokin a Jeffery
4,969 Posts
sorry, its dot 5.1 thats the synthetic fluid. but none the less, no dot 5 or 5.1 is compatable wiht dot 3 or dot 4.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where did you find the clear hose?

I'm upgrading to the super blue after work today, where did you find the blue hose? Can it handle DOT 4 brake fluid specifically? Silicone hoses don't work as they break down in DOT 4 from what I understand.

·
smokin a Jeffery
4,969 Posts
Do you get the superblue at any autoparts store?
i havent been able to. i have a foreign parts store by my work we get parts from that stocks the fluid. i buy 2 cans at a time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I picked up my 2 cans at a car store online. 2 liters for $24. $30 shipped I'm not sure if I'm allowed to list the website here or not, but I would be happy to if the site monitors don't care.

·
Kamikaze
14,397 Posts

What is considered a good flush? Do I run a bottle of DOT 5 through the brake system first to flush out the old stuff entirely or is there a better way of cleaning the internals of the old DOT 4 fluid?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stick with super blue

If you mix DOT 5 and 4 or 3 together you will have a huge mess on your hands. The DOT 5 will turn your DOT 4 into a nice gel in the brakelines. Super Blue is a DOT 4 and can be combined with your existing DOT 4 without any issues. It's the same blue color you're looking for with a minimum boiling point of 388 degrees. Thats about 75 degrees higher than OEM DOT 4. Stay away from DOT 5, buy ATE Super Blue and save yourself the headache.

·
smokin a Jeffery
4,969 Posts
What is considered a good flush? Do I run a bottle of DOT 5 through the brake system first to flush out the old stuff entirely or is there a better way of cleaning the internals of the old DOT 4 fluid?
no, you have to completely rebuild the entire brake system. tear down the master cylinder, tear down the calipers and rebuild it. i juts read a article on it yesterday. but i cant remember what forum or where i read it. but dot 5 and 5.1 and not compatable with dot 4 or 3.

do the easy way and run dot 4. also, the ATE fluid that alot of guys are using comes in RED or BLUE. red for when you change out the blue.

edit: here ya go. read here
http://hardchargerracing.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2461&highlight=brake+fluid

1 - 13 of 13 Posts